Doc's birthday

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Doc, I'm glad you enjoyed the video. You may have known Loren Maazel. You undoubtedly know of him. He conducted the Cleveland Orchestra for a while and founded the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra . In and around 2000 to 2002 I was giving him and his young son pool lessons at his home in Virginia. My father had a violin his father had won in a contest as a young boy. That would have been in the late 1800s.

My dad wanted to get an estimate as to its quality so I brought the violin to Loren, with his approval of course. Loren looked it over and began to play. Amazingly of course, though he is best know as a conductor he was as a brilliant violinist by the age of nine.

Well a string broke during this personal recital but he continued without interruption. A second string broke and still he played on. The strings were old and made of gut I imagine. The baroque violin had been made for a child, was not terribly old, and not very valuable except to the family. I obviously felt extremely honored to have received a private performance.

I look forward to hearing your stories and experiences working with the Cincinnati Orchestra and any other stories you wish to share in your musical career.

Much interested and Happy Birthday,

Tom

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Great story about Lorin Maazel. I never knew him, but I certainly knew OF him as a great conductor and musician. It was actually his mother Marie, who, along with Vira Heinz of the Heinz pickle company, reorganized the PSYO in 1953. It had been formed in 1945. I played with the PSYO in 1960. Karl Kritz was the conductor/director then. We used to rehearse at the great Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall. What acoustics!

I spent the following summer with the Wheeling Youth Symphony (West Virginia) in Ogelbay Park. One day I hitch-hiked into town to see if I could find some trouble to get into. As I walked through town I heard the unmistakable sound of the someone breaking a pool rack. My ears shot up like Spock's, and up to the poolroom I went. See, I was sick even in 1960.;)

Doc

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Doc

Doc

I'm late in saying Happy,Happy B-Day but better to be late then not respecting one of the great ONE POCKET.ORG members. You keep me checking in every day to see what's up. Keep up the interesting stories.Again Happy B-Day. FEF

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Great story about Lorin Maazel. I never knew him, but I certainly knew OF him as a great conductor and musician. It was actually his mother Marie, who, along with Vira Heinz of the Heinz pickle company, reorganized the PSYO in 1953. It had been formed in 1945. I played with the PSYO in 1960. Karl Kritz was the conductor/director then. We used to rehearse at the great Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall. What acoustics!

I spent the following summer with the Wheeling Youth Symphony (West Virginia) in Ogelbay Park. One day I hitch-hiked into town to see if I could find some trouble to get into. As I walked through town I heard the unmistakable sound of the someone breaking a pool rack. My ears shot up like Spock's, and up to the poolroom I went. See, I was sick even in 1960.;)

Doc

That sound pool balls make when the collision occurs is one of the more beautiful sounds in the world and very distinctive. I wonder if Tchaikovsky could have found use of the sound of pool balls in one of his compositions like he did cannons for his 1812 Overture. Probably not. :D
Now you go into a pool room and you can't hear the pool balls for the loud music. The old days are gone but not forgotten.

Tom

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Oh, sure.

Oh, sure.

Dear Gentle Readers,

It’s so prevalent to wish ‘happy birthday’ to someone on what is, after all, merely the calendar commemoration of a date in which the celebrant did nothing more notable than show up for the occasion.

In this case -- in this ‘notorious doc’ case -- I think the real congratulations would be more properly vested in the wifely direction. Who, though I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting her, is probably on the road to sainthood -- willing to tolerate someone who is both a musician and a pool player.

Bestowing credit where credit is due is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Happy Birthday!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dear Gentle Readers,

It’s so prevalent to wish ‘happy birthday’ to someone on what is, after all, merely the calendar commemoration of a date in which the celebrant did nothing more notable than show up for the occasion.

In this case -- in this ‘notorious doc’ case -- I think the real congratulations would be more properly vested in the wifely direction. Who, though I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting her, is probably on the road to sainthood -- willing to tolerate someone who is both a musician and a pool player.

Bestowing credit where credit is due is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Happy Birthday!

Sunny I am still awaiting gender evidence, like a body search or a special "flash" to me only.

All the other girls on this site have sent me naked pictures. JK, JK:lol

As I am Sicilian, being suspicious is my life.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks for the kind words, FEF.

And to hear from the redoubtable but gorgeous Sunnyone was a special birthday treat! Sunny you're certainly right about my wife, Miss Kitty. She IS a saint. In fact she just now mentioned that to me at supper.;) I play along, just so I can get dessert.

Cheers, y'all~

Doc