2013 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

stedyfred

Verified Member
There has been a certain amount of conversation in this thread regarding the number of deceased players that should go in to this years HOF. I feel that is a very good approach. I also believe that many of us know deceased players that should be included on the ballot whether or not they are elected into the HOF this year or any other year. I would like to see Mike Gerace aka Geese name on the ballot this year and in future years.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Boston Shorty

Boston Shorty

I haven't read all the posts, or even looked at the existing HOF list lately, but I remember the short one. The cab driver gave Ronnie Allen all he could handle at Janscos in match play, Shorty played the whole table Real well and was a Good 3 cushion player if remember the rumors correctly.

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member
There has been a certain amount of conversation in this thread regarding the number of deceased players that should go in to this years HOF. I feel that is a very good approach. I also believe that many of us know deceased players that should be included on the ballot whether or not they are elected into the HOF this year or any other year. I would like to see Mike Gerace aka Geese name on the ballot this year and in future years.

Stedyfred:

I agree. For example, I think Hubert Cokes should be in for a number of reasons, yet, as time rolls on his chances get less and less --- especially as "new blood" enters our sport who might be unfamiliar w/ him (and others like him) as a player.

I think there are two way of going about this:

1) Force a "catch-up" -- meaning, only allow deceased players on the ballot until those who qualify and should be in --- are in.

2) Form a committee consisting of guys like Cardone, Hopkins and Varner (just as an example) to select a deceased "crew" of who belongs to be admitted and admit the bunch all in one shot and then move forward with our traditional model of voting for nominations, entrants, etc.

I'm a firm believer that HOFs in every sport should always focus on deceased players FIRST -- and THEN allow in living players once no one has been passed over. Just my humble opinion, of course.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... 2) Form a committee consisting of guys like Cardone, Hopkins and Varner (just as an example) to select a deceased "crew" of who belongs to be admitted and admit the bunch all in one shot and then move forward with our traditional model of voting for nominations, entrants, etc. ...

Spider, there is a committee which Steve uses for guidance on the HOF ballot selections. It's composition is Top Secret, but I'm sure Cardone, Fred B., and a few other noteworthy guys are on it.;) It's actually very hip. They have a secret handshake and everything...:D

And Bill, as you may know, Boston Shorty was inducted in 2005.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Spider, there is a committee which Steve uses for guidance on the HOF ballot selections. It's composition is Top Secret, but I'm sure Cardone, Fred B., and a few other noteworthy guys are on it.;) It's actually very hip. They have a secret handshake and everything...:D

Doc

Secret Society members only.

Beard

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Danny Jones

Danny Jones

I've nominated him before, like several of the guys mentioned above, Danny has been overlooked for awhile now. Danny was quite a character, and I believe he won the all around at Johnson City. Maybe some of the guys on here that knew him well can comment. Here is a link to a thread about him:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=622

Good thread, Here's what the Beard posted in that thread:

I use to see Danny in Hot Springs, AR during the race meet. He was dating a woman that owned a motel there. I put Danny on a very short list of OnePocket players that really knew the game. Everyone would not believe some of the players that I dont have on that list. I'll just drop one name and let your imaginations run wild, Cecil Buddy Hall, and I know he has won 1pkt tourneys. We are great friends, but as great a player as he is in Nine-Ball -- as Jersey Red would say, "He couldnt find his pocket with an Indian-guide."
I will cite one compelling example of whether Danny knew 1pkt or not, Artie Bodendorfer played him about 6 games in Bensingers and quit even! He did not like what Danny was doing to him. In his career Artie only quit 2 people playing 1 pkt --aside from Bugs, but they played all the time-- Danny Jones and Johnny Cannonball Lefty Chapman. Artie though Jack Cooney's 1pkt game was weak and told him so.
Danny had a very bad neck problem that plagued him throughout the best days of his career.
the Beard

So, I would like to nominate 'Handsome' Danny Jones.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I've nominated him before, like several of the guys mentioned above, Danny has been overlooked for awhile now. Danny was quite a character, and I believe he won the all around at Johnson City. Maybe some of the guys on here that knew him well can comment. Here is a link to a thread about him:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=622

Good thread, Here's what the Beard posted in that thread:

I use to see Danny in Hot Springs, AR during the race meet. He was dating a woman that owned a motel there. I put Danny on a very short list of OnePocket players that really knew the game. Everyone would not believe some of the players that I dont have on that list. I'll just drop one name and let your imaginations run wild, Cecil Buddy Hall, and I know he has won 1pkt tourneys. We are great friends, but as great a player as he is in Nine-Ball -- as Jersey Red would say, "He couldnt find his pocket with an Indian-guide."
I will cite one compelling example of whether Danny knew 1pkt or not, Artie Bodendorfer played him about 6 games in Bensingers and quit even! He did not like what Danny was doing to him. In his career Artie only quit 2 people playing 1 pkt --aside from Bugs, but they played all the time-- Danny Jones and Johnny Cannonball Lefty Chapman. Artie though Jack Cooney's 1pkt game was weak and told him so.
Danny had a very bad neck problem that plagued him throughout the best days of his career.
the Beard

So, I would like to nominate 'Handsome' Danny Jones.

