Quirky Little Question ...

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

This minor query is so irrelevant, so trivial, most people will probably want to motor on. See ‘ya!

Still here? I recently noticed -- after only a few years! -- that our pool forums have a VIEWS column, in addition to a REPLIES column.

Since I’ve been longing to casually drop the word ‘algorithm’ into a post -- admittedly without quite comprehending its precise meaning -- (yet it is a coolio word, no?), it occurred to me that this is my opportunity to sound muy scientifico!

So … the question before the cognoscenti is … is there a measurable relationship between how many people look at a particular post and how many actually respond to it?

(My own posting is a sad exception to this imprecise query as I realize that most civilized netizens in here avert their eyes and flee, silently screaming, when they see ‘Sunnyone’ affixed to a thread.)

But -- in the normal-people sample -- is there a formulaic (another great word!) um … formula for determining the ratio of viewers to responders?

Forensic inquiry is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Further, is there an algorithm to determine, formulaically, the number of unique viewers to any one post as opposed to repeaters? Why in the cosmos is this pertinent? I dunno!

P. P. S. Also, is there a mathematical procedure to calculate if the volume of respondents to any one post is influenced by the number of responses later posted by the original poster? Whew, that’s a lot of ‘posts!’

P. P. P. S. To maintain scientific integrity and rigor, I would request that all responses herein be limited to those of you with doctorates in Hegelian Dialectics … which, I compute, would constitute approximately 42.6% of the membership. (Okay, I have zero idea what Hegelian Dialects is -- I just lamped the phrase in something I was reading the other day. Carry on!)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The number of views probably does relate to number of replies -- as long as you are comparing threads of similar vintage. But older threads continue to get views often long after they continue to get replies, so if you are going to try the math (should be easy for you), you need to compare threads of similar vintage. Let us know what you discover. :D

piggybank04

Verified Member
i dont see "gentle readers" coming from this forum.......more fitting would be "wiley hustlers".......

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
i dont see "gentle readers" coming from this forum.......more fitting would be "wiley hustlers".......

Actually, she just says the same thing every time:

Dear coves, nappers, cross-coves & loobys,

Tip me your wattles, my pals, and touch my whids and I'll make you whindle like a kinchin and show your Friday Face.

S.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Actually, she just says the same thing every time:

Dear coves, nappers, cross-coves & loobys,

Tip me your wattles, my pals, and touch my whids and I'll make you whindle like a kinchin and show your Friday Face.

S.

Now that's esoterica. Still it lilts as well as the words of "Zanadu."