My Story, 'San Jose Dick' McMorran

SJDinPHX

Suspended

..................................................................Prologue

I would like to share a story. It is about a life-style that only ‘hard core’ pool afficienados (aka, degenerates) can relate to. Pool has long been a large part of the American culture. The popular musical “The Music Man”, lyrically depicted a pool room, as a gathering place, for ne’er do wells’, and a place to be avoided by decent folks, and their off-spring. I will not try to defend that definition, but I will try to bring a sense of realism to the game, that has been a large part of my life since early childhood, of which I am well into my ‘second one’ now !

There is no reasonable debate, as to which sport, (or game) is more financially rewarding, to those who reach the professional level. Obviously Golf, or Tennis far eclipse pool in that area. But, those who really understand the finer points of our game, know that to become highly proficient at it, requires just as much dedication and resolve, as any other endeavor, possibly even more. I say that, because of the millions world wide, who love and enjoy pool, very few seem to rise to the pinnacle of the game.

In our formative years, we do not always get to choose the path our life will take us on. We are more often the product of our environment, and the games we fall in love with, or pursue, are likely to be just a matter of exposure. There were no golf courses, or even tennis courts, where I grew up. And, I never made it to college. So much for why my wasted youth, caused me to gravitate toward pool !

There have been many good books written on the subject of pool, and ‘hustling’. A few have even made it to the big screen. “The Hustler” (1961) and its lesser sequal. “The Color of Money.” (1984) are two that stand out. A few others, like “the Baltimore Bullet” and “Pool Hall Junkies”, did not fare nearly as well ! I believe the mass appeal of “The Hustler” was due in part, to an outstanding cast and director, at their peak of popularity. But also because it was a genuine look at lifes bitter realities. Pool hustling, with all its color and mystique, was just a vehicle to tell the story. Much like DeNero’s “Raging Bull” used boxing to spin a similar sordid tale.

Many of our favorite ‘pool hustler’s, have written of their adventures, usually with the help of a ghost writer. Many are filled with real life experiences, and are very entertaining, and realistic. However, some of them tend to get bogged down with who they beat, and how much money they won, or lost. I don’t mean to be overly critical of their efforts, as there are some very good stories involved. I obviously lack the writing skills, of a Walter Tevis, or a George Fels. But, I am going to try and bring a little more sense of reality, and maybe a little humor, to the lifestyle I have enjoyed, most of my life. Incidently, almost all the other ‘pool authors’ are good friends of mine, and I would be happy if my effort, were accepted at least as well as theirs.

SJD, Dick Mc Morran

SJDinPHX

Suspended

I actually started this project, as a way of telling my kids, more than they ever really knew about me. This first chapter may be a little redundant, as I believe Steve covered some of it in his interview with me, and I have shared much of it, with a few close friends... But after I get into the second chapter, the SJ , and Texas years, its all new stuff !

.............................................................................Chapter One

Those of us addicted to pool lore, tend to root for the old ‘cross-roader’s’ or ‘gunslingers’, if you prefer, and the lifestyle they led…I would compare most of them to happy-go-lucky wanderers with a pool cue, and the skill to use it. At least that’s how always I looked at it. Some were smart gambler’s, some weren’t, but it was hard, not to love the lifestyle. Sleep ‘til noon, or later, and no time clock to punch. And, no drive was too far (often in an old beater, which doubled as a hotel)...if there was the slightest hope of making the “big score” ! Many of the guy’s I met, criss-crossing that never ending highway, looking for an easy buck, could tell similar stories. For what its worth, this is mine.

I was raised in the small town of Dolores, Colo., pop. 500. The town set in a canyon at an elevation of about 6,000 ft. Its main sustainance were the surrounding farms and ranches. I guess nowadays, tourism is also a big business. As soon as you left town, heading north along the Dolores River, you were in the high mountains and pine forests of one of the most scenic areas in the entire state of Colorado. During deer and elk season, the invasion of hunters was almost overwhelming. The three bars and two restaurants, and the old three story Del Rio Hotel, did a land office business. It was a great place to grow up and the memories of those years are filled with camp-outs, fishing, and hunting with my childhood buddies. While growing up, I scarcely noticed the beautiful landscape. I guess we all thought everyone lived that way.

Back then, even the smallest of towns, had a poolroom. Ours was on the main drag next to the Malt Shop, where all us kids hung out. By age 9 or 10, I became fascinated with the noise of the balls breaking, and the colored balls on the green felt. There were no age restrictions then, so I soon found myself spending more time in the pool room, than I did at the Malt Shop. That is until I played hooky one day and tried to go in there. Kenny Hart, the owner, booted my ass out. Plus, he snitched on me, and I got some more ass pounding when I got home ! Plus, I was forbidden to go in the pool room, ever again ! That put a damper on my first love affair with pool, and I continued on with a fairly normal childhood. Damn stupid old Kenny Hart ! And, his son, Ken Jr., was my best buddy in school ! He thought it was funny, ‘til I threatened to tell his dad, about all our ‘smoking’, beer drinking, and watermelon stealing escapades. That shut him up !

