Observation from behind the counter (@ Red Shoes Billiards)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Well....It was a GREAT MATCH. This is an observation from an EXPERT. I figure I watch more ONE POCKET than just about any human in America (i.e. I'm at Red Shoes Billiards 80+ hours a week). After 21+ hours of play (in a race to 10) and the players are BOTH shooting at the LAST BALL in a hill-hill match....WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT? It was the essence of a CLASSIC ONE POCKET. Both players were evenly matched (hence the "last ball"), and the match if replayed today could just as easily go the other way. Congratulations to "Gentleman John" (the term "Gentleman" is VERY APPROPRIATE...a 100% class act). Also Congratulations to "Bruce the Ghost" (who really does MOVE LIKE A GHOST). Again....IT WAS A GREAT MATCH. Thank You Both. REGARDS, J. Lavin

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Well....It was a GREAT MATCH. This is an observation from an EXPERT. I figure I watch more ONE POCKET than just about any human in America (i.e. I'm at Red Shoes Billiards 80+ hours a week). After 21+ hours of play (in a race to 10) and the players are BOTH shooting at the LAST BALL in a hill-hill match....WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT? It was the essence of a CLASSIC ONE POCKET. Both players were evenly matched (hence the "last ball"), and the match if replayed today could just as easily go the other way. Congratulations to "Gentleman John" (the term "Gentleman" is VERY APPROPRIATE...a 100% class act). Also Congratulations to "Bruce the Ghost" (who really does MOVE LIKE A GHOST). Again....IT WAS A GREAT MATCH. Thank You Both. REGARDS, J. Lavin

Thanks John, I truly felt at home there and love the room. The sweators were amazing too. Quiet and respectful and fun to interact with when there was a pause in the match.

World class players in action, a young phenom, and all the side action you want.

Red Shoes is a players room. I hope we get to do it all over again.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I wish we had a room like Red Shoes here in Florida. No such luck. I'd move out to Chi-town but I can't bring myself to leave paradise. I guess even paradise has it's price to pay.

Tom

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Just being a wise ass

Just being a wise ass

Could u observe from behind the counter how bad the right pocket rolled out.
In my opinion it cost Ghost the match. I thought his game ball was in twice and it rolled out. Of course I was rooting for John so I didn't mind.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
In my opinion it cost Ghost the match. I thought his game ball was in twice and it rolled out. Of course I was rooting for John so I didn't mind.

I have played on that table 100's of times. The roll out is about 1/4 of an inch. Unfortunately for me throughout my career, I was seldom lucky enough to play on tables that only rolled off that much.

Beard

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
well then

well then

I have played on that table 100's of times. The roll out is about 1/4 of an inch. Unfortunately for me throughout my career, I was seldom lucky enough to play on tables that only rolled off that much.

Beard

They should have leveled it before match. 1/4 of a ball on that tight table was like parting the red sea.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Thanks John, for the kind words...and you were the perfect host, as always.

- Ghost

PS, And let me take time here to tell everyone who watched this stream, that you'all have another guy to thank, who hasn't been thanked yet..but only because you guys don't know he exists...

I'm speaking of a regular at Red Shoes - a guy named Jerry - the Red Shoes audio/video guy - the Red Shoes 'CaliRed'....Jerry is the guy who makes all the streaming possible and running smoothly, and on his own time archiving it all...

...Thanks much Jerry, and if I won i'da given you some jelly..:heh..and I'm kicking myself for not thinking to mention to John H. that he might want to do that.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Thanks John, for the kind words...and you were the perfect host, as always.

- Ghost

PS, And let me take time here to tell everyone who watched this stream, that you'all have another guy to thank, who hasn't been thanked yet..but only because you guys don't know he exists...

I'm speaking of a regular at Red Shoes - a guy named Jerry - the Red Shoes audio/video guy - the Red Shoes 'calired'....Jerry is the guy who makes all the streaming possible and running smoothly, and on his own time archiving it all...

...Thanks much Jerry, and if I won i'da given you some jelly..:heh..and I'm kicking myself for not thinking to mention to John H. that he might want to do that.

I tried to but Jerry would not take it.

On another note, I left the disks Jerry made for me at Red Shoes. Hope I can get them and if they are still there, my mailing address is in the papers I left, but here it is again: P.O. Box 681, Plymouth, CA 95669

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I tried to but Jerry would not take it.

On another note, I left the disks Jerry made for me at Red Shoes. Hope I can get them and if they are still there, my mailing address is in the papers I left, but here it is again: P.O. Box 681, Plymouth, CA 95669

Ok John, good...as for the disks..if nobody else does it, I'll send them to you.......after first erasing the last few minutes of the final disk...:eek:...:heh

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Ok John, good...as for the disks..if nobody else does it, I'll send them to you.......after first erasing the last few minutes of the final disk...:eek:...:heh

You're a good man with a good heart Mr. Ghost and still showing that sense of humor. Thanks for an exciting weekend. The match ended up as if it was a coin toss. Could have gone either way. :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
You're a good man with a good heart Mr. Ghost and still showing that sense of humor. Thanks for an exciting weekend. The match ended up as if it was a coin toss. Could have gone either way. :)

Thanks for sayin' Frank...we don't know eachother well, but I believe you're a good man too...or at least I did think that..until you posted the other day that you needed a 2 ball spot from me..:rolleyes:...:D

PS, And as for my sense of humor, tell you what Frank..my better half Riva is sure glad to see that - since on Monday night she had to talk me down off the ledge...:eek:...:eek:

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
When a big set comes down to the last few balls that's really something...

Thanks John and Ghost for allowing the match to be streamed.

It was a great match to spectate.

It really could have gone either way.

Class all around. Don't listen to any one who has something bad to say. It was a fierce battle which I enjoyed watching.

I enjoyed this way more than watching pro's play. Both of you are strongest at what I'm weakest at. -> shot selection/ strategy

Dudley

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

They should have leveled it before match. 1/4 of a ball on that tight table was like parting the red sea.

Freddy said 1/4 of an inch not 1/4 of a ball.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Freddy said 1/4 of an inch

Dennis

From a previous post of mine ------>

I still take responsibility for missing the shot..with that said..John you are exactly right re. my thinking when missing that game ball...I was trying to play the roll a little and wound up undercutting it a little as a result....and as John knows after all the hours we played on that table..depending on speed, and the tangent angle coming towards the pocket, the roll-off at that pocket is more than just 1/4" as was incorrectly posted up earlier today.

- Ghost

And I will bet on it :cool: