****The Secret of the Half Ball****

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I thought I'd try to instruct the viewers/members with some of the information I've learned and developed over the past 50 years, instead of ALL that other stuff going on in the "M.O." section! So here goes!

Here's an excerpt from a chapter in my book, "The Concise Book of Position Play," entitled, "Half Ball Position Shots." I devised this method of "Aiming" around 1983, I've found it invaluable. It describes, whether you're a billiard or pool player how to AIM at "Half Ball" shots, with NO English, (12, center and 6 O'clock English) and with English.

The Half-Ball Aiming System

THE KEY FACTOR in my game's acceleration over the years is what I've learned regarding the achievement of maximum effect and speed with the help of my late mentor and best friend Ernie Presto. People have always been kind enough to ask, "Why does your cue ball always seem to have so much life to it with so little effort?" Well, part of it is due to the hand/eye coordination nature gave me. I can't help you with that. But, it mostly has to do with how I strike the object ball. I can help you there.

Obviously one of the KEY factors is having the ability to recognize a "Half Ball" shots when they present themselves! Also, let me describe, (Inside of OB Shots and Outside of OB shots). An "Inside" of the object Ball shots means, the English you apply to the CB is the "OPPOSITE" side of the OB you're contacting! The "Outside" of the object ball shots means, the English you apply to the CB is the "SAME" as side of the OB you're contacting! See: Diagram 1

One of my secrets is this: Whenever I can, “I try to hit the first ball exactly half-full,” (as close to half-full as possible). The reasons are quite enlightening. 1) It's the purest form of carom you can make, because you're hitting equal parts of the ball with very predictable deflection results 2) All things being equal, the cue ball and the object ball both travel at the same speed after a half-ball hit, so calculating the speed of the shot for position is easier 3). Making a half-ball hit throws the object ball off the cushion with the most English. 4) And with the exception of aiming for thin-ball hits, half-ball hits are the easiest to visualize and execute with or without English on the cue ball.

View attachment 10463
Diagram 1

First, how to aim correctly for a half-ball hit. It doesn’t matter which side of the object ball you hit with or without English: Diagram 1, pg 91, shows the proper way to aim without English that is, 12 O’clock, center, or 6 O’clock on the cue ball. Simply aim the tip of your cue at the edge of the object ball. This produces a pure half-ball hit. To aim for such a hit with English, you find your desired point of contact on the cue ball and aim at the opposite point on the object ball. For example, to apply 2 tips of 11 O’clock English, you will aim at a point representing 2 tips of 1 O’clock English shown in Diagram 2. Try this you'll be amazed at its accuracy.

View attachment 10464
Diagram 2

This method of aiming is a "BASE" for making different contact points on the OB. It's NOT a stretch to figure out with a little practice how to apply this method for, 1/8,1/4,1/3,2/3 and 3/4 ball hits.

The one other hit that should be obvious to everyone is the, "Thin Ball" hit. All you do is the line up the, "Outside" edges of the CB and OB with NO English. When applying English trying to make a thin hit you have to allow for some type and amount of "squirt" depending on, (speed, distance and amount of English) used!

I hope this information will help viewers/members with aiming at theses types of shots.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I try to use 1/2 ball as much as possible for the "moving" part of One Pocket for just the reasons you mention -- you get something to aim at, you get your greatest margin of error and you get your most predictable carom angle!

I am not sure I fully understand your aiming technique when it comes to the left & right english though. Or maybe I do -- let's say I am putting top right english on the cue ball --2 oclock -- then if I aim my cue straight through the 2 oclock cue tip contact point at the cue ball, straight on through to what would then be the 10 oclock point on the object ball (cutting the object ball to my right with inside english), then that approximates a half ball hit. For outside english that point is the equivalent spot on an imaginary ball if it was placed next to the object ball if I understand correctly.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I try to use 1/2 ball as much as possible for the "moving" part of One Pocket for just the reasons you mention -- you get something to aim at, you get your greatest margin of error and you get your most predictable carom angle!

I am not sure I fully understand your aiming technique when it comes to the left & right english though. Or maybe I do -- let's say I am putting top right english on the cue ball --2 oclock -- then if I aim my cue straight through the 2 oclock cue tip contact point at the cue ball, straight on through to what would then be the 10 oclock point on the object ball (cutting the object ball to my right with inside english), then that approximates a half ball hit. For outside english that point is the equivalent spot on an imaginary ball if it was placed next to the object ball if I understand correctly.

