Double carom

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I got a little One Pocket in today. Made one kinda fun shot I thought you all might like -- a double carom. I justified playing it based on it was going to clear out three balls from my opponent's side, but given that I did not expect to actually make the ball, I was concerned about leaving an easy cross corner when I missed. No worries, it went in the middle! Only 10 bucks too :D Anyway, something like this:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-09-14_23-54-30.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-09-14_23-54-30.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I got a little One Pocket in today. Made one kinda fun shot I thought you all might like -- a double carom. I justified playing it based on it was going to clear out three balls from my opponent's side, but given that I did not expect to actually make the ball, I was concerned about leaving an easy cross corner when I missed. No worries, it went in the middle! Only 10 bucks too :D Anyway, something like this:

You should of played it with a center ball to defend against a return shot. :p

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Might of been to the short rail without draw. :)
Rod.

Good point -- it is true that top vs bottom and soft vs hard all can make a big difference on where caroms go, however, nuancing the aim on a double carom like this would not be in my tool kit. Maybe it should be :D Now that I had success with one, I'll be looking for them a little more :)

For me -- a One Pocket hobbiest -- discovering shots like this is what is so great about One Pocket. Win or lose (the small "entertainment" stakes I am usually playing for) -- the game is so interesting, with so much opportunity to think creatively. I hope to play it as long as I can get to the table, lift a stick, and see anything :D:D

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Hey Steve, very good thought pattern. I'm always looking for carom shots, can turn a game around with one shot. Bank caroms can be very strong.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Kind of a nice bonus

Kind of a nice bonus

to get that ball and move the first two. This seems like a situation where you either make the ball or leave your opponent a shot at a short bank. I've used the double carom early in a game to drive the cue ball against the stack and move two balls away from the stack and toward my pocket at the same time. I'll try something like this in a game if I judge the final cue ball position to be safe. Sometimes I'll also take a flyer just because that's in my personality.:)