Slow pace of play

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
First off let me say thanks for the reality check given by guys who I've played many times, (John H. Dr. Billy, Simon, Don, Red Shoes/John Lavin, etc.) who know that for normal stakes..$20 - $100 a game..I play at an average pace - not fast and not slow...

I don't have to address my supposed slow pace of play during my match with John, but I will...and this is not a response to the knockers..cuz they are worms, and I don't speak to worms...I'm responding to a couple of guys who asked respectfully about my pace of play in the match..that said..I'm going to explain a few things...

To start with, I'm gonna re-post something I posted up last week, since evidently, it needs repeating..this addresses, once again, one reason for my studying my options carefully before shooting --->

Some people obviously don't know the meaning of, or don't have any use for, the word respect.....besides for myself, and the $$$ of my own that I have up...I have the responsibility of doing my best to do the right thing for people betting a lot of $$$ on me - I would never disrespect them by not doing my best to find the best shot to shoot in every inning.

- Ghost

I was not at liberty before today to say so..but Dr. Billy is the primary person that I was referring to in that post re. respect.

Accomplished/experienced One Pocket players understand that many shots require some scrutiny to judge the object balls bank, safety, or deflection angle, or the cueballs path, down to the exact 1/16" - this being required for making the right decision re. the shot choice..or to precisely weigh the risk/reward % properly, based on all factors currently in play in the match.....I'll rush this process when playing for $40 a game, but not for $4,500.

And as for my stepping away from the table momentarily at times between innings..I'll make these two facts known...

#1. As I posted earlier..it was 93-94 degrees with high humidity the weekend that we played..that said...I wear glasses with x-large high-riding lenses, like the ones Howard Vickery used to wear...well unfortunately they constantly pick up moisture from my forehead and fog up..also I play with an unwrapped cue....so when the camera showed me often step away from the table for a minute - I was wiping clear my glasses, (I went through a box of eyeglass tissues during the match) and also, putting talcum powder on my hands.

#2. Also because of the hot air temperature, and from wanting to get some sharp focus-alertness..I drank about 6 cups of coffee and 3 sodas/energy drinks before and/or during playing..and that, (as other slightly, kidney or prostate challenged guys in their 60's and 70's will understand :eek:) had me needing to take a leak about every 30 minutes - that's the other reason I was away from the table at times...and I was even joking with some of the sweaters about this...because some years ago, we used to have a couple of self-medicating, strong players here in Chicago named waterdog and rocketman (who some of you knew)..well, waterdog and rocketman would make frequent bathroom trips while playing, to 'freshen up' shall we say :heh...so when I walked past the sweaters on one of my many bathroom trips I said to them - "I've been going to the bathroom as many times as rocketman used to go"

- Ghost

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Intangables

Intangables

Those of us on SS understand all to well your situation. You mentioned Fog in your glasses. I'd consider going to a dive shop and getting a small bottle of antifog, I've seen em in one ta two oz bottles. I break out in a full sweat Many times during match play summer or winter. I'm glad neither of you had a physical issue during play effecting its outcome.

Nice write and read.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... #1. As I posted earlier..it was 93-94 degrees with high humidity the weekend that we played.. ...

Well gawd darn, son, those are the conditions we play in 9 months a year!:D Just yanking yer chain, Luke. I thought you played great, and it's always a pleasure to observe your play.

But I don't know how you can drink coffee and energy drinks under pressure. The older I get, the coffee makes me feel good; but although my mind tells me what to do, my cuestick doesn't often comply...:rolleyes: Plus it makes me too nervous.

It's kinda like Billy Johnson used to say about snappers: "They make me so wired up, I tend to jump the cueball off the table. And that's on the LAG!"

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended

But I don't know how you can drink coffee and energy drinks under pressure. The older I get, the coffee makes me feel good; but although my mind tells me what to do, my cuestick doesn't often comply...:rolleyes: Plus it makes me too nervous.

It's kinda like Billy Johnson used to say about snappers: "They make me so wired up, I tend to jump the cueball off the table. And that's on the LAG!"

Doc

All good points Doc !..I guess thats why I never got hooked on snappers or coffee (or even NoDoz)...They didn't have 'sports drinks' in my day, but I understand they too, are almost pure caffeine !

I found the best stimulant and 'nerve calmer' for me, was a few nips of booze !..I know that is not a popular option for most, but I had myself convinced I couldn't make a ball without it..(and I couldn't).. As long as I didn't do the old "miss a ball, take a drink" thingy..it worked pretty well for me !..:p

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I have no problem believing everything you have said here about the distractions you were having to deal with, and in the other thread regarding the pressures you were under, and the effect they had on your play. Its a wonder you were able to play as well as you did.

