C. Deuel vs. E. Reyes 2013 Make It Happen

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This match, as are all matches in this series, is played on a 5' X 10' table.

Reyes has one ball in this game and it's Deuel's shot. What would you do?

cd1.jpg

cd2.jpg

cd3.jpg

cd4.jpg

piggybank04

Verified Member
well you could 3 rail the 5 with low right leaving the cue ball where it is or shoot the 9 into the 6 moving both towards your side and leaving whitey by the side pocket--i see many more shots but i just got done working 15 hrs and im too tired to show them now--maybe later......

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
With Reyes, that nine ball has gotta go, I'd two rail it with high right and put whitey on my side behind the upper r/h side solid. That four ball combo on the two ball looks near dead on for Duels pocket and will be a huge concern for Effie as will the nine ball.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Move the 9

Move the 9

Think you have to move the 9 and you have a couple options. You can stun cue ball between 14 and 7 but you have to favor the 7. Looks like if you hit it bad and hit the 14 first with whitey you may leave bank on the 8. Or you could play it safe taking the 9 out and lagging snow towards the 6 as long as the 11 doesn't bank.

Personally I'm confident with snow and would put him in the stack between the 14 and 7 and take the 9 out sending it 2 or 3 rails on my side ending up probably close to the "kitchen line."

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I love the idea of this shot, and I have tried playing it many times -- it has to be played as ALL cue ball in my experience, because as nice and neatly as it diagrams, it is not that easy to come off the side rail and into exactly the right part of the stack that you need to for this shot to work as planned. I would have to admit, my percentage on accurately getting the cue ball to do that is not that great. When it works, it is a fantastic shot, but when it doesn't, you can easily leave a bank or straight in shot for your opponent! The object ball is the easy part.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I like Frank's shot also. The decider is if the 9-ball can be hit with the right speed to allow it to 2-or-3-rail to Corey's corner, but not with too much speed that it would spread open the stack with the CB. As Steve said, the CB is most important.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Imo if you're going to shoot the 9ball then you should play to position the 9ball close to your pocket. The other method of moving the 9ball just to position the cue ball in the stack is really not that effective, too easy for your opponent to escape from that position and also open up balls on his side. If there was a ball or balls positioned on the bottom rail then maybe just positioning the cue ball in the stack would be a better option. The gamble with shooting the 9ball toward your pocket is a good one when you consider that nothing goes in your opponents pocket if you should butcher the controlling of the cue ball, however, if you happen to hit the shot well you'll have a clear advantage. I would like to bring this point forward again, and that is, just positioning the cue ball in the stack is not always a good option, there are times when your opponent can develop a better position from your leave then he had prior to you shooting your shot.

There may be another option that would be very strong providing the balls lay good for the shot, i'll explain. It looks to me that the 2ball is lined up reasonably close to being pocketed by playing the 4 ball combination, if it is then playing off the 14ball and drawing the cue ball ..to the left of the 9ball.. if possible would be a very strong shot. The ending position you seek for the cue ball will be to the left of the 9ball, using the 9ball as a cover ball for the 5ball and 8ball. The key to the shot is positioning the cue ball where the 9ball is a cover ball. This shot will open up all balls (mostly on your side) and will give you a distinct advantage in ball position with a possible trapping position that could be very difficult to escape from.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
There may be another option that would be very strong providing the balls lay good for the shot, i'll explain. It looks to me that the 2ball is lined up reasonably close to being pocketed by playing the 4 ball combination, if it is then playing off the 10ball and drawing the cue ball ..to the left of the 9ball.. if possible would be a very strong shot. The ending position you seek for the cue ball will be to the left of the 9ball, using the 9ball as a cover ball for the 5ball and 8ball. The key to the shot is positioning the cue ball where the 9ball is a cover ball. This shot will open up all balls (mostly on your side) and will give you a distinct advantage in ball position with a possible trapping position that could be very difficult to escape from.

Dr. Bill

Do you mean draw off the 14 to the left of the 9? It doesn't look like you can get to the 10.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like Frank's shot also. The decider is if the 9-ball can be hit with the right speed to allow it to 2-or-3-rail to Corey's corner, but not with too much speed that it would spread open the stack with the CB. As Steve said, the CB is most important.

Doc

That's the reason my diagram shows hitting the rail with the nine ball before the side pocket. Hitting it past the side pocket and playing to your hole would mean cutting the nine ball a bit more causing the cue ball to have more speed and hitting the stack harder. Cue ball control here is most important.
I believe by hitting the nine ball fuller it will have the speed to get somewhere near your hole.

bstroud

Verified Member
If the angle is right on a 10 foot I would shoot the 9 into the six and follow the cue ball to the end rail. Distance rules on Bigfoot.

Hiding the cue ball in the stack in this situation on the 5x10 doesn't really give you much advantage unless you can get a ball very near your pocket. Distance does.

Bill S.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If the angle is right on a 10 foot I would shoot the 9 into the six and follow the cue ball to the end rail. Distance rules on Bigfoot.

Hiding the cue ball in the stack in this situation on the 5x10 doesn't really give you much advantage unless you can get a ball very near your pocket. Distance does.

Bill S.

Weather it's an eight, nine, or ten foot table I believe not giving him a look at any balls that are on your side of the table does have some advantages.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Do you mean draw off the 14 to the left of the 9? It doesn't look like you can get to the 10.
My bad, you're correct it's the 14ball not the 10ball. If you have the ability to draw off the 14ball and position the cue ball to the left of the 9ball using the 9ball as a cover ball from the 5ball and 8ball your in business.

Dr. Bill

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
My bad, you're correct it's the 14ball not the 10ball. If you have the ability to draw off the 14ball and position the cue ball to the left of the 9ball using the 9ball as a cover ball from the 5ball and 8ball your in business.

Dr. Bill

Agreed. Top player like Corey might even come off the rail and put whitey on the 9.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Bill S.

This was also my first thought until I realized the 6 was too close to the rail for a good carom with the 9 ball.

Dennis

bstroud

Verified Member
Weather it's an eight, nine, or ten foot table I believe not giving him a look at any balls that are on your side of the table does have some advantages.

Frank,

Check the weather? Whether?

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement.

Shot values are completely different on different size tables because of the size of the real estate.

On the shot in question on a 5x10 it is an easy shot to go off the stack and get behind the ball closest to the pocket for a safety. On a 4x8 the margin of error is much less.

Distance is the key on the 5x10.

Bill S.