Five Points Bowl and Other SoCal Action Circa 1970

Gameface

First off, I'm new (lurked forever) so let me thank all the powers that be for running a great site.

Now then let's get down to business. As a kid, my father would often tell me his war stories about growing up in a Pool Hall/ Bowling Alley. The hustles, colorful characters, gambling, etc. Being a denezin of El Monte, CA that meant Five Points. He would often say that he attended Arroyo High School, but graduated from the Five Points School of F*cking lol.

Moving right along, I was mesmerized as a kid hearing stories about Alibi Al, Curly (Dice Mechanic), Joe Vissey, Keith McCready, Popcorn, Waterdoggy, and many more. I remember him pointing out Keither to me at Santa Anita. It was my 10th B-Day.

Long story short, I'd love to be regaled with any and all stories about the action scene. More importantly however is sharing the stories with my old man; of his favorite stomping grounds back in the day.

One of the first tales I heard involved Bucktooth and his trusty mop/broom handle. My pops, and most of the room emptied out on the feller getting to shoot with his shaft only. They was wrong. The 'Tooth busted the joint with broom stick. Apparently him furiously chalking the "tip" was really quite the site.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
First off, I'm new (lurked forever) so let me thank all the powers that be for running a great site.

Now then let's get down to business. As a kid, my father would often tell me his war stories about growing up in a Pool Hall/ Bowling Alley. The hustles, colorful characters, gambling, etc. Being a denezin of El Monte, CA that meant Five Points. He would often say that he attended Arroyo High School, but graduated from the Five Points School of F*cking lol.

Moving right along, I was mesmerized as a kid hearing stories about Alibi Al, Curly (Dice Mechanic), Joe Vissey, Keith McCready, Popcorn, Waterdoggy, and many more. I remember him pointing out Keither to me at Santa Anita. It was my 10th B-Day.

Long story short, I'd love to be regaled with any and all stories about the action scene. More importantly however is sharing the stories with my old man; of his favorite stomping grounds back in the day.

One of the first tales I heard involved Bucktooth and his trusty mop/broom handle. My pops, and most of the room emptied out on the feller getting to shoot with his shaft only. They was wrong. The 'Tooth busted the joint with broom stick. Apparently him furiously chalking the "tip" was really quite the site.

I will start off with Alibi Al and Joe Veasey. They came to town together and had us convinced Al was the player. Took a whle but we finally figured out Joe was the much better player and Al was an action freak who would gamble on anything. I never booked a loser against Al playing pool and quickly learned Joe was too good. Al taught me to play tonk and won some of it back.

Curly was from Texas and his old friend Indian Joe Monzingo opened up a room called The Golden Cue in Rosemead that was another action spot, especially after Five Points Bowl slowed down. The room moved to So. El Monte in the 80's and is still there. Curly used the bump with the dice off a board and anytime a dice game started, they called Curly to bust it.

I met Curly and Joe at an old room called The Smoker in El Monte in the 60's. Probably knew your dad too.

Gameface

John, my dad definitely remembers you. I asked, then later showed him some of your YouTube stuff.

Curly and Russell, who iirc was his protege are absolute legends in the L.A dice world gone-by. You certainly never woulda known it by looking at Curly anyway. Checking payphones for change, halfway mumbling random shit.

Alibi Al, and his goofy nickname was used to teach me not to complain and make excuses as a kid. I never confirmed if he was as much of a sniveling, winer as I was told.

Ohh yeah, and Hendy, my dad was known as "Bogus Bob" although he didn't refer to himself as such.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John, my dad definitely remembers you. I asked, then later showed him some of your YouTube stuff.

Curly and Russell, who iirc was his protege are absolute legends in the L.A dice world gone-by. You certainly never woulda known it by looking at Curly anyway. Checking payphones for change, halfway mumbling random shit.

Alibi Al, and his goofy nickname was used to teach me not to complain and make excuses as a kid. I never confirmed if he was as much of a sniveling, winer as I was told.

Ohh yeah, and Hendy, my dad was known as "Bogus Bob" although he didn't refer to himself as such.

Al wasn't a whiner, except when he was going off and explaining to his backer about how bad the rolls were going. If your dad ever bet on him, he heard plenty of it.

He was pretty treacherous, as were most of the guys on the road, but was a ball to be around. I spent some time at Santa Anita Racetrack with him, and he loved the horses. Last time I saw him, years ago, he was running blackjack games in cowboy bars in Oregon. He was sporting a big diamond ring and was running pretty good.

