Surber-Joyner 2007 DCC Final 4

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This was a match that had it all from the late great Mike Surber against Cliff Joyner. It's Mike's shot, leading 2-1 in balls. What did he shoot? What would YOU do?? ~Doc

Surber-Joyner 1.jpg

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Good one Doc. I might two rail the six and carom the nine over if it's laying just right, but it might be hitting in the nine too thinly to do it just right. You have to make sure not to scratch..

keoneyo

Verified Member
Well If I was the Ghost I would 3 rail the brown ball (4) on the rail on my side and go 3 rails with the CB towards Joyner's pocket.
I would bank the 10 like Lenny suggested but the 4 is blocking it so no telling what would happen.
The 2 balls on the bottom rail favor Mike so I don't touch those.
I would shoot the green ball 2 rails to my side coming under the 9 leaving Joyner on the long rail frozen.
Or a nit move would be to shoot the red ball into the 15, getting rid of balls on his side and drawing back freezing him to the 2 balls on the bottom. A simple but effective move can be done a great percentage of the time without any aggressive response.
Depends on how I assess the situation.

Looking it over I thought shooting the red ball into the 9 going 2 rails and putting it on my side and the 9 banks off the long rail towards my side-freezing Whitey to the bottom 2 would be a good alternative.

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Looks to me he can bank the 5 ball and play position on the pink 4 ball.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Looks to me he can bank the 5 ball and play position on the pink 4 ball.

Bill S.

I like two rails on the 6ball if he can hit the six where he needs to hit it. If that shot is not available I would play off the 4ball and try to drop under the 5ball.

Dr. Bill

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
It's stretching, but there might be possibilities to bank the three off the nine, parking the CB on the side rail. Might open up that 2-ball cluster. Might even 2-rail the 9 on your side.

I'd only consider it if it was lined up dead straight, though.

Not my first choice but I am always on the lookout for an in-off bank.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
last week i watched a dvd match cole dickson v rudy luat. dickson played this shot with impunity. i spent about an hour learning and getting the feel for it a couple nights ago. dead center ball firm.

surber.jpg

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I like Dr. Bill's choice of two railing the six but I would be somewhat concerned with the possibility of clipping the bottom half of the nine. If that happens the corner pocket may offer the welcome mat. I want to avoid the nine ball altogether. Hit the high side with the speed needed to bring the six back to your hole can result in selling out he fifteen.

Like Bill, my alternative is to slide off the pink balls and back softly trying to nestle into the two balls along the bottom rail. Hook 'em and you may benefit by getting a better look at the balls on Joyner's side of the table.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
last week i watched a dvd match cole dickson v rudy luat. dickson played this shot with impunity. i spent about an hour learning and getting the feel for it a couple nights ago. dead center ball firm.

View attachment 11222

"YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!" Johnny Mac. Come out of the clouds and get your feet on the ground big guy. There's a time and place for everything. :D

Tom

keoneyo

Verified Member
For me, the only problem with thinning off the pink to freeze to the 2 balls on the rail is that you put another ball on your opponents side.
I still like shooting the 3 into the 9 putting both balls on your side and lightly drawing onto the 2 balls on the bottom rail. Hoping to freeze whitey on them

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
After reading all the options everyone has made, I still am going to thin the 5 and bring the cue ball under the two balls on the bottom rail. You have to remember you are playing Cliff , you just can't hope you leave him bad, you have to leave him bad.---Smitty

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It looks like if you can see the 6 sufficiently, then it lays perfect to two-rail, with an ideal window to slide below the 9 off the side rail with just about center ball.

The only issue is, what do you shoot next, lol.

Attachments

• 2014-11-02 07_52_32-Greenshot.jpg
    2014-11-02 07_52_32-Greenshot.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Surber-Joyner 2007 DCC Final 4

It looks like if you can see the 6 sufficiently, then it lays perfect to two-rail, with an ideal window to slide below the 9 off the side rail with just about center ball.

The only issue is, what do you shoot next, lol.

Steve that shot does look good and as far as the next shot if that one goes then one rail the 15.---Smitty

Good one. I'd one rail the 9 next I think

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Shoot the six ball two rails to your hole, punch banking the nine ball towards your hole with a 12 o'clock cue ball, and the natural carom off the nine ball will drive the cue ball thru the 15 and down table. The whole shot is based on ones ability to ''feel'' the release of the six to the nine....this angle lays well for that natural to be there. Cliff would definitely take this sweep shot if it was his turn.

Last edited: