Players, Hustlers,Stakehorses and others

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Butch still is a character. I talked to him right after Freddie passed. He lives in Escondido north of San Diego.

I met him in LA at one of the joints and we played some $5 three red ball snooker on the 5 x 10. I had him stuck $15 and a friend of mine walked in and said "You know who you are playing? I said No. He said that is Brooklyn Butch, you piss him off he might knock you out and turn the table over on you".

Butch won the next three games, we went out to eat and have been friends ever since.

Its amazing tat almost all these people I no.Lenny introduced me to Butch I had no Idea who Butch was. As I remember Butch had some kind of invention. He was working on. But Lenny was living with me with his wife Karon. She was very nice and Friendly. Lenny was a great swing dancer. And he has many talents.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Keone; Do you remember a VERY nice little Pilipino guy they called, "Smitty." He played down at "Hollywood Billiards," played ALL games good, but his specialty was "snooker" on a 5x10. Just wondering if he ever made it out to, HOB.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Keone; Do you remember a VERY nice little Pilipino guy they called, "Smitty." He played down at "Hollywood Billiards," played ALL games good, but his specialty was "snooker" on a 5x10. Just wondering if he ever made it out to, HOB.

Smitty is actually Thai from what I know. From what I hear he along with Tang Hoa have kind of given up the game and gone on to playing poker.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Smitty is actually Thai from what I know. From what I hear he along with Tang Hoa have kind of given up the game and gone on to playing poker.

Smitty was a valet at one of the big hotels downtown. He was a very good snooker player and almost unbeatable at Hollwood. He beat Morro a time or two betting fairly high.

baby huey

Verified Member
Smitty still plays Snooker at a private Snooker Club in Hollywood patronized by mostly asians from Thailand. As John Henderson noted he rarely came out of Hollywood and I don't think I ever saw him lose playing snooker especially 3 reds on a tough table. Back in those days if you could beat him at Hollywood Billiards you could win a ton. A few tried and got absolutely drilled. He played pretty sporty golf too.

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
sixties and seventies

sixties and seventies

Many of these players and characters I knew back in the day. I also played some of them in tournament play and private games. No doubt the action was good around the country from late sixties to early seventies. Probably one of the best action spots in the country was the LeQue club in down town Houston. I watched and learned from the great players that routinely happened thru there to test their skills. If some one wanted some action they could choose from a pretty good list of locals consisting of Greg Stevens, Tall Jimmy, Tall Jeff Sparks, Jack Terry, San Jose Dick, Alf Taylor, John (DUKE) Powell, Rodney Stevens, Marcos, Whitey Wilson, James Christopher, Jersey Red, Black Diamond, Freddy Sessions, Grady Mathews, Arturo, myself "Squirrel" as I was known in the day and others that I can' remember off hand.

Most of the great players came thru here for action games. Some pass thru's were Ronnie Allen, Jim Rempe, U.J. Puckett, Jimmy Moore, Larry Lascotti, Eddie Kelly, Buddy Hall, Eddie Burton, Cole Dickson, Ritchie Florence, Alibi AL and so on.
Some of the players that myself have played follows, Greg Stevens, Freddy The Beard, Grady Mathews, John "DUKE" Powell, Tall Jeff, Rodney Stevens, Ronnie Allen, Irving Crane, Marcos, Whitey Wilson, Cole Dickson, Larry Lascotti, Jimmy Fusco, Geese, Charlie The Bump, Blackie Laseur, Boston Shorty, Luther Lassiter, Florida Red, Buddy Hall, Eddie Burton, Freddie Sessions, Beenie Weenie and so on. What an adventure it was!

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Many of these players and characters I knew back in the day. I also played some of them in tournament play and private games. No doubt the action was good around the country from late sixties to early seventies. Probably one of the best action spots in the country was the LeQue club in down town Houston. I watched and learned from the great players that routinely happened thru there to test their skills. If some one wanted some action they could choose from a pretty good list of locals consisting of Greg Stevens, Tall Jimmy, Tall Jeff Sparks, Jack Terry, San Jose Dick, Alf Taylor, John (DUKE) Dowell, Rodney Stephens, MarcUs, Whitey Wilson, James Christopher, Jersey Red, Black Diamond, Freddy Sessions, Grady Mathews, Arturo, myself "Squirrel" as I was known in the day and others that I can' remember off hand.

Most of the great players came thru here for action games. Some pass thru's were Ronnie Allen, Jim Rempe, U.J. Puckett, Jimmy Moore, Larry Lascotti, Eddie Kelly, Buddy Hall, Eddie Burton, Cole Dickson, Ritchie Florence, Alibi AL and so on.
Some of the players that I myself have played follows, Greg Stevens, Freddy The Beard, Grady Mathews, John "DUKE" Dowell, Tall Jeff, Rodney Stephens, Ronnie Allen, Irving Crane, Marcus, Whitey Wilson, Cole Dickson, Larry Lascotti, Jimmy Fusco, Geese, Charlie The Bump (Brooklyn Charlie/Bumpy faced Charlie ), Blackie Laseur, Boston Shorty, Luther Lassiter, Florida Red, Buddy Hall, Eddie Burton, Freddie Sessions, Beenie Weenie and so on. What an adventure it was!