Say hi to Bob for me. Ask him if he remembers Molly Bee at Arroyo.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

I played plenty in that area in the sixties and seventies and I played every player mentioned here (maybe I'll start a beat list) and only losing to Don Watson. I did get the last two from Keith. Can you post a picture of your dad. I'm sure I must have known him. Frank "the barber" Almanza

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I met Curly and Joe at an old room called The Smoker in El Monte in the 60's. Probably knew your dad too.

John or Frank,

I know the action moved around a lot in the LA area. And as you know, I did not go down there often.. I do remember, in the late 50's, early 60's, the Wonder Bowl was a pretty regular hangout for all the scuff's back then... Harry the Horse used it as his home base for several years.

My question is, what was the flow back then ?.. Did Five Points or Tropicana, precede, come after, or were they active during the Wonder Bowl years ?..A real young Popcorn usually steered me around, on the rare occasions I went down there. In those days, he pretty much hung out at Hollywood and Western. (downstairs) Remember I moved to Texas in late '62, and for the next 30-40 yrs., rarely got to LA !

My memory is getting worse daily, but I don't remember ever being in any of the joints you guys are talking about... Help me clear the cobwebs a little, as to where the action was, and when ???

Thanks, Dick

Gameface

^^ Frank, he remembers you also. By the way he loved the pics of your home room that were posted up. I must say you did a hell of a job. When I see him later ill see if he's cool with being outted to the world. The only thing he's trying to sneak up on is the OTB Window.

Y'all were so lucky to be able to F**K off a good portion of life's earlier years at such high quality action spots. I can't even claim there was 24hour Carnival of Hustlers and Gambling where I was busy wasting my potential.

Joe Spinella

I think you are talking about a guy I went to school with at Arroyo. His name was Bob Curtello, I think thats how it was spelled He hung out at five points, I hung out at pool hall on Valley blvd called Karom and Cue. If this is the same Bob I am thinkig of, I last saw him at Santa Anita race track,we were about 18 or 19 years old. He came up to me and said, Joe I got a hot horse The name of the horse was MIghty Gun. He showed me his tickets. I looked at the tote board his horse was 80 to 1 I laughed and said good luck. Well the horse came in and paid $162 and change. I have told that story at least 162 times. If this is the Bob I think I know tell him hello, If not please ignore this reply

Gameface

I think you are talking about a guy I went to school with at Arroyo. His name was Bob Curtello, I think thats how it was spelled He hung out at five points, I hung out at pool hall on Valley blvd called Karom and Cue. If this is the same Bob I am thinkig of, I last saw him at Santa Anita race track,we were about 18 or 19 years old. He came up to me and said, Joe I got a hot horse The name of the horse was MIghty Gun. He showed me his tickets. I looked at the tote board his horse was 80 to 1 I laughed and said good luck. Well the horse came in and paid $162 and change. I have told that story at least 162 times. If this is the Bob I think I know tell him hello, If not please ignore this reply

You nailed it Sir. Even got light-weight close on the spelling. He says hello and great to hear from you. Oddly enough you popped into his head outta no-where, very very recently. I shit you not. Still going to the track here and there. Missed photo in the 4 hole of a super at GG today. It paid $60K. Unusual Talent: 20-1. Singled in all P3/ P4/ etc: AirBall :(. Hey had my $17 to win tho. Left a little winner. Can you believe GG had a $60K SuperFecta!!! Jesus know he won't shut up running me down Joe Spinella memory lane

Last edited:

Joe Spinella

I am fortunate to live about a mile away from Frank the Barber, He is nice enough to have me over, to play some one pocket, and take me to school on the game, Once a week we get together with a couple of guys and play some partners at his house. One the guys hung out at five points. He knows the game inside and out. I mentioned Bob one day and he remembered him. His name is Phil Knight aka Golden Stroke. I think your dad will remember him

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
There was a very good player named Long Beach that came to Chicago in the 60s. He was a burnt out alcoholic at that time tho.

Beard

I didnt know his first name. I dont think that there were 2 Long Beaches.

There were at least three players called Long Beach. The guy you are talking about was a better bar player and you are right, a stone drunk. Charlie The Ape was going off to him big one time and quit because he said he couldn't stand his $$ going to a drunk. Ironic since Charlie handled much worse stuff.

There was another Long Beach, strictly a bar player, in the 60's, a little guy who could only take off suckers.

Long Beach Bill was the best player by far and he was from around Chicago. I used to give him 9/8 but he tortured me in 9 ball (Couldn't resist it Bill).

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
There were at least three players called Long Beach. The guy you are talking about was a better bar player and you are right, a stone drunk. Charlie The Ape was going off to him big one time and quit because he said he couldn't stand his $$ going to a drunk. Ironic since Charlie handled much worse stuff.

There was another Long Beach, strictly a bar player, in the 60's, a little guy who could only take off suckers.

