Is Fats a fit?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
You are right, I'm from St. Louis. I played in the 60's and then took a leave of absence for nearly 35 years. I've heard of Lou and seen him play at Derby City and the US Open, but not locally. Unfortunately, Lou has been barred from the pool room where I play and I don't get around town very much.

Yeah, about ten years ago I had the temerity to wonder aloud why the tables there played so slow. One of the owner's sons got his panties in a bunch and went running to mommy and and said, "it's him or me" put on his jacket and went running out of the pool room. Not too surprisingly, mommy voted for sonny.

I had been a loyal customer there for many years. The father who started the place -- a former player/gambler -- was a great guy but he passed and then the mom and sons ran the place. Over the years I've had numerous regulars there tell me that I was right about the tables, and even nowadays they'll tell me all kinds of horror stories about the equipment, but none of them want to get barred so they all keep their mouths shut.

Getting away from that place was probably the best thing that ever happened to my pool game.

Lou Figueroa

Toncam

Verified Member
Interesting photo

Interesting photo

Heres a photo i found om E bay of Fats, looked interesting to me as i never saw it before.
Below is the caption :

This is an original press photo. Colo, Iowa - Mrs. Lena McDonald, Colo, Iowa, hugs Rudolph "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone, Dowell, Illinois, who brought his pool-playing skills to Iowa to help raise money to care for Mrs. McDonald's 200 adopted stray dogs living at her home. Minnesota Fats agreed to play all challengers in a pool exhibition in Des Moines to the benefit of Iowa's "Dog Lady." UPIPhoto measures 11 x 8.5inches. Photo is dated 10-10-1975.

Heres the link :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Press-...ts-Billiards-Lena-McDonald-Dogs-/261035674275

Attachments

• Fats dogs.jpg
    Fats dogs.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Heres a photo i found om E bay of Fats, looked interesting to me as i never saw it before.
Below is the caption :

This is an original press photo. Colo, Iowa - Mrs. Lena McDonald, Colo, Iowa, hugs Rudolph "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone, Dowell, Illinois, who brought his pool-playing skills to Iowa to help raise money to care for Mrs. McDonald's 200 adopted stray dogs living at her home. Minnesota Fats agreed to play all challengers in a pool exhibition in Des Moines to the benefit of Iowa's "Dog Lady." UPIPhoto measures 11 x 8.5inches. Photo is dated 10-10-1975.

Heres the link :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Press-...ts-Billiards-Lena-McDonald-Dogs-/261035674275

Amazing find Tomcan !..I think this shows Fatty in one of his most satisfying, and gratifying poses !..That has always been his most endearing quality to many of us !...It is not surprising at all, that he took the time to do that benefit, at the peak of his celebrity !...I firmly believe, Fat's would have readily traded all his fame and fortune at pool, to be able to care for every stray animal on the planet ! :)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
EVERY day was a Vacation to Rudolph....the dog leaning on fatties left arm is in Heaven. Be hard to imagine how an abused dog would of felt around Fats after 5 minutes. Fats IS a fit here, that's for sure :).

Last edited:

Toncam

Verified Member
Found a couple more of Fats
The guys with Fats are the actor who played Steppin Fetchit and of course, Ali.
The other photo shows him shooting at home i assume, but it says in the caption that he was in surgery for something serious, anyone know what happened to him ?

Attachments

• Fats 2.jpg
    Fats 2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5042323.jpg
    5042323.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Fats dogs.jpg
    Fats dogs.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Petie my friend, that is definitely NOT Jimmy Reid !...The guy does look familiar, but it 100% ain't Jimmy !

I must say that most assuredly IS Jimmie Reid! The snapshot shown in the thread cought him at an odd moment; but if you view the video, you'll see a very fast cut to him and there is no mistaking him. Can I get an Amen?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I must say that most assuredly IS Jimmie Reid! The snapshot shown in the thread cought him at an odd moment; but if you view the video, you'll see a very fast cut to him and there is no mistaking him. Can I get an Amen?

If that aint Jimmy Reid I promise I will go down on Nancy Pelosi!

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Not good enough. Barney Frank might do:p.

P.S. I thought it was Reid when I posted the pic but I wasn't sure. The Duck is senile.

P.Ps. That is not Clare.

Dennis

There is a remote possibility, that I may be, gasp, WRONG ! (first time ever)..At his healthiest, I never saw him with that much meat on his face !.. Naturally you, (idiot that you are) and the other guy's weren't smart enough to agree with me, than we would have gotten to see the Pelosi, or Barney Frank 'thingy' ! ;)

PS..Yes, 750,000 to 1, that ain't Clare next to him ! (subject to change, if another 'Pelosi muff dive' commitment could be forthcoming !) :p

El Roadrunner

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
fats

fats

I met Fats several years ago at Oliver's pool hall in Louisville, a local auto auction had him flown in from Nashville. He was getting pretty old back then.

Jerry Terry

By the way, did the case go to trail or was it settled first ?

Doc, I think con man is a little unfair. He was a hustler, pool and short cards and a promoter, but I've been around a lot of con men and that wasn't him. I agree with Fred, Tevis stole his persona and should have been sued. maybe you know the answer, was the case settled and if so why?
Rod.

I don't think you can sue for basing a fictional character on a real person. A persona cannot be stolen. Minnesota Fats belongs in the One Pocket Hall of Fame because he is to this day the most famous person who promoted the game of one pocket above all other games.