100%, Steve! VERY GOOD!

The diagrams, are pretty "self explanatory," I hope! If NOT, anyone can reply, and I'll be MORE than eager to explain in depth!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
That's an interesting technique, Bill, and it looks really useful when you're contacting the cue ball about halfway from its center to its edge (at the "quarter ball" point), as you show it.

But (unless I misunderstand) it gets less accurate the farther you get from the quarter ball point - for instance, here's how it lines up if you're hitting the cue ball close to center.

pj
chgo
View attachment 31338

Attachments

• half ball.jpg
    half ball.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Patrick; Are you implying that the diagrams DO NOT demonstrate a "HALF BALL" contact! With or without English.

I don't understand what YOUR inferring about the 1/4 ball contact, relating to my diagrams! Explain if you can, please!

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Patrick; Are you implying that the diagrams DO NOT demonstrate a "HALF BALL" contact! With or without English.

I don't understand what YOUR inferring about the 1/4 ball contact, relating to my diagrams! Explain if you can, please!
Your diagrams do show a half ball hit, because the tip contacts the CB near the 1/4 ball point, and lining up the CB/OB quarters does make a half ball overlap.

But if the tip contacts the CB farther from the 1/4 ball point, like in my diagram, then aiming at the mirror image point on the OB creates a different overlap.

Maybe that's not what you meant, and if so, my bad for confusing things.

If it is what you meant, then your technique still works perfectly for centerball and maximum (3 o'clock or 9 o'clock) English, and you just have to be aware that some adjustment is needed for other tip offsets.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Your diagrams do show a half ball hit, because the tip contacts the CB near the 1/4 ball point, and lining up the CB/OB quarters does make a half ball overlap.

But if the tip contacts the CB farther from the 1/4 ball point, like in my diagram, then aiming at the mirror image point on the OB creates a different overlap.

Maybe that's not what you meant, and if so, my bad for confusing things.

pj
chgo

Patrick; Maybe what might be confusing to you is, in REALITY ALL 3 diagrams are the SAME! Just the applied English is DIFFERENT! This is a, "Cue Tip Aiming Method," I've been using this method of aiming for over 30 years!

I think it's pretty simple to understand, even when shooting off the "Outside" of the ball! Simply put, using Right Hand English, Hitting the Right side of the Object ball!

I don't think I can make it any clearer than that.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Patrick; Maybe what might be confusing to you is, in REALITY ALL 3 diagrams are the SAME! Just the applied English is DIFFERENT! This is a, "Cue Tip Aiming Method," I've been using this method of aiming for over 30 years!

I think it's pretty simple to understand, even when shooting off the "Outside" of the ball! Simply put, using Right Hand English, Hitting the Right side of the Object ball!

I don't think I can make it any clearer than that.
However you do it, Bill, it obviously works great for you. Thanks for the tip!

pj
chgo

pvclou

Verified Member

Pretty cool stuff. Thank you, Mr3cushion.

pvclou

Verified Member

I do see what Patrick is saying. Suppose you want to make 1/2 ball hit cutting OB to left but hitting CB with 2 tips English at 3 o'clock. That means aim tip through CB at 9 o'clock on OB. That don't seem right in my mind's eye.

Can you diagram that for us Mr3cushion?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I do see what Patrick is saying. Suppose you want to make 1/2 ball hit cutting OB to left but hitting CB with 2 tips English at 3 o'clock. That means aim tip through CB at 9 o'clock on OB. That don't seem right in my mind's eye.

Can you diagram that for us Mr3cushion?

PVCLOU: Here's a SIMPLE explanation and isolated diagram to help YOU.

Maybe you and some others missed the key word in the explanation of how to "AIM" at "Half Ball" shots! The key word is, "OPPOSITE" the point of contact and, "OPPOSITE the English, e.g. If using "MAXIMUM" 3 O'clock English, you AIM at, "MINIMUM" 9 O'clock English on the object ball, (or ALMOST aiming at the CENTER of IMAGINARY OB)! If you took a closer look at the first example, ("Outside of the Object Ball") in the original diagram, it's self explanatory!

