Suki

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
In respose to our conversation on the other post by the Ghost that I didn't want to hijack:
I will come to play you at your home room. We can make arrangments here or by PM.
Since you say you know about me and I don't know a thing about you I will still come your way.

I only asked to play because of your statment that if I don't have the confidence to shoot a spot shot then I should quit playng. After we play then you can make the decision for yourself if I need to quit.
I believe you're in NoCal, correct? If so, then it would be an easy trip for me.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't mean to get in the middle of this, but that choice is a very interesting one to me. I think we should have a wwyd on it, but it would probably get way too out of hand.

Personally, I believe the shot you choose there will tell you what type of player you are. There are many ways to put this... I once heard a golfer say "I try to focus on where I want to go, not where I don't".

There is no right or wrong here, but I do think in pool that shot would kinda tease apart players who look to win and get in the winners circle when they shoot (perhaps to their demise), and those who cower at every possible negative outcome (perhaps leading to their victory).

Just because you cower away doesn't make it wrong. The interesting part is the right shot is the one you win with, regardless of cowering or firing. Firing often comes off with more bravado, but bravado really doesn't matter, winning does.

I can tell you I have been around some very good players, and have even played some decent pool myself. I think that shot selection there is VERY dependent upon your offensive abilities. That being said, I can't think of any good, young player I was around in all my life that would not have been firing that spot shot in the hole. Right or wrong I feel that to be true. I see a "new" vs "older" player divine on this shot, and it kinda exemplifies the point. Personally, if I was playing and you did not shoot at that spot shot, big bells would be going off in my head saying this guy does not want to win. But you also have to take into consideration the offensive ability of the player. Was it the right shot there for John? I would have to say yes, it probably was.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Well, I was waitin' for ya to reach :D out since I noticed the alleged living location of Suki compared to you. I'm bettin' he backs out....he probably lives in a dorm ;).

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I don't mean to get in the middle of this, but that choice is a very interesting one to me. I think we should have a wwyd on it, but it would probably get way too out of hand.

Personally, I believe the shot you choose there will tell you what type of player you are. There are many ways to put this... I once heard a golfer say "I try to focus on where I want to go, not where I don't".

There is no right or wrong here, but I do think in pool that shot would kinda tease apart players who look to win and get in the winners circle when they shoot (perhaps to their demise), and those who cower at every possible negative outcome (perhaps leading to their victory).

Just because you cower away doesn't make it wrong. The interesting part is the right shot is the one you win with, regardless of cowering or firing. Firing often comes off with more bravado, but bravado really doesn't matter, winning does.

I can tell you I have been around some very good players, and have even played some decent pool myself. I think that shot selection there is VERY dependent upon your offensive abilities. That being said, I can't think of any good, young player I was around in all my life that would not have been firing that spot shot in the hole. Right or wrong I feel that to be true. I see a "new" vs "older" player divine on this shot, and it kinda exemplifies the point. Personally, if I was playing and you did not shoot at that spot shot, big bells would be going off in my head saying this guy does not want to win. But you also have to take into consideration the offensive ability of the player. Was it the right shot there for John? I would have to say yes, it probably was.

Tyler alot of different opinions on the shot selected. Alot of people get hung up on "your supposed to make it" so go ahead and shoot it. My personal choice on this shot varies. You have to weigh out all the scenarios and situations. Score of the game and set, tightness of table etc.. then you have to factor in THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the equation. Do you think you are going to make it right NOW? If you are tired( these guys are older gentlemen who have been playing a grueling match at this point) then you should probably opt for the bank. If you are in dead stroke then you should fire in the spot shot. Again the most important thing is how YOU FEEL at the time. If you feel like you are not going to make it then why shoot it? Because the keyboard warriors will criticize you if you dont? **** THEM. That said factoring everything in.. score, tightness of table, type of match its been(grueling)I would probably shoot the bank
No matter what option you choose these are the 4 opinions you will hear from the Monday morning quaterbacks. 1.You shoot the spot shot and make it your hero and you were suppose to make it. 2. You shoot the spot shot and miss and you are a dogging piece of shit that deserves to lose. 3.You opt for the bank and win the game then you are a top notch mover who didn't get sucked into shooting the dangerous spot shot. 4.You opt for the bank and lose the game then you are a gutless coward who didn't have the balls to shoot the spot shot for the cash... Like it or not one of those 4 opinions are coming when this shot comes up.
These guys both played good and hard and nobody should question any of their choices. The most vocal guy on here won't play anyone with a gun to his head because he has been challenged a few times on here and makes excuses ( MY EYES):rolleyes: so don't bother wasting your time listening to someone who never beat anyone. If you watched the match you should be a better one pocket player then before and that's what counts

