efren/scott # ???

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
tough spot. nice hook. think you gotta hold on here. billiard off the 9 and try to snug up against the solid in front of effies hole.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
tough spot. nice hook. think you gotta hold on here. billiard off the 9 and try to snug up against the solid in front of effies hole.

From the bevel on the pockets it doesn't look like he can hit the 9 ball.
Rod.
P.S. Maybe carom off the ball closest to the CB ?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Rod.

if that's the case, what else is there? gofer time?

(i saw figueroa jump over the corner hook on a side pocket once....)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Rod.

Me too. For those who know caroms, plot the course of a CENTER BALL carom off of that ball to the long rail and then behind the ball near the pocket. If the cue ball contacts the object ball with a DEAD CENTER BALL action, it will take a perfect path to whatever route you laid out. Not as hard as it seems. The hard part in this particular layout is being able to cue the cueball properly out of that pocket.

If I was, bridge hand flat on the table, and could level my cuestick, I would bet I could hit an 8 inch area of that long rail ten out of ten. Center ball caroms are one of the easiest and most effective tools you can put in your arsenal.

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Me too. For those who know caroms, plot the course of a CENTER BALL carom off of that ball to the long rail and then behind the ball near the pocket. If the cue ball contacts the object ball with a DEAD CENTER BALL action, it will take a perfect path to whatever route you laid out. Not as hard as it seems. The hard part in this particular layout is being able to cue the cueball properly out of that pocket.

If I was, bridge hand flat on the table, and could level my cuestick, I would bet I could hit an 8 inch area of that long rail ten out of ten. Center ball caroms are one of the easiest and most effective tools you can put in your arsenal.

Beard

good advice frddy
thumbsup.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Rod.

this match is a player review with scott discussing with mark wilson his thoughts on the layouts
from his comments it seemed he couldnt see the 9
wilson suggested a soft kick at the 5
scott thought he might leave a window for efren to bank something AT the 5 so he took a foul
(for a cookie 1on1 you need to tell how you would take a foul..:D)
p.s. tom i like the ticki idea
heres scotts shot and how he left efren
se2.jpg

se3.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
this match is a player review with scott discussing with mark wilson his thoughts on the layouts
from his comments it seemed he couldnt see the 9
wilson suggested a soft kick at the 5
scott thought he might leave a window for efren to bank something AT the 5 so he took a foul
(for a cookie 1on1 you need to tell how you would take a foul..:D)
p.s. tom i like the ticki idea
heres scotts shot and how he left efren
View attachment 9461

View attachment 9462

From the diagram it looked like he was corner hooked and couldnt kick far enough down the rail to either hit or drop behind the ball by the pocket. If he could see enough rail then the kick was the right shot.

Beard

tylerdurden

Verified Member
That speed was phenomenal. I wish I could do that, and I don't go saying that all the time either. I find it very difficult to roll balls onto a spot like that.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
From the diagram it looked like he was corner hooked and couldnt kick far enough down the rail to either hit or drop behind the ball by the pocket. If he could see enough rail then the kick was the right shot.

Beard

If he could see the rail to kick then obviously that would be the shot. I like your carom suggestion, however, it doesn't look like the natural angle is there for your shot. Lets assume that Frost couldn't see the rail to kick and your carom angle wasn't a natural one, then what would you do??

I would shoot the "masse"out of the corner and create the angle to kick softly toward the 5ball. Most importantly I would masse kick with a speed soft enough not to go around the 5ball if not hit well.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I tried this a half of dozen times and was able to do it half of the time but in the times I did it I didn't hit a rail after worth which would still be ok. I think a player with Scott's ability would have a much higher percentage than I did.

But I like Tom Wirth's shot much better.

bend shot.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think Scott's selection was brilliant, and executed to perfection. He couldn't have placed the CB by hand any better than that. Unless Efren then followed with an intentional also, it would've been very difficult NOT to leave some kind of shot for Frost to take.

If he had been corner hooked from the shot, Scott would almost have had to shoot Fred's carom. There's really not that much else there. I'm not sure that the ticky on the 9 is even on. Looks to me like the CB might have to be shot into the rail north of the point. The scratch looms as well.

And Bill's soft masse would almost be a trick shot: to hit it with enough oomph to get it to curve sufficiently-- and to still have it land right behind the 5. If it were hit hard enough to knock away the 5, then Efren has all kinds of return shots.

Frost's move presumably paid off. He must have won that game, because I think another picture showed them tied at 2.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think Scott's selection was brilliant, and executed to perfection. He couldn't have placed the CB by hand any better than that. Unless Efren then followed with an intentional also, it would've been very difficult NOT to leave some kind of shot for Frost to take.

If he had been corner hooked from the shot, Scott would almost have had to shoot Fred's carom. There's really not that much else there. I'm not sure that the ticky on the 9 is even on. Looks to me like the CB might have to be shot into the rail north of the point. The scratch looms as well.

And Bill's soft masse would almost be a trick shot: to hit it with enough oomph to get it to curve sufficiently-- and to still have it land right behind the 5. If it were hit hard enough to knock away the 5, then Efren has all kinds of return shots.

Frost's move presumably paid off. He must have won that game, because I think another picture showed them tied at 2.

Doc

doc efren shot this
and left scott like this
scott shot at the stripe and missed
in the commentary it was revealing he stated he shot it "scared" of giving up the 5
a few moves later EFREN won the game
es8.jpg

es9.jpg