banking the ball backwards

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
To Freddie, thanks for the above...

I tried the shot on my table about like Buggs had it in the video, about 2" off the rail directly opposite the 2nd diamond, and shot it with outside. I made it twice, overcut it once, and hit it bad a bunch of times. Anyway, on the attempts where it went, the CB went around 3 rails and scratched in the same pocket once, and the other time came within one inch of scratching.

When Buggs and other high level guys went for this shot, would they come close to scratching? Is it a shot you only go for if other balls are near your hole? Or am I missing something to make the scratch not so big?

Thank you.

Rich; Try using INSIDE English, NO scratch! SEE my video, I froze the OB 2.5 diamonds up, makes it a little tougher!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nice shooting bill
just to be clear
why do you prefer inside english??
to you is that easier than outside??
i assume you could do it either way??
thanks for the reply
larry

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
nice shooting bill
just to be clear
why do you prefer inside english??
to you is that easier than outside??
i assume you could do it either way??
thanks for the reply
larry

Hey Larry; One reason is, it's MUCH easier to AIM at the OB. In billiards and pool, I AIM the CUE TIP at the OB or cushion if I'm contacting that first! Also, the slight deflection from INSIDE helps cut the OB thinner, along with a SHORT follow-thru!

IMHO, When the OB is frozen to the cushion, the OUTSIDE English has LITTLE or NO effect as far as THROWING the OB at this EXTREME angle! If the OB is NOT on the cushion, then OUTSIDE may work better, (the OB has time to throw to the cushion)

With the FROZEN OB, the shot is MORE difficult with OUTSIDE.
IMHO!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
In my experience on a thin bank like this the ball travels further with outside rather than with inside. This helps the ball get all the way to the hole if you hit it good.

Dudley

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
To Freddie, thanks for the above...

I tried the shot on my table about like Buggs had it in the video, about 2" off the rail directly opposite the 2nd diamond, and shot it with outside. I made it twice, overcut it once, and hit it bad a bunch of times. Anyway, on the attempts where it went, the CB went around 3 rails and scratched in the same pocket once, and the other time came within one inch of scratching.

When Buggs and other high level guys went for this shot, would they come close to scratching? Is it a shot you only go for if other balls are near your hole? Or am I missing something to make the scratch not so big?

Thank you.

Whenever I left Bugs this shot, I always (at first) thought that he would scratch or even sell out a cross corner, but he would always hit it so good that that never happened. To beat the 3 in the corner scratch, just hit the cue ball very low with the applied english and that will shorten the angle and stop the scratch.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
In my experience on a thin bank like this the ball travels further with outside rather than with inside. This helps the ball get all the way to the hole if you hit it good.

Dudley

Hey Dud,I'm pretty sure I tried to say the same thing back there somewhere:lol Just seems to have fell on alot of deaf ears.:p

Maybe me and ole Efrem are alot alike.We just get lucky:D

The cue ball doesn't know or care how long or short your follow through is.

Grady was over heard saying that..drum rolls.. he thought I was the best to EVER play the game of bankpool. I hated to say this ( not really:rolleyes:) but thought I would just throw this little tidbit of info in here.:lol Carry on.. all you real bank champions:rolleyes: lmao:heh John B.

piggybank04

Verified Member
i shoot the first shot all the time not that tough, and the cb goes 3 rails for protection--i do use kind of a short punch stroke for this, and it works well......

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
i shoot the first shot all the time not that tough, and the cb goes 3 rails for protection--i do use kind of a short punch stroke for this, and it works well......

Piggy; SHISSSSSSHHH, Don't give away that BIG secret about the short stroke> You don't want them to be Better, "Champion's" than they already are!

Nah, go ahead, they won't believe it anyway!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

John Brumback

Verified Member
I don't mean to sound rude, But ya'll can call it ego,cocky,proud,a jerk or whatever else you can think of but I'm trying to help the pool players here when it comes to banks.I've already sold or gave,( yes gave) most everyone here that would have bought any of my dvds so that aint what I'm going for,just for the record.That's just how I roll.

I know banks,and If someone gives out what I think is false info ( or not the best way),I will stand up and say so.( but I'm still learning and If someone proves me wrong,I will stand up and say that,darn,I was wrong about that)But untill that happens...... Fred keeps saying the same things too!!!! Me and Fred hardly ever disagree when it comes to banks!!!! Fred knows what he's talking about too !!! Just think how many times he has played Buggs:eek:

PS: for proof of how much I know about banks, just go take a look or ask just about anyone in the pool world and see who has won just about every bank tourney there has been in the last 25 years. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I have won every single fullrack bank tourney there has been in the USA
except the first one I played in when I was like 18 or 19. Every single one that I have played in!... which was most of them:lol

Signed... John Brumback

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Banking Champions

Banking Champions

Hey John ,I agree with you and Freddy a 100% You both are Banking Champions. Also you don't keep secrets, you both try and help the younger players. Your opinions are well respected in the POOL WORLD. Keep up the good work and always give your opinions on Bank Shots. Thanks again, Your Fan for life Fast Eddie F.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
IMHO, "Eddie Taylor" and "Bugs" were the BEST I've ever seen for the CASH, GAMBLING! I'm NOT talking about tournaments or "Wild West" banks, with NO scratches.

BTW, Dr. Bill forgot to mention a few more players that should be on that list. Johnny "Cannonball" Chapman, Javanly "Young Blood" Washington, Donny Anderson, Mexican Johnny, (in his prime), "Black Howard" from Chicago, just to name a few!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. To JB, I'm just curious, did you play, gamble and beat any of the TOP players in Chicago in the last 25 years?

P.P.S. John, could you please post a video of you shooting the shot CB diagramed with the OB frozen to the 3rd diamond on long cushion.
I think ALL the members would like to see it made correctly.

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Good observation.

Beard

Hey Dud,I'm pretty sure I tried to say the same thing back there somewhere:lol Just seems to have fell on alot of deaf ears.:p

Grady was over heard saying that..drum rolls.. he thought I was the best to EVER play the game of bankpool. I hated to say this ( not really:rolleyes:) but thought I would just throw this little tidbit of info in here.:lol Carry on.. all you real bank champions:rolleyes: lmao:heh John B.

Thanks John and Fred...

I appreciate the feed back. :)

I have learned tons about banking from your dvds (and books) and posts here. There are simple little subtleties that are almost impossible to understand without correct information.

Dudley

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
IMHO, "Eddie Taylor" and "Bugs" were the BEST I've ever seen for the CASH, GAMBLING! I'm NOT talking about tournaments or "Wild West" banks, with NO scratches.

BTW, Dr. Bill forgot to mention a few more players that should be on that list. Johnny "Cannonball" Chapman, Javanly "Young Blood" Washington, Donny Anderson, Mexican Johnny, (in his prime), "Black Howard" from Chicago, just to name a few!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. To JB, I'm just curious, did you play, gamble and beat any of the TOP players in Chicago in the last 25 years?

P.P.S. John, could you please post a video of you shooting the shot CB diagramed with the OB frozen to the 3rd diamond on long cushion.

I robbed Black Howard when I was about 19,the day before my first fullrack bank tourney,I think It was at a Place called chris billiards. Funny thing about playin him...we started at 50 a rack I won that one, he bumped to it 100,I won that one,he bumped it to 200 and I won two more in a row and he had enough:lol I had a great time playing with him,too!

Sorry Mr. Bill, I don't know how to do anything like that. I might try to get my son to help me. It will have to be after I get back from the TSC.Thanks,for the request. John B.

PS: I think winning BIG tourneys count for more than just playin some guy heads up.You got to beat a bunch of good players not just one:eek: Some of the sets I play for at the end of the big tourney are for alot of money too:lol.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Regarding that thin backwards cut bank. We've talked a lot about inside and outside but what about a center ball hit on the cue ball? I find that on this shot my aim is much better with no English. Will there be a big enough difference for me to change to inside or outside?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Regarding that thin backwards cut bank. We've talked a lot about inside and outside but what about a center ball hit on the cue ball? I find that on this shot my aim is much better with no English. Will there be a big enough difference for me to change to inside or outside?

I think that's a great question! To me, it depends on what I have to do with the cball. However if I just had to shoot that same shot to see how manys times I can make it,say out of ten times,I will be using outside spin,no question.Center cue ball and you might hit someone across the room:p

PS: That phrase Fred mentioned about someone calling it "twirl" sp? it in,I think is a great description for that shot. To hit the shot as good as say Buggs,you do have to be able to apply some serious spin ( you don't have to, but it sure helps).Seems alot of folks I work with have a hard time getting alot of spin on some shots like this:confused: It's almost some kind of swipe,which is hard to teach:eek::lol John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

What's "no scratches" mean?? I grew up playing with some of the best bank players in the world and yes for some serious dough and the way we played was ,if you scratch you owed a ball and we even played sleepers:lol It was dog eat dog. Gary Spaeth,Donnie Anderson,Only two of the best to ever swing a cue:eek: I played Donnie for a dime a game.Wasn't that guy called tough Tony a good player? He came through here and we played banks on a bar table and he didn't win one game. I think Buggs was past his prime when I thought about tryin him some.I had a couple slugs out of his bottle with him though.I didn't back down after I learned how to play.I had and still got plenty of backers. After I got married and had a son,I wouldn't or couldn't put up much of my own $ if any. But I feel like I've been playin for my life most of my life.Well that's my life story:lol John B.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
What's "no scratches" mean?? I grew up playing with some of the best bank players in the world and yes for some serious dough and the way we played was ,if you scratch you owed a ball and we even played sleepers:lol It was dog eat dog. Gary Spaeth,Donnie Anderson,Only two of the best to ever swing a cue:eek: I played Donnie for a dime a game.Wasn't that guy called tough Tony a good player? He came through here and we played banks on a bar table and he didn't win one game. I think Buggs was past his prime when I thought about tryin him some.I had a couple slugs out of his bottle with him though.I didn't back down after I learned how to play.I had and still got plenty of backers. After I got married and had a son,I wouldn't or couldn't put up much of my own $ if any. But I feel like I've been playin for my life most of my life.Well that's my life story:lol John B.

On the, "Southside" of Chicago, some the fella's over there played, "Wild West" banks, you DON"T loose a ball if you scratch or foul!

John, there's NO doubt that you are one of the BEST players, I just have my opinion of the, "pecking order", that's all!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

John Brumback

Verified Member
On the, "Southside" of Chicago, some the fella's over there played, "Wild West" banks, you DON"T loose a ball if you scratch or foul!

John, there's NO doubt that you are one of the BEST players, I just have my opinion of the, "pecking order", that's all!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Ok Bill,my ego gets the best of me alot of times:frus:sorry.No hard feelings on my end and I try listen to what you have to say. And I apprecaite your time that it takes putting up vids and the wwyd things:) John B.

PS: I've never heard it called wild west banks.I'll try to remember that one next time I'm out tryin to hustle some ole hillbillys:lol.

PPS: I got a little smack on the wrist from someone in a pm:eek:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

CFB,

And you were doing so well too. How anyone could leave this statement unchallenged for almost 12 hours is beyond me. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen written anywhere. The cueball absolutely knows & cares how long (or short) your follow-through is. Ridiculous to say otherwise.

RBL