On the road again

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I just spent the last four days in Vegas. Mostly played at pool sharks. Table 1 is the worst playing Diamond I've ever played on. Who is Fred? The older guy, grey hair, wears glasses. He plays great 1P. Also played Lou F. at Best Billiards.

Just got to Hard Times in Bellflower. I've haven't been here in 20 years. I'm in L. A. till Tuesday

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Hey Jim. I was there last month. Table 1 is as tight a table as I've ever played on. Played a very good 1p player named Steve Ito. Nice guy if you run into him. See you next month partner.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just spent the last four days in Vegas. Mostly played at pool sharks. Table 1 is the worst playing Diamond I've ever played on. Who is Fred? The older guy, grey hair, wears glasses. He plays great 1P. Also played Lou F. at Best Billiards.

Just got to Hard Times in Bellflower. I've haven't been here in 20 years. I'm in L. A. till Tuesday
Jim, is the Lou F. you mentioned-- Lou Figueroa? If so, I wonder what he was doing in Vegas? Sounds like you had a good trip...

Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Does this site NOT have the correct time stamp?, seems to still be on "Daylight" savings time. What's up!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Jim, is the Lou F. you mentioned-- Lou Figueroa? If so, I wonder what he was doing in Vegas? Sounds like you had a good trip...

Doc

Yep, Lou was in Vegas to watch the USA get their ass woopin.

Best has some nice 3c tables and one tight 10 footer.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

im guessing fred is Freddy Boggs. Good player

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

how did you do against lou??
pm ok...:D

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Jim, I think you are referring to Fred Boggs. He used to live in my area of Md. We used to play quite frequently and yes, he is a very good One Pocket Player. The D. C. area has for many decades been a hot bed of quality One Pocket players. We all learned from each other and because Jack & Jill's Cue Club in Shirlington, Va. hosted the biggest tournaments in the country for many years, thanks to Weenie Beenie and friends, we enjoyed watching and playing all the champions of the fifties, sixties, and seventies. Wow was that ever sweet to be a part of. :)

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Jim, I think you are referring to Fred Boggs. He used to live in my area of Md. We used to play quite frequently and yes, he is a very good One Pocket Player. The D. C. area has for many decades been a hot bed of quality One Pocket players. We all learned from each other and because Jack & Jill's Cue Club in Shirlington, Va. hosted the biggest tournaments in the country for many years, thanks to Weenie Beenie and friends, we enjoyed watching and playing all the champions of the fifties, sixties, and seventies. Wow was that ever sweet to be a part of. :)

Tom

I really missed out on the old days of 1P.

I've played Fred Boggs twice now. I'm really impressed. I took several mental notes. Unfortunately I can't play 100% every game and I slowly fell behind. He knows that gaff diamond like the back of his hand.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Update from LA.

Tonight was the 9 ball tourney, but I got into some 1P action. I must look easy:confused: for an unknown I had people asking me to play. I played a very nice black gentleman Jim/James. This guy must be close to 70. I can only hope that I can play that well at his age. Jim had to take the bus so we quit before 9.

I ate at some barbecue place around the corner. They burnt the ribs a little but the baby backs were still good.

So off to Manila Billiards I went, only to find the place closed. Then I went to a good practice room that I know in Van Nuys and they closed down. Oh well, Jim wants to play me again Saturday.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I really missed out on the old days of 1P.

I've played Fred Boggs twice now. I'm really impressed. I took several mental notes. Unfortunately I can't play 100% every game and I slowly fell behind. He knows that gaff diamond like the back of his hand.

I watched him play at the Tournament in Mountain View a couple years ago. I usually jump on any other older players that come around at our tournaments and I am glad I left him alone.

He plays very solid with few mistakes. I heard his brother played as well or better.

The old guy I did jump on was Little Al Romero, and that didn't work out too well for me.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey Jim. I was there last month. Table 1 is as tight a table as I've ever played on. Played a very good 1p player named Steve Ito. Nice guy if you run into him. See you next month partner.

Hi Mitch, I'll let you know if I can make to Derby. That partners game was fun.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Update from LA.

Tonight was the 9 ball tourney, but I got into some 1P action. I must look easy:confused: for an unknown I had people asking me to play. I played a very nice black gentleman Jim/James. This guy must be close to 70. I can only hope that I can play that well at his age. Jim had to take the bus so we quit before 9.

I ate at some barbecue place around the corner. They burnt the ribs a little but the baby backs were still good.

So off to Manila Billiards I went, only to find the place closed. Then I went to a good practice room that I know in Van Nuys and they closed down. Oh well, Jim wants to play me again Saturday.

Sounds like you played Freddy Boggs in Vegas, nice guy, plays good and is always a gentleman.
James at Hard Times also plays a very good game.
How would you rate these guys compared to Lou?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Sounds like you played Freddy Boggs in Vegas, nice guy, plays good and is always a gentleman.
James at Hard Times also plays a very good game.
How would you rate these guys compared to Lou?

Freddy is above my league. On a neutral site I think I'd be a little closer.

James, Lou, and I are all close, I think. I've been wrong before about speed.

Almost everyone I play are gentleman. I rarely get into any arguments. I try not to play jerks. You have to disregard some of the internet stuff that happens. Like sometimes the hacker can go a little overboard but we have a great time playing. I'll play Rob anytime. And Tom Worth, he's a class act all the way. I wish I could see him more often.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Freddy is above my league. On a neutral site I think I'd be a little closer.

James, Lou, and I are all close, I think. I've been wrong before about speed.

Almost everyone I play are gentleman. I rarely get into any arguments. I try not to play jerks. You have to disregard some of the internet stuff that happens. Like sometimes the hacker can go a little overboard but we have a great time playing. I'll play Rob anytime. And Tom Worth, he's a class act all the way. I wish I could see him more often.

Thanks for the kind words Jim, you are too. I hope we get an opportunity to play again before too much time passes. Derby City? That's iffy on my end but who knows.

Tom