Certainly not a bad call. Also in the live area lets not forget Ike Runnels.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I've nominated him before, like several of the guys mentioned above, Danny has been overlooked for awhile now. Danny was quite a character, and I believe he won the all around at Johnson City. Maybe some of the guys on here that knew him well can comment.

I played Danny a lot. No one I contested played the end game safer or better than him. I staked him a few times because I liked him. No one played harder
for the cash than him. No worries about his honesty.

Quick story
a friend and I were having a drink, Danny came in and asked my friend to borrow thirty dollars for a trip to Vegas,
My friend said let me give you more, that won't get you there.
Danny said nah, I don't like to owe anyone too much, besides I got twenty good bite spots between here and Vegas.
Rod.
P.S. He also deserves to be in.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Doc

Reveling the names of the (secret) (top secret) voting members? No no no, not the secret handshake members?

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member
I'm curious -- what really constitutes as "qualifications" in regards to the HOF? Is it playing ability? Is it money won? Is it tournaments won -- albeit there are hardly any 1-hole events?

Is opening up nominations to the general public a good move? Is the general public smart enough to make a good decision?

I've never been a fan of secret handshakes and societies, but as long as the "board" so to speak was at least 4 or 5 and well-qualified, maybe a benevolent dictatorship is what we'd need.

The BCA HOF has always put in players in strange orders, imo, and the 14.1 HOF run by Dragon is straight-up a laughable joke. It's not even a HOF, imo.

For instance, I was reading a few pages back and read the thread on Mike Carella where Cardone said the guy was a flat-out MONSTER. Why wouldn't a MONSTER at least be nominated? If he were, it prob wouldn't matter since he's been passed for so long, people probably forget about his monsterishness.

It would be nice to create a criteria/process around nominations that helps us go from a system peppered with conjecture and popularity contests to a system of objective measurement.

I mean, if someone is pumping-in 20 ball innings in 1 hole...give them an easy pass into the HOF if they've had a long history of doing it in action. (opinion/subjective)

I also think Hubert Cokes should 100% be in the HOF (opinion/subjective).

Your thoughts?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Doc

Thx.....I'm glad, tho I should of read the list first. Don't tell Dennis :lol
I'm all in for Hubert.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm curious -- what really constitutes as "qualifications" in regards to the HOF? Is it playing ability? Is it money won? Is it tournaments won -- albeit there are hardly any 1-hole events? ...

Here is the base criteria for HOF nomination, copied from the first post on this thread. It's also included in the HOF drop-down menu section:

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

And here is a link to the major and noteworthy tournament winners' page: http://www.onepocket.org/records.htm

There is no real objective method to nominate players, except perhaps "tournaments won" in the case of the more recent players. Past players, after hours legends, and teachers/promoters must be nominated on purely subjective criteria.

After a couple of months discussion, the nominees are chosen for a ballot which might contain 10 or so names in several categories. The Verified Members then get to vote for as many of those as they like. The winners are then chosen for induction.

Doc

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member

Here is the base criteria for HOF nomination, copied from the first post on this thread. It's also included in the HOF drop-down menu section:

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

And here is a link to the major and noteworthy tournament winners' page: http://www.onepocket.org/records.htm

There is no real objective method to nominate players, except perhaps "tournaments won" in the case of the more recent players. Past players, after hours legends, and teachers/promoters must be nominated on purely subjective criteria.

After a couple of months discussion, the nominees are chosen for a ballot which might contain 10 or so names in several categories. The Verified Members then get to vote for as many of those as they like. The winners are then chosen for induction.

Doc
I think this could all be made objective:

PLAYERS: CURRENT/FORMER:
- Tournament wins/runner-ups could be awarded point values. After X-points, you're in.

- After-hours Legends should only be voted on by professional players (people that once played on tour or make above $X/year in gambling / event revenue), not rail birds. Those who get above X% of votes among their peers get auto-in... those who just fall short get Y-points. After Z-points - you're in.

MERITORIOUS SERVICE:
- Teachers / Promoters of the game should be considered as "meritorious service" and that's the only section that should be open to public voting. If you put out enough DVDs, write enough books, give enough lessons and make enough posts in forums to help others, people will vote you in.

HOF induction in regards to players should always be based on past-performance. Gambling action is subjective, but that subjectivity should be limited to those who were in the pits as their "peers," per se. If you have players of a certain decade vote for someone (not themselves), you tend to get to the answer. They'll tell you who should be and who shouldn't be. After that.. that decade is "closed" and you move on. Decade is just an example -- could be a generation.

