Danny Cook and gordy Christopherson

Cookiesmonster

From
Tupelo,ms
Danny is my dad looking for pics of him playing pool or maybe there is a video out there somewhere? Would love to hear any stories!! Gordon was my granddad as well if anyone knows him thanks

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Danny is my dad looking for pics of him playing pool or maybe there is a video out there somewhere? Would love to hear any stories!! Gordon was my granddad as well if anyone knows him thanks
If that is Steve Cook, aka "The Cookie Monster", there are videos available through Accu-Stats video productions, Pat Flemming, prop. They have a website you could search; or you could phone him to say what you're looking for.

In fact I just recently posted a few stills from a match between Cook and Allen Hopkins recorded by Accu-Stats at Grady Matthews' 1990 Legends of One Pocket tournament.

I don't know if there is anything available free online.

Good luck~

Doc

backplaying

Verified Member
I think he's talking about Danny Cook that played out of Memphis for many years and Gordy staked him a lot. I played Danny 4 or 5 times at the rack back in the 70's and early 80's and stayed with Gordy a few times as he staked and stirred me around in the Memphis area. Danny played very good and had a high gear on the bar box. I never played him on a 9 footer. He use to run with James Christofer also.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I think he's talking about Danny Cook that played out of Memphis for many years and Gordy staked him a lot. I played Danny 4 or 5 times at the rack back in the 70's and early 80's and stayed with Gordy a few times as he staked and stirred me around in the Memphis area. Danny played very good and had a high gear on the bar box. I never played him on a 9 footer. He use to run with James Christofer also.

Is this your Granddaddy, Gordy? I knew him very well from when he was around Chicago.

Beard

Attachments

• Gordy,JamesChristopher (453 x 600).jpg
    Gordy,JamesChristopher (453 x 600).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2

Cookiesmonster

From
Tupelo,ms

Yes you are right!!!

Bankin Ben

Verified Member
From
Millington TN.
Wow That brings back a lot of good memories of The Rack in Memphis. Living here all my life I spent a great deal of my time there. Danny and James Christopher were both bar box champions as well as big table. One Friday nite all was quiet when the front door opened and in walked one of the top road players in the country. James and Danny flipped to see who was going to play him. Danny won the flip. The game was a race to 10 on the bar bax for a thousand. Danny wins the break flip. The other guy never got to the table. Danny broke and ran 10 and out on the guy.....great times at the Rack. I bought my first Schon cue from your grandfather Gordy. Man he was a great guy...sorry to hear he passed. he LOVED the action!

Cookiesmonster

From
Tupelo,ms
Wow That brings back a lot of good memories of The Rack in Memphis. Living here all my life I spent a great deal of my time there. Danny and James Christopher were both bar box champions as well as big table. One Friday nite all was quiet when the front door opened and in walked one of the top road players in the country. James and Danny flipped to see who was going to play him. Danny won the flip. The game was a race to 10 on the bar bax for a thousand. Danny wins the break flip. The other guy never got to the table. Danny broke and ran 10 and out on the guy.....great times at the Rack. I bought my first Schon cue from your grandfather Gordy. Man he was a great guy...sorry to hear he passed. he LOVED the action!

Thanks for your story, I spent most my childhood in there my mom played pool too I loved that place. I wish I could find a cue that someone got from gordy would love to have one. He was a wonderful person, he is the main reason I am trying to find pics or everyone he wanted me to make a scrap book before he died.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Thanks for your story, I spent most my childhood in there my mom played pool too I loved that place. I wish I could find a cue that someone got from gordy would love to have one. He was a wonderful person, he is the main reason I am trying to find pics or everyone he wanted me to make a scrap book before he died.

You probably know this but if not maybe this will help. Highpockets is owned by Tracy and Kinard in Memphis.

They are super people and typically know everyone. I cant help you, but between those two guys maybe you can get some leads.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Cookiesmonster

From
Tupelo,ms
You probably know this but if not maybe this will help. Highpockets is owned by Tracy and Kinard in Memphis.

They are super people and typically know everyone. I cant help you, but between those two guys maybe you can get some leads.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Thanks so much I didn't know who owned it but I will try them. Thank you