My life as a serious pool player began when I was a fourteen year old freshman in high school.
My folks moved 50 miles east, to Durango, (pop. then, about 9,000) I thought I’d died, and gone to heaven. Durango supported three bustling pool rooms, and my parents soon gave up trying to keep me out of them. I still played hooky but I knew better than to try and go in the pool room during school hours. But after school, weekends, or summer vacation, I opened and closed the joints. I cleaned tables and swabbed out spittoons for free pool at old Fred Titus’ pool room at 7th and Main, next to the Piggley Wiggley Market. Fred took a liking to me, and showed me the basics of the game. In about a years time, the student had surpassed the old master. By the tender age of sixteen or so, I was accepted as the best player in town, and the surrounding area.

The primary games played at that time, were Golf on a 5X10 snooker table, and “Kelly”, or pill pool, on the pool table. An occasional 8 ball, or 9 ball game would surface, but rarely. I guess one pocket, had been invented by that time, but I’d never even heard of it. The Kelly games were for dimes,and quarters. The stakes in the golf game were much higher, usually 5 or 6 handed, for $1 and a dime a hicky. On week-ends, it would soar to $2 and a quarter....'Double sellout'. My win/loss record was pretty good, even though I was a constant target, in those golf ring games. But, if I had a bad run, I always had the Kelly game to pump up again. You could not keep me broke !

In the late '40s, it was a gold mine for a kid who shot straight and loved the game. Durango was pretty well off the beaten path, so I progressed as a player without having to face much real competition from whatever road men there were at that time. I did have some fairly tough action, with some of the player’s from the larger oil boom town of Farmington, N.M., just 50 miles south of us. It gave me a chance to hone my 9-ball game. I usually prevailed and would often invade their turf, when things were slow at home. Times were good !

My step-dad, Walt, was a great guy, and a good father to all us kids. (my real dad died when I was 7 yrs. old) He would occasionally stop in to sweat my games, after a long hard day at the sawmill. He was usually impressed with the size of my bankroll, compared to the buck or two a day my mother doled out to him. After a good day at pool, I’d often treat him to a few beers and a good steak at the old Western Steak House, just a few doors down from the pool hall. Plus, he was always a soft touch for a few bucks on the rare occasions I needed it.

I remember around that time, I made my first 'big' score, off a stranger from Alamosa, Co. We were playing 9 ball, for $2, and then $5 a game, and I beat him out of $180. Safeties were unheard of then, and whoever shot the straightest, got the cash. After about the first $20-30, the rest was all on the wire. When he gave up, he wrote me a check. I thought I was rich. He asked me to wait a few days to cash it, ‘til he got back home..Sure, I said, no problem. Walt, had sweated the whole match, and he was very proud of me. Anyway, time came to cash the check, and I would soon be a hundred-aire. Well, the check was declined. It was not that he didn’t have the funds, he had stopped payment on it ! My dad was so hot, he drove me 130 miles to Alamosa, to get what I had coming. He was ready to fight, because in those days, you just didn’t do things like that. We did track him down, and got the money, and my dad even demanded an apology from him.

This story is not that unique, but for a funny coincidence. Just a few years ago, I was playing an exhibition match, with Bakersfield Bob Hernandez, at a local pool room here in Phoenix. Bobby and I had been friends for years. He was with a nice guy, who was a well known cue maker from Colorado. His name escapes me. But as we got to talking, out of the blue, he said I looked familiar, and asked me if I was from Durango. It seems that he remembered, that long forgotten 9 ball session with the guy from Alamosa, because as a 16 year old kid, he was his traveling companion. It seems, to this day, he was somewhat embarrassed, and apologetic, at how it was all handled ! I have his card somewhere, and when I locate it, I will tell you his name. It just goes to show, how small the pool world really is.

Moving on, as my pool game progressed, by time I was 18 or so, I felt I could surely beat anyone in the world. A few trips to the much larger cities of Denver and Alburqurque, soon convinced me I was wrong about that. They called me the “Durango Kid” in those days, and I had garnered a reputation, for being tough to beat, and willing to bet it up. But I was mostly a meal ticket for any smart hustler, and I’d often wind up borrowing gas money to get home, to pump up and try it again. My main problem was, I always had way too much gamble, and a young, headstrong attitude often got me in match-ups I had no chance of winning. It took me a while to shake that albatross. There was no one in my home town who had the slightest idea how to mentor a talented young player, on the ‘art’ of hustling. And looking back, I guess I lacked the 'street smarts', to figure it out for myself. It was a tough learning process.

The love bug bit me at 19, and in 1953, I barely escaped the angry wrath of her father, and eloped to Salt Lake City, to marry my pregnant first wife, Paula.. We would go on to have a great family, three boys and a girl, and, even though we were divorced in 1970, we remained very close, and I never stopped caring for her. Her untimely accidental death, in her 40's, (and in perfect health) was almost the end of me too. It is hard to dwell on that subject too long, so I won’t.