Regardless of how educated the posters are on here... they're just not as knowledgeable as guys like Cardone, Beard, Dick (just to name a few) and the other top national/world guys who were in the same stank rooms until 4am playing against or along-side some of these guys in question.

I know I'm in the mega-minority... but I feel strongly that resumes based on events speak for themselves and should always be given top consideration. After-hours Legends should be given second consideration, and only voted on by their competitors and Meritorious Service should be the only classification voted on by the community.

Each year, vote in 3 guys: one based on events, one based on gambling and one based on meritorious service.... starting with the deceased.

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Who is on the list for Lifetime Pool in Action this year? I know you guys do that by a select committee. U.J. Puckett would be a good one to honor at some point, IMO.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Who is on the list for Lifetime Pool in Action this year? I know you guys do that by a select committee. U.J. Puckett would be a good one to honor at some point, IMO.

For the Lifetime Pool in Action we have so far used the honor for current players -- either still living or very recently deceased. Also, we have focused the honor on action pool "guys" who might not be so likely to qualify specifically for our One Pocket or Bank Pool honors -- in fact we added this honor so that we can more completely cover the entire spectrum of pool action without compromising the "One Pocket" and/or "Bank Pool" awards.

One way to look at this is to consider that pool (and billiards) has always had two sides -- one being very well represented by the BCA HOF -- major tournament winners and industry favored players and promoters. Yet pool has always had the other side, too -- the action side, which is right where One Pocket in particular developed. Between the BCA HOF on the one hand, and the One Pocket HOF on the other, we have both sides covered, without compromise.

The players honored with Lifetime Pool in Action so far have been:
2006 George Rood, the 90+ year old road champion going back to before Johnston City
2007 Denny Searcy, “Master of the Ring Game”
2008 Jimmy Reid
2009 ‘Flyboy’ Jimmy Spears
2010 Harry Platis
2011 Wade Crane

While the general membership at OnePocket.org votes for both the One Pocket and Banks HOF, the Lifetime Pool in Action is the (informal) One Pocket HOF "board of directors". These are 12 people who come to the HOF dinner, support the HOF dinner and are also as close to the pulse of pool action as you could ask for. Most of you guys could immediately name at least half of them. The twelve are not so much secret as I just don't have the energy -- or don't want to waste the energy -- to explain why so and so is not one of the 12 or why so and so is.

I welcome nominations for Lifetime Pool in Action from our general membership as well, even though I did not start a specific thread about that.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think this could all be made objective:

PLAYERS: CURRENT/FORMER:
- Tournament wins/runner-ups could be awarded point values. After X-points, you're in.

- After-hours Legends should only be voted on by professional players (people that once played on tour or make above $X/year in gambling / event revenue), not rail birds. Those who get above X% of votes among their peers get auto-in... those who just fall short get Y-points. After Z-points - you're in.

MERITORIOUS SERVICE:
- Teachers / Promoters of the game should be considered as "meritorious service" and that's the only section that should be open to public voting. If you put out enough DVDs, write enough books, give enough lessons and make enough posts in forums to help others, people will vote you in.

HOF induction in regards to players should always be based on past-performance. Gambling action is subjective, but that subjectivity should be limited to those who were in the pits as their "peers," per se. If you have players of a certain decade vote for someone (not themselves), you tend to get to the answer. They'll tell you who should be and who shouldn't be. After that.. that decade is "closed" and you move on. Decade is just an example -- could be a generation.

Regardless of how educated the posters are on here... they're just not as knowledgeable as guys like Cardone, Beard, Dick (just to name a few) and the other top national/world guys who were in the same stank rooms until 4am playing against or along-side some of these guys in question.

I know I'm in the mega-minority... but I feel strongly that resumes based on events speak for themselves and should always be given top consideration. After-hours Legends should be given second consideration, and only voted on by their competitors and Meritorious Service should be the only classification voted on by the community.

Each year, vote in 3 guys: one based on events, one based on gambling and one based on meritorious service.... starting with the deceased.

These are good suggestions. I agree that democracy (as reflected in our forum voting) is not always an exact science, but one thing about the way we do it now for certain is that it is an inclusive process -- you guys all get to participate and have your voice heard and your vote count.

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
These are good suggestions. I agree that democracy (as reflected in our forum voting) is not always an exact science, but one thing about the way we do it now for certain is that it is an inclusive process -- you guys all get to participate and have your voice heard and your vote count.

I appreciate your methods, Steve. I'll throw out the name of Keith McCready for Lifetime Action Award. With his "The world's got the eight", and playing Grady Seasons with his "It's like a nightmare..." line, he is pretty much a pool icon. I would love to hear his acceptance speech. :D

Bankin Ben

Verified Member
From
Millington TN.
I agree about Kieth McCready being nominated for the Lifetime award. He has always been one of my favorite players. His banter with the crowd and pure great personality has made him a one of a kind player. Let not fail to mention at one point, the best player on the planet. He definately deserves the recognition for his accomplishments in what he has brought to the game.