"Raising the Hustler" and "Chasing Wincardona"

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
What has been the only vehicle that has propelled our sport?

Film.

I have filmed and endeavoured for the past 7 years to interview
the world's greatest players and ask the questions to get the answers to many of the problems and issues faced by the players and the industry.

Whiile I was unable to complete my feature documentary
"Raising the Hustler" in time for the Sundance Film Festival deadline,
I was able to complete my documentary short
"Chasing Wincardona"

"Chasing Wincardona" takes you into the subculture of the American professional pool scene. A little seen world where it is not enough just to play well, you must have the skills to solve the ephemeral logic puzzles placed before you on the table and also be a student of the human mind.

In all forms of competition and sport, there are those who earn their living betting on themselves and their abilities, not only to outplay but to out think their opponent both on and off of the table.
Those who have immense talent, a willingness to bet on themselves and natural charm are often labeled as 'hustlers'.
Our focus is on former 9Ball Champion and ex hustler,
William '9-Ball Billy' Incardona.
Through his expert negotiations and handicapping of the games he enters into, he has played and beaten the world's best, both in the tournament arena and in private one-on-one matches after hours since 1970.
His warm and witty demeanor cloaks his intense drive to win the money on the line.
Billy is a master at disarming opponents with a smile and engaging conversation.
In 1987, a young pool player, Ronnie Wiseman, was just starting to compete professionally in the circuit.

On April Fool's Day of that year, Billy and Ronnie would cross paths and play the truest test of skill on the pool table, the game of 1Pocket. Widely regarded as the 'chess of pool' and Billy told Ronnie that he didn't know how to play.
Billy 'hustled' him and in a chase that has lasted for 25 years, Ronnie has chased Billy around the country asking to play again, with Billy never accepting the game for all that time.
Not only would Billy lay claim to Ronnie's money but to his psyche as well in a chase to rival that of Captain Ahab and Moby Dick.
From that time forward, Ronnie shadowed Billy at every tournament across the country, constantly on the lookout for an opportunity to present itself to regain his honor and the thousands he lost to Billy that fateful April Fool's Day in 1987.
At a pool tournament in Mississippi in 2012,
Ronnie Wiseman would finally get his chance to play Billy once more.
The game would be 2 against 1, with Ronnie calling the game they would play and taking "Downtown" Eddie Brown as a partner against Billy.

I was filming the tournaments events during the day, resting, then filming the late night match-ups, when I happened upon this unusual 'captain' game of 2 against 1.
The following day brought me and my camera over to the table where Ronnie and Billy were discussing the game they had played.
This is the film that resulted :D

'Pool is the perfect game for those with obsessive compulsive disorders.'

-CK

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I look forward to seeing it -- you have been working on this for a long time, girl :) Best of luck at the film festival; that has to be very exciting for you!

tylerdurden

Verified Member
This is a "sight for sore eyes" news for me. Looking forward to seeing both productions.

I have often thought that a good documentary about "underground" pool action and players could do well commercially.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
In 1987, a young pool player, Ronnie Wiseman, was just starting to compete professionally in the circuit.

On April Fool's Day of that year, Billy and Ronnie would cross paths and play the truest test of skill on the pool table, the game of 1Pocket. Widely regarded as the 'chess of pool' and Billy told Ronnie that he didn't know how to play.
Billy 'hustled' him and in a chase that has lasted for 25 years, Ronnie has chased Billy around the country asking to play again, with Billy never accepting the game for all that time.

-CK

I don't know who you are but this part of your story is complete bullshit. Wiseman wouldn't play me One-Pocket in 1987 and I wasn't anybody. For you to say that "Billy told Ronnie that he didn't know how to play" and then "hustled" him is a complete fabrication.

Dennis

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
You are correct-

You are correct-

I don't know who you are but this part of your story is complete bullshit. Wiseman wouldn't play me One-Pocket in 1987 and I wasn't anybody. For you to say that "Billy told Ronnie that he didn't know how to play" and then "hustled" him is a complete fabrication.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I know the Cheesekeeper very well, and know that she (yes, the Cheesekeeper is a very attractive female pool bug, who has filmed enough pool to match the years output at Warner Bros.) So lets all try and be respectful to her because she has the video goods on just about all of us somewheres in her footage.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I know the Cheesekeeper very well, and know that she (yes, the Cheesekeeper is a very attractive female pool bug, who has filmed enough pool to match the years output at Warner Bros.) So lets all try and be respectful to her because she has the video goods on just about all of us somewheres in her footage.