SLC in the 50’s, was another pool players haven for me. I found counter work in a small out of the way pool room, and I gradually learned a little more about what it took to make money at pool. The best player in SLC at that time, was Dick Miles. Dick was a successful roofing contractor, and after he endured a few costly pool lessons, at the hands of the ‘Durango kid’, we became good friends and he put me to work as a foreman on one of his roofing crews.

He had a contract with the government, to do the roofing on many of the Forest Ranger buildings being built throughout the Western states. They were usually in the mountains of Idaho or Wyoming, and it was a great job. I almost became a ‘square apple’, long before I was ready.

Dick also became my first real “Stakehorse” and rarely backed down from putting me in high dollar action against almost anyone, at golf or 9 ball. I spent a great few years in SLC. The old Peter Pan Billiards and the Iron Horse, were just a few doors apart downtown, on State St. There was almost always something going on at one place, or the other.

But, as I was learning, about my new found vocation, if you play too good, you soon run out of good action. So in the mid-fifties, at the urging of Paula's brother Roland, (also, coincidently a roofer) I moved my young family to San Jose, California (population then, about 170,000) I worked with Roland, for the first few months. Than, through a friend, I got kissed into a good job at Memorex (when they were just barely out of their garage) Silicon Valley, was just starting to take shape. But, the lure of easy pool action, soon caused me to quit that job.

Talk about a pool player’s paradise. San Jose was really booming then, and the pool rooms and bars were full of construction workers, with fat paychecks, lining up to play $2 or $5 ring 9 ball. Coin operated bar tables were just starting to show up then, but a lot of bars had at least one 8 or 9 footer in them. Also, there were hundreds of pool room’s throughout the bay area, and each one seemed to have it’s local hero. Money was very easy to come by.

I was pretty sure we'd found a great place to settle down…Our son and daughter (now 5 and 6) were in a good school. Paula was now an RN, and had a great job at the San Jose/Kaiser Hospital. I bought into a small pool room in Campbell. Things were going well. We bought a nice tract home, in the Alum Rock district of town and settled in for the good life. And, it was good for quite a while. Maybe too good to last !

....to be continued !

Last edited by a moderator:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

........................................................................Chapter Two

There will be times in this tale, I will have to depart from using real names. This next part of my story will be one such case. Anyone living in the Bay Area, around that time frame, (what few are left) and were active in our little underworld of pool and gambling, will know the gentleman I am referring to as "Al Goldman" !... While I’m sure my little tome will not be a 'runaway best seller', Al did have two sons and a daughter, all married with adult children now, and still very close to myself, and my entire family. They have gotten on with their lives, and don’t want, or need, to face any further exposure, as I re-tell a very difficult time in all our lives.

In my several years now in San Jose, I had developed a pretty loyal following and a good reputation, at least as good as a pool player can get. I first met Al Goldman when he opened a small pool room, the 'Circus Billiards' at 4th St. and Santa Clara, near downtown San Jose. It became my home room, and Al and I soon became close friends. Al was small in stature, with thinning, prematurely white hair. He was Jewish, which also helped make him a natural ‘money making’ machine. He taught me way more than I could absorb, but what I did, stood me in good stead the rest of my life.

Al possessed the most engaging personality of any one I have ever met, before or since. He was running a book at the pool room, taking action on the horses and sports. He obviously knew what he was doing, and with his gift of gab, and his personality, he soon built a very good daily handle. If anyone stopped in for cigarettes or a newspaper, whether they were gamblers, or not, Al would soon turn them into regular customers. I was in awe of his way with people, whatever their social status.

Most of you know, there are times when a bookie can get in serious trouble if he gets too heavy one way on something, and doesn’t lay it off. Al knew how to hold the limit on parleys and such, but he was a very gutsy gambler, and rarely laid off anything. Occasionally, I would see him take some pretty big hits. He’d just smile and pay the guy off. He had the most loyal customers, of any bookie I’ve ever seen. More often then not, they’d eventually dump it all back. Plus he had hundreds of $2 bettor's, which guaranteed him a good take, percentage wise.

Al had a lot of con about him, but he really knew how, and when, to use it. He was a gentleman gambler, and everybody liked and respected him. He often side bet on my games, and soon became my backer in serious money action. He showed a lot of heart and gamble, and rarely backed down from the toughest of match-up’s. Remember, those were the the days, when Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, a young Cole Dickson, Johnny Vevis, Jack Perkins, and a slew of other top player’s, had us down in their book, as ‘good action’...and we were ! They came from near and far, to take a shot at the kid, (now known as ‘San Jose Dick’), and the high rolling ‘bookie’. We didn’t always win, but Al was smart enough to avoid the "cheap shots". He'd get them off balance at times, and often got them to over bet their bankroll.

He also knew me well enough, to know when I was overmatched, and rarely let me get in spots, where I had to outrun the nuts to win, which, at times I was prone to do ! I will say this though, some of our larger scores, were made doing just that. Al would just shake his head and say, “You had such a bad game there, I almost bet against you” ! We rarely went off for ‘real’ big numbers. In the grand scheme of things, over the years, we probably won at least, $10, or $20, more than we lost. Al became a little less of a "money making machine" once he threw in with me. But there were enough good times, and good days, that he never complained.

Speaking of Ronnie Allen, now there was a first class story teller. He could keep everyone laughing when he told a story, even if you ‘knew’ he was pushing the limits of believability ! (aka, bullshitting) He was as close to a stand up comedian, as anyone could get. RA, Richie Florence, and I became pretty good friends, almost from our first meeting. Which by the way, was quite a bit different, than the version he told on his audio tapes, that he recorded a few years back, that most have heard.

> [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sR6OHQyZvE[/ame] <

My old frenemy and drinking buddy is gone now, and even though I could get him to admit his ‘memory lapse' (on the tape) in private, he never did confess publicly. I truly wish he were still around to review my factual account, but he ain’t. So heres my chance to set things straight, and I deserve to take it. He always knew that story pissed me off, and even though that was always his favorite pastime, I still miss him !

As far as I know, everything he said, up to about 2:40 on the tape, is true. Then it gets a little murky. In the first place, Richie and I never played any one pocket. He came in the joint, and challenged me to play some $50 9-ball. He must have been about 17 or 18, but he looked more like 14. So that would have made me about 27. He did give me a fit, and I got off 2-3 games loser, before my big edge in experience kicked in, and I eventually broke him. Secondly, RA’s version on the tape, of our first meeting, takes a real detour from reality.

When he and Richie came down to San Jose, from SF, RA never even mentioned 'one pocket' ! I challenged him to play some even 9 ball, and he accepted. (there was no $1000 a worth of anything) We kicked it off for $40 a game. I got a few games up, and he started ranting to play one pocket, or he was going to quit. At that time, I couldn’t even spell one pocket, so I declined and offered to play him some golf on the snooker table. I was fearless at golf, especially in my home court. I had no idea he played that game pretty well too, so I gave him the 1 hole and the break. It was a tough see-saw for a while, but with the advantage of my pet table, I eventually broke them..Total score, as I remember, was about $300. (plus a last game air barrel)

This is where RA’s story telling creativity, really goes wild. On the tape, he next talks about getting stopped for speeding, on the way home, and having to settle up on some old parking tickets. He really didn’t have to worry about pulling out any $100 bills before the judge, because all they had, was the $60 'walking stick' I had just given them !

On his second trip to SJ, he came alone, without Richie. We played golf again, and he fared no better that time ! Don’t get me wrong, once we began our ‘one pocket wars’, he brought some high powered stake horses, and Al and I, did stand some pretty good losses. The few balls he would give me at first, were not near enough. Maybe he was confused, about what happened, and when, cause there were a few times later on, where he might have had trouble finding small bills in his pocket, after one of our sessions. Like Ronnie says on the tapes, he always gambled with his friends, and so did I ! Except for my hiatus, RA and I played each other, ‘on sight’ for the next fifty years, I’m guessing well over a hundred different sessions, with all kinds of variations on the weight involved ! I’m sure he’s probably ahead of me overall, but hardly the 'large numbers' he always liked to claim. Unless of course you count the bites, and the always huge bar tabs I always got stuck for. (lol) The only place RA was quick with his cash, was the betting window at the track !

Getting back to Al and I. As time progressed, we became very close, and he became a mentor, and I guess somewhat of a father figure to me, even though he was only about twelve years older than me. He also, like me, enjoyed a cocktail or three, and we eventually became inseperable. As I said, we didn’t always win, but nobody could have had any more good times, win or lose, then we did.

Al had three teenage kids, two boys and a girl. Our wives and all our kids hit it off real well, and we spent a lot of time together on holidays and other outings. His daughter became our regular babysitter, and Al’s boys soon began calling me “uncle”. In fact, when our last son was born, around that time, we named him after Al's two boys, Steven Michael Mc Morran. The families grew even closer.

Al and I spent a lot of time at the bar next door to the Circus. I wish Ronnie, or Richie were still around, to verify what a ‘happening' place Lenny’s Bar was. It was only a few blocks from the San Jose State campus, and the female companionship options, were incomparable. In fact, at the risk of sounding like perverts, we bored a small peep-hole in, in the card room wall, so we could watch Lenny in his office, as he “interviewed” girls seeking employment as cocktail waitresses. Lenny was a full time ‘skirt chaser’. He had a standing ad, in the San Jose Mercury newspaper, for a Cocktail waitress, even though he rarely ever needed one. After each ‘interview’ (some of which Lenny got WAY past an 'interview') we would head next door to the bar, to give a thumbs up, or thumbs down, on the 'potential waitress' du joir !

Lenny, loved us. Al was always quick to ‘set ‘em up’ for his book customers. His (our) bar tab would hit some large numbers which we paid weekly. We often got Lenny involved in “ship, captain, and crew” dice games for our tab. Lenny was no dummy, we didn’t always win. Al knew how to work a dice cup, but Lenny was ‘off limits’ for any funny stuff ! In fact, Lenny would slip in Al’s ‘special cup’ for him, when he caught a live one the bar. Like I said, Al was a money making machine.