Long Beach Bill was the best player by far and he was from around Chicago. I used to give him 9/8 but he tortured me in 9 ball (Couldn't resist it Bill).

The Long Beach Bill that Island drive is referring to is himself. I played Bill many times and after many matches we could say it wound up as a push. He was one deadly hombre.
Bill, the bowling alley days with the billiard rooms had their hay days in the sixties and seventies.

I think Five points in El Monte and the Tropicana were at about the same time but a good distance from each other.
I believe I first played Richie Florence at Wonder bowl. I think that was his home court.

At that time Charlie the Ape was mainly at the Bahama Lanes in Pasadena. I played at Monterey Park Lanes in Alhambra. San Gabriel Johnny (John Henderson) spent a lot of time at the San Gabriel Lanes.
The bowling alleys at some point removed most of the tables to make room for the arcade games.
Also back in those days there were a lot of after hour places with good action. Places like Daisy Maes, and The Ponderosa.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
76-81

76-81

Yep Frank, you and I played rotation pool Dead even, neither of us won or lost, the house always won. And during those years the time :sorryJohn Cardulo:sorry and I were at the pool room heading to San Fran, when I arrived at Hendy's fav pool room, I handed my luggage over the retaining wall to JC. John had all our luggage on the ground right by the trunk. So we pulled away and headed north to Frisco. I think we were 1/2 way to Frisco, stopped to gas up. I went to get something out of my luggage, but there was NO luggage in the trunk John left it on the ground....We called the room, Lost all our cloths etc. We immediately turned around and came back. Next time I saw Cardulo, he and Keith (Lit...Budweiser) played me and a Rock Solid one pocket player from Denver one hole Scotch dbls, got all my cloths money back Plus.:heh

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Yep Frank, you and I played rotation pool Dead even, neither of us won or lost, the house always won. And during those years the time :sorryJohn Cardulo:sorry and I were at the pool room heading to San Fran, when I arrived at Hendy's fav pool room, I handed my luggage over the retaining wall to JC. John had all our luggage on the ground right by the trunk. So we pulled away and headed north to Frisco. I think we were 1/2 way to Frisco, stopped to gas up. I went to get something out of my luggage, but there was NO luggage in the trunk John left it on the ground....We called the room, Lost all our cloths etc. We immediately turned around and came back. Next time I saw Cardulo, he and Keith (Lit...Budweiser) played me and a Rock Solid one pocket player from Denver one hole Scotch dbls, got all my cloths money back Plus.:heh

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardulo sold your stuff in the short time that you handed them over that wall. He and I ran around a bit together. Once I was in a small game in Glendale, about 25 miles from the Golden Cue in Rosemead, when he called me and told me there was a game there with a guy that I could give the seven to.
When I got there, realizing that he was a road player, we decided that whoever broke gave up the seven. We played as few sets and then quit even. Cardulo (snake that he is) was surprised that we came out even. HIS man, Louie Roberts couldn't take it down. Amazing that someone would do this to someone that had made them a good deal of money.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... When I got there, realizing that he was a road player, we decided that whoever broke gave up the seven. We played as few sets and then quit even. Cardulo (snake that he is) was surprised that we came out even. HIS man, Louie Roberts couldn't take it down. Amazing that someone would do this to someone that had made them a good deal of money.
Holy criminey, Frank! I didn't realize that you played even with St. Louie Louie!:eek: No WONDER you've got a rep!

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if Cardulo sold your stuff in the short time that you handed them over that wall. He and I ran around a bit together. Once I was in a small game in Glendale, about 25 miles from the Golden Cue in Rosemead, when he called me and told me there was a game there with a guy that I could give the seven to.
When I got there, realizing that he was a road player, we decided that whoever broke gave up the seven. We played as few sets and then quit even. Cardulo (snake that he is) was surprised that we came out even. HIS man, Louie Roberts couldn't take it down. Amazing that someone would do this to someone that had made them a good deal of money.

He snuck Nick Vlahos(sp) in on me for $50 a game 9 ball and I got lucky and got even and quit and asked for the eight. Nick said he could probably give it to me and win, but was looking for easier action.

John could stir it up and was a good guy to go around with, but he would go either direction to get the money. I did not do so well with Louie. Indian Joe and I lost $800.

Gameface

LB Bill not ringing a bell. John Cardullo, Phil Knight hello from Bob.

It is absolutely blowing his mind that he would re-connect on any level with you guys.

We were watching some you-tube 1p the other day and. Bucktooth came into the commentary booth. He was barking away like usual; and outta nowhere comes the mop-handle vs the shaft only challenge. When my dad heard that, he was floored. He said that was one of the things he never, under any circumstances thought he'd hear again.