parica /grady #3

onepockethacker

Verified Member
first glance.. open up the 1 and 2 ball and float cue ball to end rail. The only other shot I could see Parica doing which is real aggressive is banking the 7 ball with force follow on the cue ball and have the cue ball go behind the 2 balls by Gradys pocket. He could bank the 4 ball toward his hole and maybe get the cue ball behind those same 2 balls by Gradys pocket. Really have to be at the table to see the angles on the 7 ball and 4 ball banks

piggybank04

Verified Member
hard to see the angle, but i would prob bank the 7 with high karate trying to freeze him on those balls.........

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Im down 3 balls and need to move balls to my side.

I shoot the 14, 12, 15 to my side with a medium stroke to put the cueball near the 11 on end rail.

Ken

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
first glance.. open up the 1 and 2 ball and float cue ball to end rail. The only other shot I could see Parica doing which is real aggressive is banking the 7 ball with force follow on the cue ball and have the cue ball go behind the 2 balls by Gradys pocket. He could bank the 4 ball toward his hole and maybe get the cue ball behind those same 2 balls by Gradys pocket. Really have to be at the table to see the angles on the 7 ball and 4 ball banks

I don't think I like the shot you chose opening up the 1 and 2 balls in this situation Rob. You may not either if you saw the shot from the vantage point of the player but your other choice is right on. Banking the 7 and stunning the cue ball behind the two balls by Grady's hole looks to be the perfect shot from here. Hit it good and you may just get out from this position. Miss the bank and you still have a safety.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hitting the 7 hard enough to force follow or to stun it would make the shot useless in terms of positioning the 7. It would however be a good shot to hide whitey. But with the 1 and 2 balls tied up, the shooter won't get a shot at his hole anytime soon.

If the 8 ball is not too far off the head rail, he has a decent two-railer, and can get the CB safe. Like y'all say-- the picture perspective is not for sure...

Doc

[glad you posted a layout, Larry. I was looking for sumthin myself.]

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I was thinking the same thing Doc . I only like Hackers shot of the 2 ball cluster. It looks as though if I stun bank the 7 so close to the rail I might 2 rail it across to his hole or leave a bank on it to get me in trouble later. If I open those two balls on my side he can't go up table.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I originally said at first glance I liked opening the 1 2 ball cluster. Opening those balls is an instinctual reaction. However the one draw back to opening them is the fact that you are not going to hit them hard obviously so they are going to be pretty close together lets say within a foot. The problem is if your opponent is able to bank the 2 ball to his side and have the cue ball billiard the 1 ball up table with alot of spin, then all the balls will be on your opponents side and the cue ball up table.
Im definitely leaning toward banking the 7 ball or 4 ball. You can bank the 4 ball passed the 13 ball and float the cue ball behind the 2 balls by his pocket

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hitting the 7 hard enough to force follow or to stun it would make the shot useless in terms of positioning the 7. It would however be a good shot to hide whitey. But with the 1 and 2 balls tied up, the shooter won't get a shot at his hole anytime soon.

If the 8 ball is not too far off the head rail, he has a decent two-railer, and can get the CB safe. Like y'all say-- the picture perspective is not for sure...

Doc

doc
i know its hard to take some of us away from discussing the "UMAMI IN OUR DNA" .....:rolleyes:...:heh
but i try....:)
like hacker said ( i think this was directed at me (icbw)(hacker were you talking to me??)
when you posted
you cant play but you show good camera angles.....

i cant play but i show good camera angles....:D......:p

Cory in dc

Verified Member
i like piggybank04 and tom's shot. its one of dr. bill's must knows on his instructional dvd.....:p

I remember that shot on Billy's VHS tape. So Hacker's shot choice is the one Billy put on tape in the 1990s?!? I guess that means they agree on the right shot here.

What's next? The apocalypse?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Banking the 7 is probably the right shot, but if the angle is not there, opening up the 1/2 balls is good if you can get the qb behind the 15. Then you got a good trap.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Doc

Doc, the shot on the seven must be hit fairly softly, not hard, if the shot is to be effective. If enough of the seven can be seen then that is the correct shot. With a softer hit with inside English the seven ball can be held up nicely and the cue ball floats down like a dream come true behind those two balls. A hard hit won't work because the English doesn't have time to grab the seven and hold it up enough to find the pocket.

