D. Harriman vs. S. Woodward 2013 Tunica

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Well, these are pics from the 2nd, and apparently last, Tunica event to be held. It's Harriman's shot. What would you do?

P.S. Harriman was the 2003 D.C.C. Bank Pool champion so he knows how to play I would think.

dh1.jpg

dh2.jpg

dh3.jpg

dh4.jpg

backplaying

Verified Member
Bank the 8 across the side with low right and spin the cue ball back toward the pink ball that's in the hole.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The 3 ball looks like it could possibly go 2 in the corner, and it might even go straight back. I dont like either shot, aside from both being near trick-shots, I dont ever leave my opponent down table with a ball hanging in the pocket where he could just shoot it in and leave me 9 ft away from my work -- at best -- or if he is as devious a me, try and corner hook me.

With the score 0 to 0, I always advise being aggressive, so I would probably bank the 8 ball cross side, no english however, but extreme cut with a low cue ball to slow down it down some. Because you are so close to the 8 ball the shot is not as outrageous as it would first appear. (I think the 8 is too far away from the 1st rail to use english effectively, thats why I recommended no juice.)

If I was feeling a little tentative I would elect to jerk my oppo around a little and just bunt the 3 ball into the jaws of the pocket, and then try and outmanuever my man and force him to knock the first ball off, allowing me to knock the other ball off and leave him 9 ft away.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The 3 ball looks like it could possibly go 2 in the corner, and it might even go straight back. I dont like either shot, aside from both being near trick-shots, I dont ever leave my opponent down table with a ball hanging in the pocket where he could just shoot it in and leave me 9 ft away from my work -- at best -- or if he is as devious a me, try and corner hook me.

With the score 0 to 0, I always advise being aggressive, so I would probably bank the 8 ball cross side, no english however, but extreme cut with a low cue ball to slow down it down some. Because you are so close to the 8 ball the shot is not as outrageous as it would first appear. (I think the 8 is too far away from the 1st rail to use english effectively, thats why I recommended no juice.)

If I was feeling a little tentative I would elect to jerk my oppo around a little and just bunt the 3 ball into the jaws of the pocket, and then try and outmanuever my man and force him to knock the first ball off, allowing me to knock the other ball off and leave him 9 ft away.

Beard

Looks like you've covered all bases, and quite well I may add but I have a question for you. You recommend banking the 8ball with no english, I would think that "right english" would help in two ways, correct me if i'm mistaken. I feel using right english you will open up the pocket more and also spin away from a possible kiss coming off the bottom cushion. I have always shot this type of a shot with hold up english because of the reasons I described, your thoughts.

Bill Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Looks like you've covered all bases, and quite well I may add but I have a question for you. You recommend banking the 8ball with no english, I would think that "right english" would help in two ways, correct me if i'm mistaken. I feel using right english you will open up the pocket more and also spin away from a possible kiss coming off the bottom cushion. I have always shot this type of a shot with hold up english because of the reasons I described, your thoughts.

Bill Incardona

As I noted, if the 8 ball was closer to the 1st rail I would use rt english. But with the 8 so far from the rail, when using english it becomes so much harder to control the amount the ball is cut. When the ball is close the margin of cut is diminished considerably because due to the short path to the rail, the ball can only spread so far on its path to the 1st rail.

However, rt english is a definite plus factor in so far as beating the kiss on the way back. Thats why when the ball is close to the rail, I can afford to, and usually do, shoot it with rt hand juice. When the ball is a goodly distance from the 1st rail I'll sacrifice a better chance of beating the kiss for the added accuracy of the needed thin cut.

Beard

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Banking the 8 with centerball.

I feel like I can make that ball more than 50% but it is pretty close to that.

The 4 rail I am afraid I will sell out the line of balls off the spot.

ken

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Since I work from home and my computer is close to my table, I am easily able to set these shots up. I like banking the 3 straight back and the 8 cross side. I believe either shot is a viable option and both have built in safties.

The 3 straight back is not nearly as difficult as the screen shots may lead one to believe, and the 4 ball prevents the scratch. The CB path on the 8 ball cross side takes it to the bottom rail and back up top to safe position, especially with the 4 blocking the top right pocket.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Since I work from home and my computer is close to my table, I am easily able to set these shots up. I like banking the 3 straight back and the 8 cross side. I believe either shot is a viable option and both have built in safties.

The 3 straight back is not nearly as difficult as the screen shots may lead one to believe, and the 4 ball prevents the scratch. The CB path on the 8 ball cross side takes it to the bottom rail and back up top to safe position, especially with the 4 blocking the top right pocket.

The 3 ball straight back if hit well could go back and forth between the long rails on the head of the table. Unfortunately, if you dont make it you will leave me an opportunity to put you in trouble by either knocking off the 4 ball and leaving you a tough return safety, or if you were playing me, there would be a 50% chance that I would corner hook you.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

You had the right thought. He shot the 8 off and drew back. Skyler shot the 3 in and Harriman tried something with the 4 ball and left the shot I show below:

dh's shot.jpg

He left Skyler here:

dh's leave.jpg

After Skyler rolled the 3 in Harriman did something with the 4 and it ended up like this, changing both player's plans:

reply.jpg

This was a very well-played game defensively & offensively. At one point all the balls were here:

dh vs sw.jpg

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
I would shoot the 8 ball str8 into the corner pocket, draw the cue ball back to end rail, if he shoots corner ball, i make the other corner ball, leaving him 9 feet away from nearest ball. Why let the cue ball run by trying to bank the 8 cross side?

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
safe

safe

I would shoot the 8 ball str8 into the corner pocket, draw the cue ball back to end rail, if he shoots corner ball, i make the other corner ball, leaving him 9 feet away from nearest ball. Why let the cue ball run by trying to bank the 8 cross side?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Now there's a shot choice a man could live with! Both times:D