Al was partners in the Circus Billiards, with his brother-in-law Vince. Vince was a nice guy, but a real 'square apple' type, and quite out of place in a pool room environment. I soon found out why Al needed him in there. Al could not have gotten a license for an ice cream cart, in his own name.

to be continued.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

.......………………………………………...............Chapter Three…………………………………………….................

I’m sure things have changed somewhat nowadays, but at that time in San Jose, ('50s, '60s) a pool hall license was fairly costly. But with it, you were allowed up to 40 pool tables, a maximum of four “pay-off” pin ball machines, also punchboards and pull-tabs (the forerunner of lotto games) and two “sociable” card tables. The pin ball games were only a nickel, but they were progressive, and you could try for extra balls. Those four machines paid all the rent, and much of the utilities. It was a pleasure to constantly have to sweep up the $2 nickel wrappers. All you had to do, was be able to spot the ‘cheaters’, which was pretty easy ! The city/county fathers knew that of course, that was the reason a pool hall license, was close to that of a card room.

One of the motivating factors, for Al’s choosing that location to open the room was, there was large a large 12 story office bldg. just a block down the street, crammed full of doctor’s, dentist’s and lawyer’s. They’d stop in for cigarettes, or a paper, and in no time, with his winning ways, Al had over half the bldg. as regular betting customers, as well as a good portion of the downtown area. He had originally toyed with the idea of opening a card room, but in the time frame he had allotted, no license became available. So he did the next best thing in opening the pool room/smoke shop, which suited his needs just as well, with a smaller investment.

As much as Al confided in me, I think he did not want me to know “too” much. So please understand, much of what I know now, I did not know then. As we became closer, he told me in bits and pieces, that he was about as close to being in the “witness protection program” as anyone could get. The only difference being, that it was not the Fed’s covering for him, but some very “connected” people, back in NY, who wanted him out of town.

It seems that Al had done some hard time for standing up to the authorities, and not rolling over on some well "connected" people, who he was an eyewitness to committing at least one capitol crime. Al was no sooner was out on parole, when word came down he was about to be subpoenaed, in a new trial involving the same principles. Things were not looking good at all.

Those people showed their gratitude by getting Al out of town, and connecting him with the “right people” in San Jose…And yes, you had to be in with the right people, in order to run a book, “for very long” in California. Al once introduced me, to the “Big Man” in San Jose, and it was pretty obvious he loved "Short Al", as he was called back in his old Bronx neighborhood. Also, as Al was still on parole when he split from N.Y, he had to undergo a complete identity change. He had only been in SJ about a year before he opened the Circus, and we had only been friends since that time. It was amazing to watch how fast he made that place into a real successful operation.

At that point in time, I was not very politically involved. But that was about to change. I would hear Al grumbling about our newly appointed Attorney General, Robert F. Kennedy. He seemed to think that RFK and his brother the president, would create problems for the status quo as it existed in the underworld of prostitution, drugs, and gambling. His take on that subject turned out to be more true than even he could have imagined. RFK had spent his entire political career, engaged in a crusade to rid the country of crooked labor unions and organized crime. Many political scholars are quite sure that is what led to both he and JFK’s eventual demise.

All I know is that soon after RFK was appointed AG, word came down from the “Big Man” that the heat was on ! He was shutting down his operation until things cooled down, and he strongly advised, Al do the same. Al chose to ignore the warnings, and kept his regular betting clientel in action. Elaborate plans were put in place to conceal the betting action, and the trusted customers were given code names and some were allowed to call in bets to Al’s wife, at his home. It was about that time, that Vince became a little nervous, and wanted out ! Al, Vince and I struck a deal, and we bought Vince out, and my name was put on the license.

In the few years since Al had owned the place, I was a permanent fixture. So few even noticed the transition. I’d often relieved Vince or Al at the counter, and all the regular bettors knew me well. The new plan of action was this. The regular 'customers' were told not to do any hand to hand transfer of cash or betting slips. We used the coin return on the Coke machine, or one of the girly magazines in the rack as drop-off points. A simple nod from the customer and we would retrieve the wager from the spot after they had left. This method seemed to work okay for several months. Then, on Derby Day in May, 1962, we took a pretty big hit, and I don’t mean on the horses !

It turned out all our precautions were in vain. It seems for some time prior, we were under FBI surveillance from an empty building directly across the street. They had film of all our hiding places, and knew them better than we did. It still boggles the mind why such an elaborate FBI sting operation was set up, for such a small “Mom and Pop” booking operation.

Of course, when it hit the papers the headline read, “Huge Gambling Ring Busted by Fed’s” The story would go on to say, we were handling “hundreds of thousands” of dollars daily..(probably more like 2 or 3K) The math the Fed’s use for arriving at those figures is absolutely amazing. But I guess in light of the billions of dollars we spend these days, on the unwinnable “War on Drugs”, RFK and his ilk, thought we were a real threat to society, and should be eliminated regardless of cost.

