J. Gray vs. S.V.B. 2012 D.C.C.

tsk7878

Verified Member
From
chicago,il
coming off the left side of the one, thinning the 12 leaving cueball on long rail opens every ball, no?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Gray did indeed 2-rail the 9 ball. If the 6 hadn't been in the way he would have made it.

gray's shot.jpg

He left it here for SVB. Not much point shooting a shot and leaving a direct path to the balls by your pocket.

gray's leave.jpg
gray's leave2.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The two rail shot off the 9ball is a very productive shot it moves a dangerous ball from your opponents side and could possibly position it where you put huge pressure on your opponent. This option will force the game to be played at a faster pace applying more pressure on your opponent.

The other option I like is Stroud's option of thining the 10ball and setting the table better for more ball running potential. This opfion will also leave your opponent in a position where you figure to get a reasonably good return shot off of his reply.:heh plus now you have the balls more open if you should happen to come up with a good shot.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
The two rail shot off the 9ball is a very productive shot it moves a dangerous ball from your opponents side and could possibly position it where you put huge pressure on your opponent. This option will force the game to be played at a faster pace applying more pressure on your opponent.

The other option I like is Stroud's option of thining the 10ball and setting the table better for more ball running potential. This opfion will also leave your opponent in a position where you figure to get a reasonably good return shot off of his reply.:heh plus now you have the balls more open if you should happen to come up with a good shot.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill, I respectfully wish to point out that even though what you say about the two rail shot on the nine is correct and that the other option helps set the table for ball running, these two options miss out on an opportunity to put an immediate end to the game with very little risk to Gray. Without that seven ball shot either of these options would be fine but having the shot on that seven ball supersedes these shots as good options.

IMO a top One Pocket player would pass on the two rail shot or the passive duck shot in favor of a shot like the bank on the seven back into the twelve. The cue ball takes a natural path to the side rail just ahead of the three and there by stopping in a safe zone. The fact that the seven can be made in a variety of ways should the shot be struck at all good adds to its appeal.

One may say that Gray got a bad roll in that he left a window to the six but that window had to be open from day one due to the fact that he had to draw the cue ball under the three so as to play safe. At this stage of the game I like SVB's chances of winning the game. He drives into the six and shoots the umbrella off the bottom of the ten. So many balls are heading towards SVB's pocket it's like someone left open the gates to the prison and the guards went on holiday.

Gray's shot seems to me to be more like the play of a nine ball player then that of a One Pocket player. I'd bet Ronnie Allen, Efren Reyes, Ed Kelley, Cornbread Red, Johnny Ervolino, or any other number of "One Pocket" players would not have passed up that seven ball bank. That shot was born to be shot!

Of course this is just my opinion but Gray missed a golden opportunity.

Tom

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I like that stroud shot also. A shot that can be executed with great control, and 100% of the time, while still putting your opponent in a very awkward spot.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Dr. Bill, I respectfully wish to point out that even though what you say about the two rail shot on the nine is correct and that the other option helps set the table for ball running, these two options miss out on an opportunity to put an immediate end to the game with very little risk to Gray. Without that seven ball shot either of these options would be fine but having the shot on that seven ball supersedes these shots as good options.

IMO a top One Pocket player would pass on the two rail shot or the passive duck shot in favor of a shot like the bank on the seven back into the twelve. The cue ball takes a natural path to the side rail just ahead of the three and there by stopping in a safe zone. The fact that the seven can be made in a variety of ways should the shot be struck at all good adds to its appeal.

One may say that Gray got a bad roll in that he left a window to the six but that window had to be open from day one due to the fact that he had to draw the cue ball under the three so as to play safe. At this stage of the game I like SVB's chances of winning the game. He drives into the six and shoots the umbrella off the bottom of the ten. So many balls are heading towards SVB's pocket it's like someone left open the gates to the prison and the guards went on holiday.

Gray's shot seems to me to be more like the play of a nine ball player then that of a One Pocket player. I'd bet Ronnie Allen, Efren Reyes, Ed Kelley, Cornbread Red, Johnny Ervolino, or any other number of "One Pocket" players would not have passed up that seven ball bank. That shot was born to be shot!

Of course this is just my opinion but Gray missed a golden opportunity.

Tom

Hi Tom, the 7 into the 12 sounds good but what happens if the 7 doesn't go in. Selling out the 3, 8, 2, all possible. The QB could also clip the 2 on the way out.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I still like the 2 rail on the 9 ball, but not trying to make it. I think Joey should have concentrated more on whitey. If you just put the 9 ball on your side and keep Shane shooting from his corner, it would be real tough.
All those blockers between the pockets made the 2 rail a good option.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Thanks for the diagram Dennis.

The beauty of this kind of shot is that it sets the stage for your next couple of innings.

SVB will need to hit a very good shot to get out of the trap. If he doesn't get the cue ball behind the 6 ball you have a lot of more aggressive shots available.

Bill S.

Minimize/maximize....nice shot Bill, Very controllable speed of shot, wall of balls.:heh

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Gray did indeed 2-rail the 9 ball. If the 6 hadn't been in the way he would have made it.

View attachment 8807

He left it here for SVB. Not much point shooting a shot and leaving a direct path to the balls by your pocket.

View attachment 8808
View attachment 8809

well ... got another one wrong :)

the nine would be a good shot had he left his CB down another diamond

I've also been known to select a shot then look at no other, tunnel vision I guess

example - opponent leaves a straight in shot at my hole but I don't see it :eek: :eek: all I see is playing safe ... then after the shot my opponent starts laughing and points the mistake I just made. sure others have did this but ... have to admit this has happened more than once :)

still like being super aggressive with the 7 into the 12. fairly certain I could hit the 3 square and come out safe if the 7 doesn't go

thx again Dennis

Billy <---- still learning

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Gray's shot on the 9 ball was a wasted opportunity at the table. He gave up table position and accomplished nothing, and no, I have not watched SVB's reply shot.

Dennis

bstroud

Verified Member
Joey is not really a one pocket player. I have played with him some.

He is more like SVB in that he executes whatever he attempts to do very well.

He hit the 2 rail very well but I don't think he realized how difficult it was to get the 9 ball close and also draw the cue ball to a safe position.

I make the same mistake all the time. You are dealing with two different speeds and it is difficult to get both of them perfect.

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Joey is not really a one pocket player. I have played with him some.

He is more like SVB in that he executes whatever he attempts to do very well.

He hit the 2 rail very well but I don't think he realized how difficult it was to get the 9 ball close and also draw the cue ball to a safe position.

I make the same mistake all the time. You are dealing with two different speeds and it is difficult to get both of them perfect.

Bill S.

Just manage to get Whitey where you want, the other will take care of it's self.
Rod.