N. Feijen vs. S. Woodward (#2) 2013 Tunica

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
People dont like the twice cross corner is often because they dont know much about shooting it. Thems that aint familiar with that shot probably should be playing a different game.:sorry

Beard

Well, if thats the case, you have come to the right store.

Beard

He may have come to the right store but you ain't got nuttin' to sell him:). Just because your usual antagonist is AWOL and I've been busy working doesn't mean that blanket statements like these will go unchecked.

There's no way on this Earth the two-railer is a better shot than banking the 5 cross-side, not with reverse off the second rail. It's an extremely speed-sensitive shot. If you set both up and shot each 100 times, even allowing for increased accuracy the more you shoot it, you'd still make the cross-side more often. Fuggedaboutit.

The only advantage the two-railer holds is the ability to stop the cueball dead. It's not exactly flying around the table on the cross-side though.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
N. Feijen vs. S. Woodward (#2) 2013 Tunica

Its a question of do you like cutting balls or shooting them straight dead in? The 5 goes cross side but it is a severe cut. The cross corner twice is a shot that can be hit dead on, and you know exactly where all the balls are going to be after you shoot it. Cross side 5, and you aint sure where the cue ball or the object ball you run into is going to go. If you want to play a controlled game that is how you do it.

People dont like the twice cross corner is often because they dont know much about shooting it. Thems that aint familiar with that shot probably should be playing a different game.:sorry

Beard

Yes, but once you move the 5-ball, you open up the 4-ball and where it sits now it would suddenly have several good one rail target pockets if you miss the two railer. Plus if you stop the cue ball at the 5-ball location, then the 1-ball could end up a real nice two in the corner.

Mainly I like the cross side on the 5 because the target pocket is so nice and big and the shot is short. Matter of fact I think everyone would like the cross side on the 5 best real quick if you started to move the cue ball up table to lessen the cut just a little. For me, it's already there :)

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
He may have come to the right store but you ain't got nuttin' to sell him:). Just because your usual antagonist is AWOL and I've been busy working doesn't mean that blanket statements like these will go unchecked.

There's no way on this Earth the two-railer is a better shot than banking the 5 cross-side, not with reverse off the second rail. It's an extremely speed-sensitive shot. (Not really. The wideness of that angle is going to guarantee the object ball breaking off of the second rail. Any speed enough to take the ball the required two rails should be ok. Only on a brand new cloth would speed be a difficult operation.) If you set both up and shot each 100 times, even allowing for increased accuracy the more you shoot it, you'd still make the cross-side more often. Fuggedaboutit. (The twice shot is laying perfect. The difference in difficulty between the two shots is really not that much. Not enough to argue about, especially with those not comfortable with a twice shot.)

The only advantage the two-railer holds is the ability to stop the cueball dead. (And that is certainly a significant advantage playing controlled pool). It's not exactly flying around the table on the cross-side though. (Another factor to consider is the score. 0 to 0 in this instance, and the first shot of the game. As long as I have a good option to shoot at, and the cost is minimal, I would be content with just making the twice. However, if I was behind, I would automatically shoot the cross side and hope to make it and get something started. The twice is only a get-one-and-duck situation.)

Dennis

As I said earlier, those that are not familiar with twice shots probably should look for something else. Unfortunately for my opponents, that isnt the case with me.

Beard

Note to Steve Booth: If you are going to start worring about leaving a non-dead-on two in the corner (where the cue ball is not going to adhere to the short rail) to someone, you probably need a much bigger spot.:)

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
He may have come to the right store but you ain't got nuttin' to sell him. Just because your usual antagonist is AWOL and I've been busy working doesn't mean that blanket statements like these will go unchecked.

There's no way on this Earth the two-railer is a better shot than banking the 5 cross-side, not with reverse off the second rail. It's an extremely speed-sensitive shot. (Not really. The wideness of that angle is going to guarantee the object ball breaking off of the second rail. Any speed enough to take the ball the required two rails should be ok. Only on a brand new cloth would speed be a difficult operation.) If you set both up and shot each 100 times, even allowing for increased accuracy the more you shoot it, you'd still make the cross-side more often. Fuggedaboutit. (The twice shot is laying perfect. The difference in difficulty between the two shots is really not that much. Not enough to argue about, especially with those not comfortable with a twice shot.)

The only advantage the two-railer holds is the ability to stop the cueball dead. (And that is certainly a significant advantage playing controlled pool). It's not exactly flying around the table on the cross-side though. (Another factor to consider is the score. 0 to 0 in this instance, and the first shot of the game. As long as I have a good option to shoot at, and the cost is minimal, I would be content with just making the twice. However, if I was behind, I would automatically shoot the cross side and hope to make it and get something started. The twice is only a get-one-and-duck situation.)

Dennis

As I said earlier, those that are not familiar with twice shots probably should look for something else. Unfortunately for my opponents, that isnt the case with me.

Beard

I'll give you this much, for overall risk/reward the two shots are damn near equal. I was just checking your memory to see if you'd dropped a stitch:p.

Early in a match I'd still play the cross-side though.

P.S. Knock off that "uncomfortable or unfamiliar sh*t". Thought I didn't notice it eh???:D

Dennis

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don't like back cutting balls that much so I would go for the 2 railer as well. Would probably shoot the 2 straight back and leave whitey by the 6 before I would back cut the 5.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'll give you this much, for overall risk/reward the two shots are damn near equal. I was just checking your memory to see if you'd dropped a stitch:p.

Early in a match I'd still play the cross-side though.

P.S. Knock off that "uncomfortable or unfamiliar sh*t". Thought I didn't notice it eh???:D

Dennis

Didnt you know I was a master at casting aspersions? I learned my lesson well from another pester-- oops, I mean poster.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I don't like back cutting balls that much so I would go for the 2 railer as well. Would probably shoot the 2 straight back and leave whitey by the 6 before I would back cut the 5.

I like your thinking in this situation, looks like the 2ball is a pretty good shot in terms of controlling the cue ball and pocketing the ball. The 5ball twice across is also a good shot because you're looking right at it and if you're familiar with that type of a shot you should hit it well.

Bill Incardona

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
5 ball

5 ball

I like the 5 ball across the side, or twice across the side, which is an easy shot on a new diamond. I also like it twice across the corner. But what do i know?

Last edited: