C. Joyner vs. E. Reyes 2010 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
At first I was just thinking nick the 10-ball toward my hole and send the cue ball across the table so that the stack hides the 10, now located even closer to my pocket. But on closer inspection overhead, it looks like there would be too much chance for a scratch in the opposite side pocket, or you would leave the 10 too exposed (either for Efren to hit directly or by kicking off the side rail).

So I go with banking the 9 but not so much to make it, but to hide the 9 along with the 10 behind the stack. Maybe even the 9 "gets lucky" and drizzles in -- either off the ball I have shown, or further up the stack :D
I like the way you're playing this shot, by hitting it thickly you will have better control of both the 9ball and cue ball. This shot has several benefits and it's easy to execute, plus you're protecting your position as well.

Dr. Bill

senor

Verified Member
Here's an option that Senor showed me some year ago. The balls are laying about perfect for this shot. The CB hooks more but I don't know how to draw that with the tools I have. :(
Rod.

Thanks for the kudos Rod :) That's the first shot I saw. Old habits die hard. Need to be able to judge at the table whether the OB will hit the 2nd rail before the CB. My thought is as long as there is room for the CB to take the same path as the OB, the OB will always be moving faster than the CB. It looks like a kiss, but the OB will be gone before the CB gets there.

I also like banking the 9 into the stack and spinning the cue ball into the stack, as has been mentioned.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
At first I was just thinking nick the 10-ball toward my hole and send the cue ball across the table so that the stack hides the 10, now located even closer to my pocket. But on closer inspection overhead, it looks like there would be too much chance for a scratch in the opposite side pocket, or you would leave the 10 too exposed (either for Efren to hit directly or by kicking off the side rail).

So I go with banking the 9 but not so much to make it, but to hide the 9 along with the 10 behind the stack. Maybe even the 9 "gets lucky" and drizzles in -- either off the ball I have shown, or further up the stack :D

why not go the extra half table and get into the stack with the cueball ??
it doesnt take alot more to do that
jmho

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
jmho

Let me try to answer your question Larry. By opting to hit the 9ball thickly you will speed up the 9ball and slow up the cue ball. If you p[lay the 9ball to go toward the stack then you run the risk of sending a ball toward your opponents pocket after the 9ball hits the stack because of the speed that the 9ball will have if you try to get back to the stack with your cue ball. Now if the angle will allow you to bank the 9ball and safely go to the side rail and then into the stack with the cue ball then that's your best option.

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jmho
What Billy said, but also, I like to stay in my comfort zone as much as possible, and I have found through experience it is a lot easier to just go across table than it is to go across table and then rebound accurately into the stack. Sometimes trying to come back into the stack I miss the stack and sell out. I hate that :D

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
One shot I did not see chosen here is to bank the nine straight up and back toward the left hand side of the stack. There is a long line of balls any one of which the nine can carom off of sending the nine toward the hole. The cue ball can be safely drawn slowly to the far side of the stack. If hit well this shot can be an immediate game winner and it has zero risk.

Tom

I'm not in favor of sending the cue ball back toward the stack with this shot for two reasons. First, the shot would have to be hit harder which as Dr. Bill suggested could possibly send a stray ball Efren's way but that is not that likely because of the separation of the string of balls on Cliff's side of the stack. The fact that those balls have that separation helps to absorb much of the impact and slow any ball heading in the wrong direction..

The two reasons I like sticking the cue ball on the side rail is because it is easy to control both balls and if I happen to get a little lucky and make a ball with the carom I will also in all likelihood have a second shot which I would not have if the cue ball is in the stack. Whatever ball the nine ball caroms off of is likely to fall to the end rail. I like my chances of making something here with the bank carom so I'm playing it with that intention.

In any event the sacrifice in not leaving the cue ball in the stack is well worth the price given the possibility of continuing a run of several balls should I be lucky enough to make the first one. You don't get lucky if you don't ever play to get lucky. This is a good spot to try to get lucky. I look at it as a free roll.

Tom

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I shoot Larry's shot all the time with great results. If you make something,oh well. If you don't but carom off something, you're safe. If you play Whitie to the rail and the latter happens, your oppo can see a ball on your side and use it to move or clear balls. Larry's shot is very strong and no oppo ever likes it. How bad is it if you make something? Suppose you are tightly stuck to the rack (an outcome that happens only once out of 4 or 5) you can masse the cue ball off the stack and draw straight to the rail. Now you have opened a lot more balls on your side and left the oppo on the rail. Set it up and try it a few times. Once you get the hang of it, its a duck. Oh, oh..is he listening? I predict he will like it.

senor

Verified Member
Sometimes, the stack looks like a catcher's mitt. This stack looks like a catcher's mitt. That's why I like the 3 railer with force follow. The CB seems to take a natural path to the stack. So early in the game (probably no more than 3-4 innings played) I'd be reluctant to shoot something that doesn't try to take advantage of that stack.

8andout

Verified Member
Here's another shot

Here's another shot

Bank the solid with inside english throwing the solid into the stripe nearest the foot rail. Sending two balls toward your pocket. Black balls are object balls.

Attachments

• cjjackingup2.jpg
    cjjackingup2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
i will make the three and then some.

Of course. Why wait for something when you already have it. Even if that stripe was not near the cue ball I would still jack up an strike the cue ball with left bottom so that the cue ball would get a good bite on the three ball so that it will draw and get position for some more balls.
Other balls in in stack highly favor your pocket once the three is in your pocket.
Banking that three ball is well within the ability of most here I'm sure.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Banking the 9 and putting snow in the stack is a good shot, but might be one that is hard for some to execute depending on conditions of the match and the table. You could easily over amp and miss hit this shot and snow can miss the stack completely (high or low) and it's katy bar the door for your opponent.

Depending on how I was feeling and the situation in the match (game score) I might give it a whack. If I had some doubts or uncomfortable with controlling it I may shoot another shot.

It appears that you can slightly nick the 10 ball and send snow 2 rails inbetween the 9 and the side pocket to the bottom rail. Possibly the 10 ends up a little closer to your hole off the rail and the 9 is a blocker.

piggybank04

Verified Member
Cliff rolled off the 8 ball and sent the cueball uptable:

View attachment 9046

He left it here for Efren:

View attachment 9047
cliffs shot is kinda lame,especially for a top pro--id probably bank the 8 3 rails as i have shot variations of that thousands of times with consistently good results--short of that, id bank the 9 trying to kiss into the stack,leaving whitey behind the stack.......

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Cliff rolled off the 8 ball and sent the cueball uptable:

View attachment 9046

He left it here for Efren:

View attachment 9047

Pretty safe shot...but laying snow down on the rail would be imperative playing against Efren. Big difference if he's froze to rail on his next shot. Really surprised Cliff wouldn't cut bank the 9 a hair and bring snow into the stack off the side rail. Like I said earlier it must not have "felt" right in regards to table speed and match situation.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Pretty safe shot...but laying snow down on the rail would be imperative playing against Efren. Big difference if he's froze to rail on his next shot. Really surprised Cliff wouldn't cut bank the 9 a hair and bring snow into the stack off the side rail. Like I said earlier it must not have "felt" right in regards to table speed and match situation.

I'm surprised at Cliff's selection too. Cliff is a brilliant 1P player, but he's likely to step up and shoot something off the wall once in awhile. Of course the Efren factor is probably lurking as well...:cool:

Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't know guys, I think there is more to this shot that we see. Cliff may get a better shot at that bank without being jacked up now though if efren kicks at the ball near cliffs hole. If efren leaves him to thin on that bank, cliff can come off the 5 and leave him in the stack. If efren can even see the ball near cliff's hole (not sure?), he risks the above 2 options also.

I guess the proof would be in how the game progressed from here.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Was Cliff trying to get on the head rail or double Efren up? I think he did pretty good. Doubt if Effie will be running out from here.