We never knew at the time what a special era it was !
To add a few to Keith's list.
Curtis"Swamp rat" tally, Joe Dimaggio, Peter Rabbit, Delaware Larry, Bugs, Ritchie Florence, Toby, LA Nate, Jack Perkins, Denny Searcy, Blue Shirt, Arguing Paul ( I'm guessing Paul Jones) Hanky Panky(Joe Beauman,from Johnson city Tenn.), Dave sisemore, Harley Bryant, Don Watson, Bill Lawson (one of the best), Wade Crane(Billy johnson), Buddy Hall, St Louie Louie, Mike Segal, Larry Hubbard, Marcel Camp, Jimmie"Fly Boy" Spears, Ritchie Ambrose, Sonny Springer, Of course the great "New York/Minnisota" Fats, Cannelo, Jim Mataya. I'm tired now more later.
Rod,
P.S.Keith, Great to have you posting.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Curtis"Swamp rat" tally, Joe Dimaggio, Peter Rabbit, Delaware Larry, Bugs, Ritchie Florence, Toby, LA Nate, Jack Perkins, Denny Searcy, Blue Shirt, Arguing Paul ( I'm guessing Paul Jones) Hanky Panky(Joe Beauman,from Johnson city Tenn.), Dave sisemore, Harley Bryant, Don Watson, Bill Lawson (one of the best), Wade Crane(Billy johnson), Buddy Hall, St Louie Louie, Mike Segal, Larry Hubbard, Marcel Camp, Jimmie"Fly Boy" Spears, Ritchie Ambrose, Sonny Springer, Of course the great "New York/Minnisota" Fats, Cannelo, Jim Mataya. I'm tired now more later.
Rod,

The "Cannelo" that is mentioned, is that "Johnny Cannelo" from Mexico? If so, He's the MOST perfect pool player I've ever seen play! An absolute perfect stroke, timing and tempo! His pin-point position playing 8 ball was something to watch! I lost my money betting against him playing Artie 8 ball at Freddy's Northshore club. I had never seen Artie lose to anyone playing 8 ball, this time he had NO chance of winning! Cannelo, literally missed 2 balls in 8 hours! I NEVER enjoyed losing my money, this time I could of cared less.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
The "Cannelo" that is mentioned, is that "Johnny Cannelo" from Mexico? If so, He's the MOST perfect pool player I've ever seen play! An absolute perfect stroke, timing and tempo! His pin-point position playing 8 ball was something to watch! I lost my money betting against him playing Artie 8 ball at Freddy's Northshore club. I had never seen Artie lose to anyone playing 8 ball, this time he had NO chance of winning! Cannelo, literally missed 2 balls in 8 hours! I NEVER enjoyed losing my money, this time I could of cared less.

Bill, Nicky Vlahos had a stroke like that. It was a thing of beauty and what a talent.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Canelo came to SoCal in the early 80's with a big time gambler from Odessa, Tx named Leon. I asked Leon why they were here, and he answered ' Keith McCready. If he give us anything, we will play'.

Evidently Keith's Stakehorse, Charlie The Ape, had heard something about him because I don't think they ever played, or at least not that time.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bill, Nicky Vlahos had a stroke like that. It was a thing of beauty and what a talent.

One of the best swings I've ever seen was from TX, his name was Gilbert Martinez, I ran into him again when he moved to Vegas. Back then and of course Danny D. whom I ran into in Miami in nineteen sixty nine, or sixty eight. The Miz, well he too had it, of course. But Gilbert swung it more ''effortlessly'' than any other player I've ever seen anywhere, it was too simple.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One of the best swings I've ever seen was from TX, his name was Gilbert Martinez, I ran into him again when he moved to Vegas. Back then and of course Danny D. whom I ran into in Miami in nineteen sixty nine, or sixty eight. The Miz, well he too had it, of course. But Gilbert swung it more ''effortlessly'' than any other player I've ever seen anywhere, it was too simple.

His father was also an excellent player, and Gilbert started young. :)
Rod.
P.S. He was to young for the LeCue.
The nicest stroke I saw was Gabby. He's now helping grow some crops for the State, where he belongs.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Lets not forget about Dallas West, he had one of the prettiest strokes of all time. Steve Mizerak, as you also have mentioned imo had such an effortless way of going through the ball, he was an incredible player and my favorite to watch play. Now Danny D. :confused: not really impressed with his stroke..the man could flat out play but his stroke was not an intimidating one at all.:sorry Maybe you're talking about another Danny D...i'm referring to Danny Diliberto.