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
You're getting pretty good at posting OPH. Practice makes perfect. ;) agree with the post.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Tyler alot of different opinions on the shot selected. Alot of people get hung up on "your supposed to make it" so go ahead and shoot it. My personal choice on this shot varies. You have to weigh out all the scenarios and situations. Score of the game and set, tightness of table etc.. then you have to factor in THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the equation. Do you think you are going to make it right NOW? If you are tired( these guys are older gentlemen who have been playing a grueling match at this point) then you should probably opt for the bank. If you are in dead stroke then you should fire in the spot shot. Again the most important thing is how YOU FEEL at the time. If you feel like you are not going to make it then why shoot it? Because the keyboard warriors will criticize you if you dont? **** THEM. That said factoring everything in.. score, tightness of table, type of match its been(grueling)I would probably shoot the bank
No matter what option you choose these are the 4 opinions you will hear from the Monday morning quaterbacks. 1.You shoot the spot shot and make it your hero and you were suppose to make it. 2. You shoot the spot shot and miss and you are a dogging piece of shit that deserves to lose. 3.You opt for the bank and win the game then you are a top notch mover who didn't get sucked into shooting the dangerous spot shot. 4.You opt for the bank and lose the game then you are a gutless coward who didn't have the balls to shoot the spot shot for the cash... Like it or not one of those 4 opinions are coming when this shot comes up.
These guys both played good and hard and nobody should question any of their choices. The most vocal guy on here won't play anyone with a gun to ahead because he has been challenged a few times on here and makes excuses ( MY EYES):rolleyes: so don't bother wasting your time listening to someone who never beat anyone. If you watched the match you should be a better one pocket player then before and that's what counts

Its good to get the low down on the ins and outs of the ups and downs. No, seriously, you tell it like it is like only a top player could tell you.

I don't know anybody who is 100% on spot shots even with ball in hand behind the line. If you want to find out, write your percentage on a piece of paper and then shoot 100 spot shots. I did it once at the request of Eddie Robin and was seriously humbled by the result. In fact I did it 3 times. When I hear people wolfing to go for it, I often tell them that there is no testosterone test at the end of the match. Do like Rob says. Shoot the way you're supposed to and not the way Hercules would.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
These guys both played good and hard and nobody should question any of their choices. The most vocal guy on here won't play anyone with a gun to his head because he has been challenged a few times on here and makes excuses ( MY EYES):rolleyes: so don't bother wasting your time listening to someone who never beat anyone. If you watched the match you should be a better one pocket player then before and that's what counts

know the percentages, know your opponent, and above all - you have to know yourself

then you can make the educated decision

nicely said Hacker, well said sir

ps
very much enjoyed John and Luke's performances. super entertaining. thx fellas

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
This was not a WWYD. It was a very common situation that we have all seen many times, and by now we have decided which way to go, and under what circumstances. John did not hesitate. He went right to it, and probably will again next time. The thing that would make you feel really bad would be to know what you are supposed to do, and then not do it, and lose.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

You make a lot of good points and the critics will respond according to what happens, like always. However, after you factor in everything you should be able to determine how you feel about pocketing the spot shot..age..hours played...tightness of table...score of game..position of the second ball..ect.ect. You must also factor in the strength of your opponent which will certainly cloud an already clouded decision choice. But maybe I can help you clear up the decision making process with the right choice based off of percentages.