I am a 65 yr old diabetic that wears glasses, has prostrate problems, and uses powder like you do, so I understand having to manage your circumstances. I have to control high and low blood sugar with medication and sugar pills during a prolonged match. I also make sure the room has the air conditioner set to keep things cool.

As a player and sometimes stakehorse, its been my experience that the extent that one can manage his circumstances, and put the pressures out of his mind in order to play his normal game at his normal pace is more likely to determine whether I/We get the cheese, moreso than whether mine or my players abilities outstrip the opponents coming in.

And so, in light of the pressures and distractions you have spoken about, I wonder what you and your backer(s) think of what I have said here?

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
And as for my stepping away from the table momentarily at times between innings..I'll make these two facts known...

#1. As I posted earlier..it was 93-94 degrees with high humidity the weekend that we played..that said...I wear glasses with x-large high-riding lenses, like the ones Howard Vickery used to wear...well unfortunately they constantly pick up moisture from my forehead and fog up..also I play with an unwrapped cue....so when the camera showed me often step away from the table for a minute - I was wiping clear my glasses, (I went through a box of eyeglass tissues during the match) and also, putting talcum powder on my hands.

#2. Also because of the hot air temperature, and from wanting to get some sharp focus-alertness..I drank about 6 cups of coffee and 3 sodas/energy drinks before and/or during playing..and that, (as other slightly, kidney or prostate challenged guys in their 60's and 70's will understand :eek:) had me needing to take a leak about every 30 minutes - that's the other reason I was away from the table at times...and I was even joking with some of the sweaters about this...because some years ago, we used to have a couple of self-medicating, strong players here in Chicago named waterdog and rocketman (who some of you knew)..well, waterdog and rocketman would make frequent bathroom trips while playing, to 'freshen up' shall we say :heh...so when I walked past the sweaters on one of my many bathroom trips I said to them - "I've been going to the bathroom as many times as rocketman used to go"

- Ghost

Taking a little extra time is definitely understandable. I thought your overall pace was ok. Again, just was curious about the exaggerated pauses before the case ball.

Hey, maybe you can get in one of those commercials..." Do you have a Going problem? Do you start and stop?" :lol

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And last of all...

Just in case anyone thinks I was saying that any health/physical issues were detrimentally at play for me during this match...nope, not the case at all - I was feeling great physically during this 3 day match..with the lone exception of being tired during hours 7 and 8 on the first night of play.

- Ghost

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
And last of all...

Just in case anyone thinks I was saying that any health/physical issues were detrimentally at play for me during this match...nope, not the case at all - I was feeling great physically during this 3 day match..with the lone exception of being tired during hours 7 and 8 on the first night of play.

- Ghost

Anybody who has played a long session such as this can understand and sympathize with this. The mental and physical fatigue can really take its toll. I played a fella a similar match once (took 3 days) and one thing that I always had a problem with was sleeping on the nights between sessions. All of the shots go through your mind, you think about what you did wrong, about what you did right, and what you want to do differently the next session. It was personally grueling for me. I have sleeping issues as it is and during a high stakes gambling match it definitely can worsen them.

Oops...misread...you say you were only tired first night. Well you are an exception to above!

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Anybody who has played a long session such as this can understand and sympathize with this. The mental and physical fatigue can really take its toll. I played a fella a similar match once (took 3 days) and one thing that I always had a problem with was sleeping on the nights between sessions. All of the shots go through your mind, you think about what you did wrong, about what you did right, and what you want to do differently the next session. It was personally grueling for me. I have sleeping issues as it is and during a high stakes gambling match it definitely can worsen them.

Oops...misread...you say you were only tired first night. Well you are an exception to above!

All you need to do is get broke. You'll sleep like a rock.
I always slept the best after I got broke. Many times ! :)
Rod.
P.S. No shame in getting broke, embarrassing if you stay that way. :eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Those of us on SS understand all to well your situation. You mentioned Fog in your glasses. I'd consider going to a dive shop and getting a small bottle of antifog, I've seen em in one ta two oz bottles. I break out in a full sweat Many times during match play summer or winter. I'm glad neither of you had a physical issue during play effecting its outcome.

Nice write and read.

Thanks I D....and I just might look into getting some of that anti-fog stuff.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
All you need to do is get broke. You'll sleep like a rock.
I always slept the best after I got broke. Many times ! :)
Rod.
P.S. No shame in getting broke, embarrassing if you stay that way. :eek:

I've been broke more than once and it makes me sleep WORSE!

Some people can't go to sleep with money in their pockets :)

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
This might sound crazy, but have you tried wiping a little shaving cream on the lenes of your glasses? I tried that once and they didn't fog up when i was in a hot and humid environment.