Bill Incardona

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
His father was also an excellent player, and Gilbert started young. :)
Rod.
P.S. He was to young for the LeCue.
The nicest stroke I saw was Gabby. He's now helping grow some crops for the State, where he belongs.

Gabby and I played Many times in So. Cal. 76-81. He had that Smile, and after Every beating I gave him, he would Always say, ''slim I can't beat U''. Saw em later on at Red's in Houston matched up with Jerry Brock, when Brock was testing out the latest gimmick, fiberglass shafts. My pick would of been Jerry to win that, but with that shaft hard to say. Brock was the tougher one to beat.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Gabby and I played Many times in So. Cal. 76-81. He had that Smile, and after Every beating I gave him, he would Always say, ''slim I can't beat U''. Saw em later on at Red's in Houston matched up with Jerry Brock, when Brock was testing out the latest gimmick, fiberglass shafts. My pick would of been Jerry to win that, but with that shaft hard to say. Brock was the tougher one to beat.

I played Gabby at Five Points Bowl and after losing a couple sets and watching him never use a closed bridge, I told him I might not beat him but would at least get him off his thumb. I was wrong and lost another set.

Never did see him use a closed bridge.

Brock was in California 3/4 years back at Family Billiards in San Francisco. I did not know who he was and he asked me to play nine ball. They thought I would then offer to play one pocket, but he was with a nut hunter and I left him alone. After a while I remembered who I thought it was and verified it with Cole Dickson. He would not knock it but would not lie to me either. Pure old school.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Anybody have any stotes on Mondo?
Armondo Cannales out of tx. His dad owned a bar around
SanAntonio I believe. Dad would kick the cueball off the tit of side pkt.
Bet was all 6 holes in like 13/15 shot

Mondo was a strong 9 baller- played Hall hill-hill in big trnmnt
championship.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I played Gabby at Five Points Bowl and after losing a couple sets and watching him never use a closed bridge, I told him I might not beat him but would at least get him off his thumb. I was wrong and lost another set.

Never did see him use a closed bridge.

Was a guy around here in the mid 60's that mostly used an open bridge.
His name was MacDonald.
One of the best I've been around, learned many things from him.
He played lighting fast.

I asked Mosconi about him, he said Mac was the best straight pool player of all the pool hustlers. Another older fellow said after Caras won the title in Milwaukee, Mac played him a high dollar match and beat Caras. I saw him beat Canadian Pete on a bar table so fast Pete could hardly get his breath

Some that knew him called him Blackie others called him Sarge.

Jersey Red said mac was friends with Bert Walker, who owned a room in Lawton Okla.
Bert was on everybody's sucker list.
Mac agreed to watch the room while Bert took his wife on vacation.

Soon hustlers were coming into Houston saying "boy that Bert Walker must have really improved" They'd go into the room and ask does anyone like to play and the rack man would say, the old guy who has this place is by the back table. :D
Rod.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Curtis"Swamp rat" tally, Joe Dimaggio, Peter Rabbit, Delaware Larry, Bugs, Ritchie Florence, Toby, LA Nate, Jack Perkins, Denny Searcy, Blue Shirt, Arguing Paul ( I'm guessing Paul Jones) Hanky Panky(Joe Beauman,from Johnson city Tenn.), Dave sisemore, Harley Bryant, Don Watson, Bill Lawson (two of the best), Wade Crane(Billy johnson), Buddy Hall, St Louie Louie, Mike Segal, Larry Hubbard, Marcel Camp, Jimmie"Fly Boy" Spears, Ritchie Ambrose, Sonny Springer, Of course the great "New York/Minnisota" Fats, Cannelo, Jim Mataya. I'm tired now more later.
Rod,

A few more I didn't want to omit.
Jack Cooney, Bob Ogburn, Ray Booth, Calhoun, The great Keith Macready, San Deigo Dave, Kenny Anderson, Lovito from Mexico city.
Lovito came back from a road trip and told Tall Jimmy, pool iss no good for us, you're too tall and I'm to chort. Every where I go They say" it is hem".

Several players coming through like it so well they stayed more than a year.
Rod.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Lets not forget about Dallas West, he had one of the prettiest strokes of all time. Steve Mizerak, as you also have mentioned imo had such an effortless way of going through the ball, he was an incredible player and my favorite to watch play. Now Danny D. :confused: not really impressed with his stroke..the man could flat out play but his stroke was not an intimidating one at all.:sorry Maybe you're talking about another Danny D...i'm referring to Danny Diliberto.

Bill Incardona

Yep I did mean Diliberto, but the last time I saw his swing was at the Congress in Miami in late sixties, and there I saw a 6x12 for the first time, and was amazed at its size. Back then, being a kid I was impressed how he seemed to effortlessly roll the ball most every shot, and his 14.1 was very solid at that time, but not TOP notch.