This is a similar shot to the one we used to practice all the time years ago. Place the cue ball on the spot and an object ball one balls width off the side rail and a diamond below the side pocket. Bank the ball one rail into the opposite side. If set up properly the shot cannot be crossed so hit it with a fairly slow stop shot with inside English and as full as possible without risking double kissing the object ball. The softer the hit with acceleration the quicker the English or draw which is applied has a chance to affect the shot.

Tom

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Even after all the comments, I am still breaking up the 1 & 2 ball, by hitting the 1 with bottom right and try to leave the CB behind the 15 ball.
I thought about the 2 rail on the 8 but was drawn off of it as I don't want him to have any shot that might move ball towards his pocket.-Smitty

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I like Doc's shot if it lays right. You can lag 2 rails to your pocket and slide whitie up behind the 9. He might have a similar shot in return but you stymied him for now.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, the shot on the seven must be hit fairly softly, not hard, if the shot is to be effective. If enough of the seven can be seen then that is the correct shot. With a softer hit with inside English the seven ball can be held up nicely and the cue ball floats down like a dream come true behind those two balls. A hard hit won't work because the English doesn't have time to grab the seven and hold it up enough to find the pocket. ... Tom

Yeah, the angle and speed are to what I'm referring. To my eye, if hit dead center, the 7 ball looks like it would roll into the 13. But hit dead center, it would be difficult to roll the CB behind the 12-15, unless the shooter could use left english.

In order to roll the CB behind the 12-15 the shooter would have to hit the 7 left of center, which would cause a kiss at slow speeds. Hit with high karate or a stun stroke the CB would hesitate for a spit second, then roll behind the 12-15. But then the 7 would be turned loose.

Each guy's feel for speed, and perspective of the angles on these types of WWYD layouts dictates which shot he'd recommend.

To me the 4 ball bank is not possible. If hit straight it'll contact the 12-15. If cut a little to the right it'll clip the 7.

Another shot that Grady liked to shoot, but which Parica might not, is a "blast-em" shot using the 14 into the 12. That might work out hunky-dory if the CB can be floated down towards the corner pocket.

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Yeah, the angle and speed are to what I'm referring. To my eye, if hit dead center, the 7 ball looks like it would roll into the 13. But hit dead center, it would be difficult to roll the CB behind the 12-15, unless the shooter could use left english.

In order to roll the CB behind the 12-15 the shooter would have to hit the 7 left of center, which would cause a kiss at slow speeds. Hit with high karate or a stun stroke the CB would hesitate for a spit second, then roll behind the 12-15. But then the 7 would be turned loose.

Each guy's feel for speed, and perspective of the angles on these types of WWYD layouts dictates which shot he'd recommend.

To me the 4 ball bank is not possible. If hit straight it'll contact the 12-15. If cut a little to the right it'll clip the 7.

Another shot that Grady liked to shoot, but which Parica might not, is a "blast-em" shot using the 14 into the 12. That might work out hunky-dory if the CB can be floated down towards the corner pocket.

~Doc

Doc, As you can see the 7 is slightly off the side rail which give a little leeway in hitting just to the left of center which will shorten the shot somewhat. The soft draw helps keep the cue ball from running forward too fast and into the path of the 7 as it returns off the rail. After the 7 has cleared the area the cue ball will slowly drift down the rail.

The angle on these wwyds sometimes makes it difficult to be certain about the viability of shots of this nature but in theory this shot should work.

I don't see the "blast" shot as a good choice here because the 12 and 15 look to lay awkward in relation to the cue ball. As the shooter you have very little working for you at this time. A clearing action only allows your opponent to put you in continuous trouble. That is why hacker was somewhat interested in opening up the two balls on his side of the table.

Your statement; Each guy's feel for speed, and perspective of the angles on these types of WWYD layouts dictates which shot he'd recommend. is absolutely correct. That is why that practice shot I described is a great shot to know. These types of banks are common in One Pocket and they also provide a second method to shoot what looks to be a normal straight back but now the cue ball can be manipulated more ways. Just my take on it. I will be interested in what Jose does here.

Tom