Beard

I'm pretty sure I know who she is too. She's present at all the tournaments and films both tournament and back room action. I've eagerly awaited her product(s) since i first saw her filming at DCC a couple of years ago. Fred's right, she's fine as wine and holds the potential to do pool more good than Greg Sullivan. May I hold the door for you, Ms Levine(sp)?

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
Speaking of Greg S.

Speaking of Greg S.

I'm pretty sure I know who she is too. She's present at all the tournaments and films both tournament and back room action. I've eagerly awaited her product(s) since i first saw her filming at DCC a couple of years ago. Fred's right, she's fine as wine and holds the potential to do pool more good than Greg Sullivan. May I hold the door for you, Ms Levine(sp)?

I have hours of Greg and I also have a classic moment of him teaching a "proper" player why and how to mis-cue.

That's the nuts ;)

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
exciting-yes

exciting-yes

I look forward to seeing it -- you have been working on this for a long time, girl :) Best of luck at the film festival; that has to be very exciting for you!

but my successes are "our" successes.

when the tide comes in,
it doesn't raise only one boat in the harbour,
it raises the entire fleet!

backplaying

Verified Member
What has been the only vehicle that has propelled our sport?

Film.

I have filmed and endeavoured for the past 7 years to interview
the world's greatest players and ask the questions to get the answers to many of the problems and issues faced by the players and the industry.

Whiile I was unable to complete my feature documentary
"Raising the Hustler" in time for the Sundance Film Festival deadline,
I was able to complete my documentary short
"Chasing Wincardona"

"Chasing Wincardona" takes you into the subculture of the American professional pool scene. A little seen world where it is not enough just to play well, you must have the skills to solve the ephemeral logic puzzles placed before you on the table and also be a student of the human mind.

In all forms of competition and sport, there are those who earn their living betting on themselves and their abilities, not only to outplay but to out think their opponent both on and off of the table.
Those who have immense talent, a willingness to bet on themselves and natural charm are often labeled as 'hustlers'.
Our focus is on former 9Ball Champion and ex hustler,
William '9-Ball Billy' Incardona.
Through his expert negotiations and handicapping of the games he enters into, he has played and beaten the world's best, both in the tournament arena and in private one-on-one matches after hours since 1970.
His warm and witty demeanor cloaks his intense drive to win the money on the line.
Billy is a master at disarming opponents with a smile and engaging conversation.

Not only would Billy lay claim to Ronnie's money but to his psyche as well in a chase to rival that of Captain Ahab and Moby Dick.
From that time forward, Ronnie shadowed Billy at every tournament across the country, constantly on the lookout for an opportunity to present itself to regain his honor and the thousands he lost to Billy that fateful April Fool's Day in 1987.
At a pool tournament in Mississippi in 2012,
Ronnie Wiseman would finally get his chance to play Billy once more.
The game would be 2 against 1, with Ronnie calling the game they would play and taking "Downtown" Eddie Brown as a partner against Billy.

I was filming the tournaments events during the day, resting, then filming the late night match-ups, when I happened upon this unusual 'captain' game of 2 against 1.
The following day brought me and my camera over to the table where Ronnie and Billy were discussing the game they had played.
This is the film that resulted :D

'Pool is the perfect game for those with obsessive compulsive disorders.'

-CK

If there is anyone who has more video of pool than Angel, I don't know who it could be. It was very nice meeting you at the first Tunica. Billy Kuykendall.

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
yes-

yes-

If there is anyone who has more video of pool than Angel, I don't know who it could be. It was very nice meeting you at the first Tunica. Billy Kuykendall.

a great time was had- and a pleasure meeting you as well Bill!
I'm sure our paths will cross again.

-CK

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
thank you!

thank you!

Beard

what a description-LOL!

much love,
-CK