Our waterloo unfolded like this. I had spent the Friday night, Saturday morning before, (as was my normal routine) in an all night pool session at Cochran’s in San Francisco. I was due back to relieve Al at the counter about 11am so He could concentrate on the Derby action..Obviously, cell phones were in the distant future so I did not know anything was wrong.

I pulled into the parking lot about 10am, and was surprised to see no cars at all. As I approached the front door, I saw the place was dark, and saw the “Crime Scene” notice on the door. Before it all could register, I was surrounded by cops and feds, some with guns drawn, put in cuffs, and placed under arrest. Another dangerous criminal and a real threat to society, had been apprehended. Lenny came outside the bar as I was being taken away. He winked and nodded at me, as if to say everything would be okay…It would be quite some time before things would be “okay”.

It seems as I was enroute home from S.F., at about 9am Saturday morning, the carefully orchestrated “major” crackdown occurred. They hit Al at the pool room, and at exactly the same time, entered both of our homes. They caught Al red-handed, retrieving cash and a few betting slips from the Coke machine. Typical government operation. No one on their team, was smart enough to realize, if they had waited a few hours, they would have had thousands more dollars to confiscate.

At Al's house, his wife Lucille was in church with two of the kids, and only the older boy was home. Sonny was a street smart kid and he knew his mom had left some betting slips by the phone. He tried to deny the cops access, but they had search warrants, and before Sonny could get to the phone, they forced their way in and cuffed him. He was 17 years old. One heartless bastard even drop-kicked the families tiny poodle, breaking a few ribs, as she was trying to protect him.

Meanwhile, at my house, my wife was at work, and my mother–in-law was minding the kids. Needless to say, she was terrified when the cops barged in, and started rummaging around the phone, and throughout rest of the house probably looking for me. Paula was never involved in any of Al or I’s activities, and as close as she was to Lucille, we had kept it from her that Lucille was taking action on their phone. Nothing incriminating was found at my place, and the cops eventually left my crying kids, curious neighbor’s, and my scared mother-in-law, after what I’m sure seemed to that nice, law-abiding lady, like a nightmare !

I was released almost at once, after Lenny posted a $1500 bond for me…Al was not so lucky. His cover was blown, and his real identity had been uncovered. His unlawful flight from N.Y. was the smallest hurdle he faced. The big one was, there is no statute of limitations involving witnesses, in a capitol offense trial. He was in a lot more trouble back there than he was in San Jose, and his bond was set at $100,000. A tough nut to crack in 1960 dollars.

The next few weeks were spent lining up more lawyers, and getting Al’s bail reduced to a manageable amount. We did not have enough equity in both our homes to float that large a bond, even with a little help from Lenny and Vince. After an eternity of court appearances, as a first offender, I got off with a stiff fine and the loss of my (our) license. Obviously, not so with Al. His past had really come back to haunt him. We eventually got him out on bail. But, it seems some new facts had surfaced in the case Al was involved in. The prosecution now had proof, that Al was a witness to at least one of the killings. Our lawyers were resigned to the fact that Al would be facing extradition to New York.

One evening, a few days before his sentencing, Sonny, him and I, met at Lenny’s for a few drinks. It was not a pleasant time. Al was very despondent. At one point he assured us, he was not going to do any more time ! I had taken a pretty good hit on my little world myself, and I guess I couldn’t find the words to console him, or even recognize his ominous tone. It was getting late, so he and Sonny went home. Lenny and I stayed there and got sloshed. In hindsight, I think Al may have had some new information, that his days as a free man, or being able to walk around without being a target, were indeed numbered.

Sonny told me later, that Al was at the kitchen table, surrounded by paperwork when he said goodnight to him. He remembers his dad saying, “Son, don’t ever be a ****ing gambler.”! Sonny was jarred awake next morning, by his mother’s screams. She had awoke early to find him sprawled, unresponsive on the kitchen floor. He had apparently made sure his insurance coverage was all in perfect order. Then he had taken a massive overdose of barbiturates, and washed it down with a fifth of Scotch..."Short Al" had breathed his last, long before the EMT’s arrived.

(to be continued.)

SJDinPHX

Suspended

………………………………………….....................Chapter Four........................………………………...................

Hang in there with me, as I’ve only covered about a third of my erratic life thus far. Believe it or not, I did have a life after San Jose. And, except for a few bumps in the road like everyone has, it has turned out to be a pretty good one. First, let me acknowledge a few people, who greatly impacted my 'new' lease on life. Then, I shall try and put the personal stuff on hold for a while, and spend the next few chapters telling a few of my more interesting experiences. (aka, war stories)

My Texas-Louisiana years, were some of the best times ever. I was lucky enough to meet, and acquire many lifelong friends, some of whom became irreplaceable. Charlie Brown in Houston, and Mike James in Shreveport, are two such people. How many people would give a leg up to a broken down pool hustler who had fallen on hard times. I was fresh from my life altering debacle in San Jose, and I was drinking and partying way to much, and also spending most of my sober hours being homesick and feeling sorry for myself. I doubt I would ever have made it without them, and we are still in touch all these years later. Charlie’s lovely wife, Dorothy passed away recently, just shortly before Kathy. They had become email buddies, and often compared notes on how their men (boys ?) could lead such a whacky, immature lifestyle.

