owen /nevel 2008 #1

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this is an old thread
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5853&highlight=nevel
i bring them up because i think most of the viewere are trying to learn whats best from the posiion they are in
also you all dont understand how much time it takes to do these
so when things get slow i might bring up oldies but goodies:)
ill research what happened next
for the most part it doesnt matter what the pro shot
its your opinios and why that helps us learn
:)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
First of all, the "5 ball" appears to me to be a stripe. Could it be the 13-ball? Anyway, from the picture in post #9 it doesn't look to me like the CB would even carom into the 8 ball, unless it caromed so thin that it might scratch in the corner. But to me, there are too many things that could go wrong with that shot. I'd resist the urge...;)

For better players, I like Rob's banking the 8 ball with inside english. For average players, loading up the CB with that much inside at that distance carries the risk of hitting the OB wrong, with unpleasant results. Still, I might take a swing at it.:)

Shooting the 8 ball bank with no english will cause a kiss, but with inside it's probably okay.

Doc
Art, if you notice I said that shooting at the 13ball and caroming into the 8ball is the strongest shot by far...if the angle allows you to. Now if the angle suggest that you're laying too thin for the shot then by all means pass the shot, i'm not in the business of throwing my money away, regardless what the Hacker says.:heh But what I will do if the Hacker is interested is set up the shot with the 13ball carom and tweak it to where the angle is right for the shot, and he can bank the 8ball and i'll shoot the 13ball carom for his grocery money. And you know that that's a huge bet and one that will get him weak.:D

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Art, if you notice I said that shooting at the 13ball and caroming into the 8ball is the strongest shot by far...if the angle allows you to. Now if the angle suggest that you're laying too thin for the shot then by all means pass the shot, i'm not in the business of throwing my money away, regardless what the Hacker says.:heh But what I will do if the Hacker is interested is set up the shot with the 13ball carom and tweak it to where the angle is right for the shot, and he can bank the 8ball and i'll shoot the 13ball carom for his grocery money. And you know that that's a huge bet and one that will get him weak.:D

Dr. Bill

LMFAO...grocery money? I knew sooner or later I would bust you out :lol Now back to the shot.. You have to TWEAK your shot? Enough said.. Give a dummy enough rope and he will hang himself.. What do you want your tombstone to say?:lol:heh

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
LMFAO...grocery money? I knew sooner or later I would bust you out :lol Now back to the shot.. You have to TWEAK your shot? Enough said.. Give a dummy enough rope and he will hang himself.. What do you want your tombstone to say?:lol:heh
Once again, what i'm saying is, if the angle for my shot is there it's the strongest shot ..by far.. That's why I need to tweak the angle if you think that i'm wrong with my opinion. Now I know that the bank on the 8ball (from the angle shown) is not a good shot because of all the complications with the shot. However, if the angle for the carom shot is there , all you have to do is ..throw your stick.. at it and it will play itself. This shot is "dog proof"which I know you would like.:p

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Once again, what i'm saying is, if the angle for my shot is there it's the strongest shot ..by far.. That's why I need to tweak the angle if you think that i'm wrong with my opinion. Now I know that the bank on the 8ball (from the angle shown) is not a good shot because of all the complications with the shot. However, if the angle for the carom shot is there , all you have to do is ..throw your stick.. at it and it will play itself. This shot is "dog proof"which I know you would like.:p

Dr. Bill

Let me move the 8 ball a little and I like my bank even more!! What the hell are you talking about. You have to deal with the layout at hand.. For this layout your shot isn't worth 2 dead flies. Ok Homer

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Let me move the 8 ball a little and I like my bank even more!! What the hell are you talking about. You have to deal with the layout at hand.. For this layout your shot isn't worth 2 dead flies. Ok Homer

You could be right about that "homey" but I have already stated (which you didn't) that if the angle is there I like my shot much better than any other shot. Now since you didn't make that inclusion i'm assuming that you were happy with the angle shown for the bank on the 8ball..:frus The angle that I see for your bank is problematic at best, but i'll let you deal with that since your so much in love with the shot.:heh

Dr. Bill< just trying to do what was discussed

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You could be right about that "homey" but I have already stated (which you didn't) that if the angle is there I like my shot much better than any other shot. Now since you didn't make that inclusion i'm assuming that you were happy with the angle shown for the bank on the 8ball..:frus The angle that I see for your bank is problematic at best, but i'll let you deal with that since your so much in love with the shot.:heh

Dr. Bill< just trying to do what was discussed

Billy Billy Billy.. When we played at Derby City THIS EXACT shot came up with the balls in THE EXACT SAME POSITION and you needed one ball and I needed them all. You looked at the bank on the 8 ball and I thought "great Im screwed" but then you started looking at the cut the 13 ball and billiard the 8 ball shot.. At first I thought you were just joking as nobody in their right mind would try that but you went ahead and tried it... The result?... you whiffed the 13 ball and your cue ball came around 4 rails for perfect shape for me to run out. Im glad you have a short memory

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy Billy Billy.. When we played at Derby City THIS EXACT shot came up with the balls in THE EXACT SAME POSITION and you needed one ball and I needed them all. You looked at the bank on the 8 ball and I thought "great Im screwed" but then you started looking at the cut the 13 ball and billiard the 8 ball shot.. At first I thought you were just joking as nobody in their right mind would try that but you went ahead and tried it... The result?... you whiffed the 13 ball and your cue ball came around 4 rails for perfect shape for me to run out. Im glad you have a short memory

You're making my statement about you being "delusional' an easy call. I really can't possibly see how others can't see, which is such an obvious flaw in your ability to debate "intelligently" However, I like it just the way it is.:lol "toast head"

Dr. Bill < very gullible man who'll buy any thing or story.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You're making my statement about you being "delusional' an easy call. I really can't possibly see how others can't see, which is such an obvious flaw in your ability to debate "intelligently" However, I like it just the way it is.:lol "toast head"

Dr. Bill < very gullible man who'll buy any thing or story.