But, I will admit the half ball hit off the outside of the ball is the most difficult to comprehend, because you have NO IVISIBLE target to aim at, ONLY in yours minds eye!
With diligent practice, and not after a couple of hours, it will become second nature to envision the contact point on the imaginary ball.

View attachment 10471

I hope this clears things up, for you and anyone else.

P.S. I guess I should explain a little something about myself, when it comes to instructing. In certain lessons or examples of methods, situations or shot selections, I sometimes deliberately exclude a small part of the formula. The reason being I want the student to THINK, I wait to see if they can provide the answer by figuring it out themselves! That's what I did here! Never be afraid to ask questions and think on your own if something doesn't make sense to you. In anything I endeavored at, I ALWAYS want to know to know the, "Who, Why and Where of a problem!

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
If anyone has noticed, each time I "edit" my last post, I give a up one more little peice of the puzzle! ;)

I guess I'm just sadistic!:JK :lol:lol:loll

pvclou

Verified Member

Ah I see now that there were two parts of your method that I missed. I can explore it now. Thanks!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
PVCLOU: Here's a SIMPLE explanation and isolated diagram to help YOU.

Maybe you and some others missed the key word in the explanation of how to "AIM" at "Half Ball" shots! The key word is, "OPPOSITE" the point of contact and, "OPPOSITE the English, e.g. If using "MAXIMUM" 3 O'clock English, you AIM at, "MINIMUM" 9 O'clock English on the object ball! If you took a closer look at the first example, ("Outside of the Object Ball") in the original diagram, it's self explanatory!

View attachment 10471

I hope this clears things up, for you and anyone else.
Thanks, Bill; that does clear things up a little for me.

Another way of looking at the "maximum vs. minimum" thing (that might be easier for some of us) is to always line up the distance from the CENTER of the cueball with the distance from the EDGE of the object ball (or imaginary object ball), like the diagram below, remembering that with inside English you use the real object ball and with outside English you use the imaginary object ball.

pj
chgo

View attachment 93683

Attachments

• mr3cushion's way.jpg
    mr3cushion's way.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks, Bill; that does clear things up a little for me.

Another way of looking at the "maximum vs. minimum" thing (that might be easier for some of us) is to always line up the distance from the CENTER of the cueball with the distance from the EDGE of the object ball (or imaginary object ball), like the diagram below.

pj
chgo

View attachment 93683

That's SEEMS fine when you're using, 3 O'clock or 9 O'clock English! Please diagram and explain how that theory works using, 1,2,4 5, 7 8 10 and 11 O'clock English!

Inquiring minds want to know! I stole this from someone! :lol:lol:lol

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
That's SEEMS fine when you're using, 3 O'clock or 9 O'clock English! Please diagram and explain how that theory works using, 1,2,4 5, 7 8 10 and 11 O'clock English!

Inquiring minds want to know! I stole this from someone! :lol:lol:lol
Then you just use the vertical center axis of the CB and a matching vertical "edge axis" on the OB. A little more imagination needed, but might still be useful for some of us,

I'm not trying to say this is better than your way of visualizing it, Bill, just an alternative way of visualizing the same thing for those who might find it useful.

pj
chgo

View attachment 96373

Attachments

• mr3cushion's wayB.jpg
    mr3cushion's wayB.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Then you just use the vertical center axis of the CB and a matching vertical "edge axis" on the OB. A little more imagination needed, but might still be useful for some of us,

I'm not trying to say this is better than your way of visualizing it, Bill, just an alternative way of visualizing the same thing for those who might find it useful.

pj
chgo

View attachment 96373

Patrick; YOU think this explanation and diagram is MORE easily understood than mine? What could be MORE simpler than to just aim at the EXACT OPPOSITE point on the OB as on the CB! SOUNDS SIMPLE TO ME!

Also, I think it's MUSH easier to apply English to the CB in terms of "Clock English" than the one or two tips of English method! The "Clock" method works PERFECT and is MORE accurate for these types of shots!

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Patrick; YOU think this explanation and diagram is MORE easily understood than mine? What could be MORE simpler than to just aim at the EXACT OPPOSITE point on the OB as on the CB! SOUNDS SIMPLE TO ME!
Like I said in my post, "I'm not trying to say this is better than your way of visualizing it, Bill, just an alternative way".

Jeez...

pj
chgo