Charlie Brown barely knew me, when he co-signed for some new wheels to replace my, old worn out 12 yr. old, (250,000 mi.) Buick. He and Dorothy, treated me like a wayward son. Charlie and I stayed in action almost full time. I got a little break when the owner of the LeCue, Don Siegel, began paying me (and Jersey Red) $125 a week, to play exclusively at the LeCue. Then I could tell Charlie, I had a 'full time' job like him !

Mike James took me into his home like a brother, knowing the chances of me getting any action in Shreveport (except maybe for Buddy Hall) were not good. We went on endless road trips, looking for action. Mike had two thriving businesses, and he sure didn’t need to be going anywhere. But, I guess he loved the action as much as I did.

So anyway, let me start with an Alfie style ‘ flash back’ (or maybe it’s a flash forward ?) As my Texas years were winding down, I somehow found myself in Phoenix, in the early 70’s. I had not been there in about 12 years, and had no idea who, or where, the action was. When I walked in the pool room, I saw only one familiar face from previous times. It was‘Dollar Jack’ Ryan, and soon as he spotted me, he gave me the ‘office’ to meet him outside.

Jack was a part time pool player. His main forte was hustling gin or poker, but he usually knew what was going on in town in any game. His immediate reaction to me, was as if he had found a genie lamp. He knew I could beat anyone in town at that time, and he set about telling me how ‘we’ could start with the weaker player’s and work our way up. We would be millionaires in no time at all.

I should have taken his first move as an omen. Our first victim was in a bar, about a mile from the pool room, and he filled me in on the way over there. We would go in together, and he said, a guy who he couldn’t beat, would hustle him to play. He said when he refused, the guy would ask me to play. Sure enough, thats what happened. Jack had assured me, the guy was a big go-off, and he was right about that. The only thing Jack forgot to tell me was, our ‘target’ was also the biggest, meanest, most unpredictable tush-hog, in Phoenix !

His name was Gary Brymer. Dollar Jack may have thought he was an OK guy because, in several tries, he had never beat him. In later years, Brymer took to wearing a pistol on his hip, and a Samurai sword slung across his shoulder, when he was out in public. Even that didn't save his sorry ass ! Anyway, we kicked it off for $10 a game, 9-ball. I soon got up several games, without ever having to show any real speed. It was a loose Valley bar table, and it seemed every time I rode the 9-ball, it went in. Except for a little muttering, about what a lucky pr**k I was, Brymer was not all that abusive. Eventually, ( after about $120) he ran out of cash, and tried to go on the wire. I told him I did not want to play that way. Then, when he got in my face for doubting his honorable intent, I knew I was probably in deep shit. I looked over to Jack for instructions/advice, only to see that he had vacated the premises.

Anyway Brymer began borrowing from anyone he could, (10 or 20 at a time) just to keep playing. It wasn’t hard to see where this was heading. Sure enough, as soon as he ran out of borrow, he eased up to me and said, “Listen, I know you’re a f**kin’ hustler, and you ARE going to let me go on the wire, and give me a chance to get even” He might as well have said; “You know you ain’t getting out of here with that money, don’t you” ? I said OK, and planned on going into a see-saw stall hoping the joint would close, or Jack might come back with some help ! Neither happened !

But Gary was now dogging it so bad, I couldn’t even force him to win a game ! I got up 3-4 games on the wire real quick. I took a piss break, and there was a phone in the hallway out of sight, and I called for a cab. Luckily, the timing was perfect. The cabbie came in looking for his fare. Aha, I had a witness. I grabbed the Cabbie's arm, and told Brymer to forget what he owed me. I threw a $20 on the bar to buy everyone a drink, and walked out with the cab driver. That was my first experience with Dollar Jack Ryan.

My second adventure with Jack, was even worse, but this time it wasn’t his fault. He was very apologetic about the Brymer incident, so he pleaded for another chance to make it up to me. It seems he knew of a guy named 'Indian Ben', who owned a bar, in Safford Az. I had actually heard of him too, and as Jack verified, he was a good score, and would play anyone. So, we pooled our skinny bankroll (about $600) and headed the 140 miles east to Safford. We got to his joint, early on a Friday afternoon. We played the ‘cloak and dagger’ game, because Jack had already taken another player there and beat Ben pretty good.

Jack went into another bar down the street, and I went into Ben’s place. I was playing a little $2 challenge 8 ball, when Jack walked in. I ignored him, but he called me into the john, and told me the bad news. He had found out, at the other bar, that Ben had just left on a two week hunting trip to Colorado... Perfect timing ! I ran out of $2 action before we even recovered gas money. All the challengers were muttering how they wished Ben was there, to teach me a lesson ! Ironic ?