Billy, Me debating one pocket with You ...is like Germany debating war strategy with Poland..:sorry:p:lol:heh:heh:heh

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Pardon me for interrupting this friendly rivalry, but can I ask what is wrong with hitting 2/3s of the 10 just hard enough to bank it on your side? If the angle is what I see the shot he would shoot next if the cue is around the center of the bottom rail is knock the 10 2 rails to his hole. It is survival but its safer than anything else and easy to execute. Just wondering why that was mentioned but no one thought it was the right shot ?

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Pardon me for interrupting this friendly rivalry, but can I ask what is wrong with hitting 2/3s of the 10 just hard enough to bank it on your side? If the angle is what I see the shot he would shoot next if the cue is around the center of the bottom rail is knock the 10 2 rails to his hole. It is survival but its safer than anything else and easy to execute. Just wondering why that was mentioned but no one thought it was the right shot ?

One problem is when you are playing one pocket gorillas like these 2 guys as soon as you shoot a passive shot like this these guys will usually have you on the defensive the rest of the game until they finish you off. I think whenever you can you have to apply pressure to these guys. You can't let them do all the punching.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
For me the shot that Dr. Bill suggests would be my choice but only if they lay-ed right. In this case striking the eight ball full doesn't seem possible without pulling the cue ball.
Even if the eight is sitting ok there is still some danger in the shot because of the distance the eight is from the 13 ball. Miss hit the 13 ball a bit and the shot could turn into disaster.
The bank on the eight doesn't look natural to me with inside English. Beating the kiss is the problem here maybe a bit of outside is what's needed but then you risk selling out the 13 ball. Also it looks like there may not be a path for the eight to be banked in. The ball near the short rail looks like it may be in the way. I might pass on both of these options.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Frank nailed it. Thats my thinking. I'm as aggressive as anyone but if I shoot the 8 or the carom I could get (unlucky) real easy. I would rather the gorilla make a great bank shot than me give up a straight in from a bad kiss or a cross corner on the stripe if it doesn't go right.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, lads... I went to the poolroom today and set up the shot. The 8 ball bank is a stiff. Trying to get the CB to do what you want is very nearly a trick shot. You have to load up the CB with so much inside that the swerve must be accounted for, complicating the hit. And in a game, you only have ONE opportunity to do it!! After ten tries I was able to bring the CB up towards the left corner. Several times there was a catastrophic kiss.

For my money I'd be doing something with the 10 ball. One Pocket Guy's shot isn't the worst shot in the world. I'd try to position whitey to take away the 8 ball straight back. The toughest part of this layout is the CB distance, and it's being 6" from the head rail.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well, lads... I went to the poolroom today and set up the shot. The 8 ball bank is a stiff. Trying to get the CB to do what you want is very nearly a trick shot. You have to load up the CB with so much inside that the swerve must be accounted for, complicating the hit. And in a game, you only have ONE opportunity to do it!! After ten tries I was able to bring the CB up towards the left corner. Several times there was a catastrophic kiss.

For my money I'd be doing something with the 10 ball. One Pocket Guy's shot isn't the worst shot in the world. I'd try to position whitey to take away the 8 ball straight back. The toughest part of this layout is the CB distance, and it's being 6" from the head rail.

Doc
Correcto, you're 100% correct, the 8ball bank looked like a stiff and you were interested enough to confirm it. Obviously the carom angle wasn't there shooting the 13ball, so that left the option with shooting off the 10ball and playing safe.

We tried to come with an aggressive shot but there were none to be found. Tom liked the 11ball carom but that shot looked pretty risky, however, no one tried it to give us a report. Thanks to all that joined in the discussion and once again the crowd figured it out. Right Hacker?:lol

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I like banking the 8 with high right. There is a big gap to send the QB thru.

Jim, That gap runs straight toward the side pocket and if you try to avoid it the gap gets very small. The risk involved in that shot is far higher than the risk of either the inside English bank on the eight or the carom shot with the five. In addition how do you plan to get the cue ball back to the other side of the table shooting your shot?

Tom

piggybank04

Verified Member
Interestingly enough, this exact shot came up for me a few months ago.

It might not seem like it, but if you cut bank the 11 to your hole with inside english (9 oclock) and pocket speed, the 8 ball and 5 carom and bank off your opponents long rail, back over to your side and whitey goes uptable and back off the short endrail to leave a shot on the 8 or the 5.

It takes a little practice to convince yourself that the shot works, but it can be quite predictable.

I would not shoot this if I need just one ball, but I would if I needed 2 or 3.

Our own Lenny Marshall showed me this shot, so I have to give the credit to him ;)

Thanks.

Bernie.

thanks, i'll try it......