Naturally the position of the second ball is very influential in the decision making process. In this situation where the second ball is positioned high on the side rail should influence you to shoot the spot shot for several reasons.
#1 Shooting the spot shot the second ball is easier to defend against.
#2 Tougher bank to make.
#3 Tougher ball to play safe off of if your going for the pocket with the bank

Needing one ball to your opponents two balls you are at least a 9/5 favorite to a possible 3/1 favorite. The stronger your opponent is the less of a favorite you are in this type of a situation. This is something you need to judge for yourself to determine if you want to shoot the spot shot or bank the ball. However, you must be able to determine how much of a favorite, or dog you are to make the spot shot. After you factor in all the conditions with ..age..tightness of table...hours played...position of second ball...and you determine that you're even money to make the spot shot, then imo you should shoot it. (unless you're playing a weakened player) If you're 50/50 to make the spot shot you rate to win out of 10 games 5 games by shooting the spot shot. The 5 times you miss the spot shot you rate to win at least 60% of those games (3 games) for a total of 8 games. So by shooting the spot shot you rate to win 80% of the games played.

Now by banking the ball you again must factor in the make percentage of the bank to help you determine if the bank is the better option. However, with the bank you don't need to make as high of a percentage as with the spot shot because of the safety factor with the bank. If you shoot the bank and miss it (providing you play a good cue ball) you will retain a higher win percentage than the 60% win percentage that the missed spot shot carries.

Lets say you rate to make 30% of the banks, out of 10 games you will win 3 games. The 7 times the bank is missed you rate to win at a rate of 70% (about 5 games) 4.9 games to be exact. Which will give you a 79% win percentage out of 10 games.

You now have the formula, all that's left is to factor in all the conditions and you'll have your answer. But don't forget, if you're playing a weak player for what ever reason...lean toward the bank.:D

Dr. Bill

backplaying

Verified Member

I agree. I know after playing for many hours and being tired that spot shot might not look as good as when you first started.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA

Nice Post Mr. Hacker!

Lots of insight here

Dudley

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Ok, Suki, since I haven't heard from you I take it that you're not interested. You have your reasons and I fully understand. Even if we never play and someday meet, we will shake hands like friends. Take care and be well.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Ok, Suki, since I haven't heard from you I take it that you're not interested. You have your reasons and I fully understand. Even if we never play and someday meet, we will shake hands like friends. Take care and be well.

This is not directed at your post partner Frank.

Have to believe though there are entirely too many keyboard warriors on OnePocket.org or other pool forums for that matter.

Total respect for all who let their cues do the talkin' :)

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Hey

Hey

Sorry bout that, I don't log on that much anymore. Like the guy said, a lot of b.s. to get through. Like they say in Price is Right. I own Fast Eddy's in Capitola, I am available 7 days a week. You know I just expressed my opinion on the shot and stick by it. I get upset when someones thinks there way is the only way and brags how long they have been playing and that makes them right. You may not have meant to sound like that but that is the way I took it.
Thanks for the kind words.
Richard Cady , fasteddysbilliards.com

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Sorry bout that, I don't log on that much anymore. Like the guy said, a lot of b.s. to get through. Like they say in Price is Right. I own Fast Eddy's in Capitola, I am available 7 days a week. You know I just expressed my opinion on the shot and stick by it. I get upset when someones thinks there way is the only way and brags how long they have been playing and that makes them right. You may not have meant to sound like that but that is the way I took it.
Thanks for the kind words.
Richard Cady , fasteddysbilliards.com

So is this an invite for da Barber to play at your room?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
So is this an invite for da Barber to play at your room?

If it is, then we need to make some arrangements, day, amount, type of set, or sets. Hard to make a trip like this without knowing the details. I left an opening for him to just say not interested and then let it go but it seems he may still be interested. PM one way or the other. No hard feelings Suki.