My take on the match

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I am getting a black video window :(

Probably a problem on my end.

Has to be TD. I clicked the link I pasted to make sure. They are still playing. Chris is just now giving the table a quick brushing and they about to resume. I'm watching Dexter at the same time as the series is about to conclude and Dr. Vogel gets her throat cut. Almost as rough as inside the BB House. I got the feed on now. Spencer The Perv won HOh. McCrae has won Veto. Andy and McCray can't decide whether or not to cut Judd or GinaMarie. Stay tuned..

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Lets see, Billy and the Ghost, vs John and Baby Frank. With a thirty second time lock in play for the next match, I take J&B. this six hour and stopping thing is Ree dic cu lous. Ten hour days at a minimum. Billy, you think Ghost knows more about the game than John? I think if John took twenty minutes on every shot, looking at nearly impossible situations, banks, kisses, dirt on the ball, then I would say that they would both be as knowledgeable. Ghost has the advantage in banks. We don't play banks in California. Why? I don't know. I have tried over and over to get a bank tournament started and no owners want to do it. That was one of the biggest changes I faced when I moved to the best coast. It was mostly nine ball. Very few people played much one pocket. A lot of last pocket eight ball, a great game. Nine ball, and regular eight ball.
If a shot clock was instituted between JR and Ghost, it would be no contest.
Ex: I watched Ghost in the partners game sizing up a shot. It was a game that JR and company were on the verge of winning. Ghost looked at a very difficult bank, cut, trap the cue ball shot for two soft drinks. Then proceeded to butcher it. There was a nice safe bank shot that could have led to an out, but superman showed up and Kryptonite swept in. That I see is the biggest difference between the two. John plays a steady, no frills, no out of bounds, steady game. Safety first, balls will come.:lol

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Yes John, I was the person that was responsible in arranging the financial end of the match for The Ghost..

There has been a lot of criticism in regard to ..shot selection...speed of play....and decision making...however, what we are failing to realize is that this was a very unique match that carried a lot of pressure..on many fronts. Types of pressure that both players were not familiar with, and there is no greater pressure than dealing with the unknown, simply because we really don't know how to prepare for something that we're not familiar with, do we?

Both players know the game of one pocket well, imo The Ghost has a little better understanding of the game than John, however, John is a seasoned gambler who understands how to deal with "big game pressures" better than The Ghost. I'm really not trying to 'sugar coat" any of this, just like I don't "sugar coat" any thing I talk about in the WWYD threads. I played both John and The Ghost several times and my feel is that The Ghost moves better than John but John plays more solidly in terms of playing to his speed. I also believe that if they play again I would give the nod to the Ghost because I believe that the weakness in the Ghost's game will be lessened the next time they play because of the experience Bruce has picked up in the match. I also believe that the pressures that were present through the match affected The Ghost more and was reflected in the tempo that he played with. It's very common (in all sports) when playing "meaningful matches or games" to play more cautiously, sometimes to the point of being overly cautious, which I feel happened with The Ghost. Do I feel that it hurt the Ghost? Yes I do because I believe it took him away from his natural rhythm that we/he feels most comfortable playing with. Imo playing cautiously puts more pressure into the situation, and when we are overly cautious it puts even more pressure into the situation. Playing one pocket well is a learning process, which both John and The Ghost have learned and play well, however, winning/playing in big money matches is also a learning process which John is better prepared to deal with than Bruce but it could be a very different story if they play again.

I believe that both players will play better the next time they play (if they ever do) And I also suspect that the interest for their next match will be even greater than it was for this one because the rematch with all rivals is always very intriguing.

Don't forget Ghost...You're on make up.:D

Dr. Bill

thats true, playing for big $$$ is a different thing, last year i got into a big $$ game and played terrible(usually not the case) but that day I dogged my brains out. Probably because I hadnt been in big action for a year, same now, its been to long since i been in big money games, $100-$500 rack 1P dont prepare you for $5K/rack action. Speaking for myself I have to be in big action often to stay in fighting shape, then it dont matter how hi the bet, if im not prepared it can work against me(not always-but it can, like last year)

onepockethacker

Verified Member
thats true, playing for big $$$ is a different thing, last year i got into a big $$ game and played terrible(usually not the case) but that day I dogged my brains out. Probably because I hadnt been in big action for a year, same now, its been to long since i been in big money games, $100-$500 rack 1P dont prepare you for $5K/rack action. Speaking for myself I have to be in big action often to stay in fighting shape, then it dont matter how hi the bet, if im not prepared it can work against me(not always-but it can, like last year)

Curious if you and Dippy Dave ever matched up and played?