So, cussing our luck we headed for home, and promptly encountered a snow storm. Just outside the busy mining town of Globe, we saw a night club, with hundreds of cars outside so we stopped in to see what was going on, in hopes the snow would let up.. The place was packed. We paid a small cover charge, and found out they were open all night. They had a band, and a dance floor in back, with three busy bar boxes up front by the bar. There was money flowing on two of the tables, so we sat down for a drink, and I put my quarter up to challenge the funsy table, to see what was going on.

I shall continue this story in the next chapter. Be aware, that most of my experiences were positive and I do have some very humorous stories to share. Its just that the awkward times, seem to be the easiest to recall, and I'll never forget this one. It is easily the most bizarre thing that EVER happened to me, in all my years of trying to separate people from their cash at pool.

(To be continued)

SJDinPHX

Suspended

......................................................................Chapter Five....................................................................

Moving right along, let me fill in a few blanks…Jack and I, were about the only people in that joint, whose skin was not brown. I only bring that point up, to emphasize the fact that “Homey type” mob pshycology, usually dominates those situations. Perhaps we should not have gotten as involved as we did, but pool players rarely use common sense !

In any event, the gambling tables soon quit playing 8 ball, and a four handed $3 ring 9 ball game broke out. Naturally I joined in. Very few of the guys in the game, could run more than a few balls, that is until a newcomer got in who could usually get out when he was supposed to ! They all seemed to know “Jose”, and one by one they dropped out, until there was just him and I left. It became obvious that Jose was their “hometown hero”, and Jack soon had his hands full, with side action. We were only playing for $5 (then $10) in the center, but we soon had an additional $30-40 worth of $5 bets, going on the side.

Certainly time to let the shaft out, as $50 9ball can go pretty fast, and was quite worthwhile. I soon wished Jose and I were only playing for a $1 in the center, as he ran out of money way before the rail did. He gave up after about an hour or so, when I began winning about 3 out of 4 games, consistently.

Jack and I were, (as usual) getting along fine with everyone, and keeping our bettors glasses full. I considered myself pretty schooled, at sensing hostility, and I felt none at all with this group. A little quick math, told me we were up about up about $4 or $500. After the game, Jose and I shot the breeze for a while, over a drink, and he seemed like a decent guy. He did not seem upset at all, and was very complimentary about my game. Anyway, after leaving the bartender a very nice tip, we said adios, and headed out the door.

The snow had shown no sign of letting up, and there was about 2” of fresh stuff on the ground. We were parked in the 2nd row of cars, and as I led the way between the first row, I heard a sound I did not want to hear…the chambering of a shell, into an automatic weapon. I turned in Jacks direction, and saw he already had his hands up in the air, and was screaming “Give ‘em the fu*king money” !!!
... As I had learned previously, Jack was NOT a particularly ballsy individual, in an awkward situation !

About that time, I got a pretty good rap on the head, from a gun butt, and I went down in the wet snow. It was not a real hard blow, but as I raised myself on one elbow, I found myself looking into the barrel of a large caliber pistol. The guy holding it, did not look to be more than 19 or20 yrs. old. That was scary, but in a very calm voice he told me the local miner's were on strike, and “These people cannot afford to lose this money, you must give it back.”

Made perfect sense to me, but I asked him, “You don't mean our money too, do you ?" Here is where this story departs from being just a ‘normal’ heist. He said “No, we just want the money you won” ! He began taking a rough poll, of the side bettors who were gathered around. (Jose, the player, was not present). Naturally, bettor #1 said “I lose $300” bettor #2, not to be outdone said, “I lose $400” and so on.

The kid asked me, “How much you guys win” ? Jack and I began carefully emptying our pockets. I was prepared to give them a pretty good count, and I was hoping Jack would do the same. I even let the kid know, that I was including my winnings from Jose. I came up with about $200, and Jack confessed to a little over $300 winner, after retaining our original bankroll.

This was actually a pretty accurate count, but the mob was not buying it, and they were ready to empty us out. (or worse) The amazing thing was, the control that young kid had over the entire proceedings. He told each of the side bettors individually, that he knew they did not lose anywhere near their claims. He proceeded to gather up our cash, out of the wet snow, stood up, and said, “OK you go now, and don’t come back” !...Music to our ears.

The kid began dispensing the money to the muttering side bettors, and we got in our car and drove off, without further incident..... Jack was so proud, down the road a little he confessed he had actually ‘short counted’ them out of about $50. I almost turned around, and took it back ! For years afterward, everytime Jack and I got together, we never forgot how lucky we were, given the absolute control the kid had over that mob ! He must have been the son of the baddest MFer in Globe. (or maybe Arizona) Or more likely, he had already made his own ‘bones’ !

(to be continued)

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Dick asked me to make these available on the main forum and organize them to make them easier to go from one to the next.

Great stories!

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Thanks for sharing your story SJD, so many people think pool is glamorous and everyone is a gentleman and it's easy to ride down the road and take "suckers" money.
Once in a great while it is, usually the first game is getting the money, after that starts the second game which is how to get away with the money.

Thanks , for not telling us what a wonderful human being you were, and how you only beat champions because they deserved it.
Great story.

Last edited: