banking the ball backwards

Don Smith

Verified Member
Fred,

Did you ever hear of using inside English to cause a "squirt effect" to make a bank?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Since I have had the pleasure of him shooting this shot on me with impunity, I can for sure tell you that he uses extreme outside on these shots. Does anyone remember when I posted in that thread with a ball on the spot and the cue ball in the back pocket, when I said that bumping the ob ball over to the long rail and letting the cue ball fall to the short rail was a stiff against top bankers like
Bugs because they will turn the ball back into the pocket.

Beard

I think Buggs just misspoke and they put the graphics on backwards. They probably did the graphics and voiceover later, and maybe he just got it backwards because he was seeing the shot from the other side.

If you use the J K L keys on the youtube video, you can advance the video frame by frame. You can see during the shot that the stick and his bridge deflects away from us towards the top of the screen, indicating he hit it outside, not inside. You can also see that the CB blocks the view of the tip. The "round" of the CB is in front of the tip, indicating he was hitting the opposite side (outside) of the CB.

freddy
noone was doubting what you said AND YOU WERE RIGHT
and the video confirms it if you watch it frame by frame
:)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Apparently I must have been talking to myself when I said that I didnt need to view a video of Bugs shooting that shot to determine what english he uses. the fact that I have played him 100 times and have had him shoot that shot on me a zillion times should have some validity in itself.

Has that "new" member Mc the Mick besmirched my reputation to the point where one cant take my word for anything?
I really dont mean to be paranoid, and I am not taking it out on you, but i am venting.

And finally, I shoot the shot real good myself.

Beard

You're correct Fred. I too have played Bugs many many times, and also have watched him play many times. When he shoots this shot he has always used outside (turning) english. Actually as I was playing him I would be very conscious of not leaving him this shot, in fear of him turning it in on me. No one shoots this shot like Bugs, he transfers more side spin (with his wrist) than any player I have ever seen playing bank pool, any player.

Bugs was the best banker that I ever seen play, never watched Taylor play, just heard great things about his banking skills from the worlds greatest players.

If I had to rank the worlds top 5 greatest bank pool players it would be Taylor (from stories heard) Bugs...then there would be a log jam with Brumback..Fargo...and Spaeth. Just my opinion. :frus Maybe i'm partial to players from my era, maybe, however, they are all great champions.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
You're correct Fred. I too have played Bugs many many times, and also have watched him play many times. When he shoots this shot he has always used outside (turning) english. Actually as I was playing him I would be very conscious of not leaving him this shot, in fear of him turning it in on me. No one shoots this shot like Bugs, he transfers more side spin (with his wrist) than any player I have ever seen playing bank pool, any player.

Bugs was the best banker that I ever seen play, never watched Taylor play, just heard great things about his banking skills from the worlds greatest players.

If I had to rank the worlds top 5 greatest bank pool players it would be Taylor (from stories heard) Bugs...then their would be a log jam with Brumback..Fargo...and Spaeth. Just my opinion. :frus Maybe i'm partial to players from my era, maybe, however, they are all great champions.

Dr. Bill

Billy; You must be feeling a little bored today! ;)

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion
"

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fred,

Did you ever hear of using inside English to cause a "squirt effect" to make a bank?

I dont really know what you mean by "squirt effect," other than inside sometimes acts in an opposite manner and makes a bank run long rather than short. And yes it can do that. I have been hinting at this effect and its many variations on the forum for a few months, but havent received any bites. Only from a few members that I have personally worked with.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy; You must be feeling a little bored today! ;)

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion
"

Billy, i'm bored just about every day until I leave the house, then I have a zillion things that needs to be done. "Zillion" stole that word from Freddie. I see you're posting much more now a days whats up with that? Any ways your stirring up some interest with your threads, which is a good thing for us, keep up the work.

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
freddy
noone was doubting what you said AND YOU WERE RIGHT
and the video confirms it if you watch it frame by frame
:)

The point I was trying to make Lar, is that why would you want to study a video (where Bugs makes a misstatement anyway, says left when it was right) when you have people like Cardone and I who have had Bugs put that shot on our ass many, many times.

And like Cardone, I got to the point where I was very conscious to try and not leave the friggin thing.

(In the beginning I said to myself, "I'm gonna keep leaving this, and lets see if you can keep hitting it perfectly," after he executed it easily a million in a row, I finally gave in and said, "Okay, you win, no more of that shot. Lets try something else."

Beard

bstroud

Verified Member
Freddy,

You probably remember Poncho shooting the shot I mentioned.

I think he bet on 20 attempts.

I remember him using Outside English.

He sure could spin the ball.

Bill S.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy,

You probably remember Poncho shooting the shot I mentioned.

I think he bet on 20 attempts.

I remember him using Outside English.

He sure could spin the ball.

Bill S.

Pancho didnt call it spin Bill, he called it "twirl." He'd say, "I made that with 2 tips of twirl."

Beard

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Billy, i'm bored just about every day until I leave the house, then I have a zillion things that needs to be done. "Zillion" stole that word from Freddie. I see you're posting much more now a days whats up with that? Any ways your stirring up some interest with your threads, which is a good thing for us, keep up the work.

Dr. Bill

I started posting because I thought it was FINALLY safe to give info with out the fear of, "pigeon" droppings all over them.

I guess all you have to do is, load up another persona and you good to go, and dump!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
The point I was trying to make Lar, is that why would you want to study a video (where Bugs makes a misstatement anyway, says left when it was right) when you have people like Cardone and I who have had Bugs put that shot on our ass many, many times.

And like Cardone, I got to the point where I was very conscious to try and not leave the friggin thing.

(In the beginning I said to myself, "I'm gonna keep leaving this, and lets see if you can keep hitting it perfectly," after he executed it easily a million in a row, I finally gave in and said, "Okay, you win, no more of that shot. Lets try something else."

Beard

I wasn't trying to prove or disprove you. He obviously misspoke in the video, and the graphics guys went with what he said. What is wrong with showing that in the video?. If anything, it substantiates what you said. I really wasn't trying to start anything, sorry if you took it that way.

I know something is going on with a few of the members here, but I plead ignorance. I only venture here once in a while, and i know everyone is mad at everyone else, but not sure how many sides there are and who are friends and who are not. So I wasn't put up by anyone or influenced in any way.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I wasn't trying to prove or disprove you. He obviously misspoke in the video, and the graphics guys went with what he said. What is wrong with showing that in the video?. If anything, it substantiates what you said. I really wasn't trying to start anything, sorry if you took it that way.

I know something is going on with a few of the members here, but I plead ignorance. I only venture here once in a while, and i know everyone is mad at everyone else, but not sure how many sides there are and who are friends and who are not. So I wasn't put up by anyone or influenced in any way.

I didn't mean for you to take it that way. It was my fault. I was using you (unfairly to be sure) to vent a gripe that I had with others. I know you from AZ. You and I have zero problems, and I would like it to stay that way. But as you may have noticed we do get a little nippy on here once in a while.

Beard

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
In went to the billiard room today, here in Fl. it's very humid and warm.

The tables were soaking wet and the balls were sticking really bad, but, I shot the backwards across corner bank shot several times. I set the OB frozen on the long cushion at 2.5 diamonds and the CB in line with the corner pocket.

It was tough today, I did make it 4 or 5 times, out of about 20 attempts! When it did go, it was SWEET! I did NOT make it when I videoed it, :sorry but, I did come VERY close! The issue was, when I hit it GOOD, the OB didn't get to the pocket with enough speed, TOO wet today!

Here's the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsZqyNRKBw[/ame]

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Nice shots. Looks like you used inside on all of the shots. Some were hit right on the button but not enough speed, I guess due to the dampness like you said.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
If you listen carefully to people you will notice that it is not infrequent that people will mistake right for left and vice versa. If you question or correct them they usually quickly abandon their call (either right or left) and reverse it. This has led me to believe that many people do not know the difference and like illiteracy have masked it their entire lives.

You know what's really whacked? People taking offense at others discussing the video that Larry posted and all of us having fun doing it in a nice manner (even CFB:p) but nobody took umbrage at it being suggested that Bugs was illiterate, unless of course he was.

Really whacked.

Dennis

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Nice shots. Looks like you used inside on all of the shots. Some were hit right on the button but not enough speed, I guess due to the dampness like you said.

Yeh Frank, ALL with INSIDE. Like I said, the tables were TOO DAMP for this shot for me today!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bill, you were hitting that shot very nicely! I like inside on that shot as well. I couldn't tell-- were you freezing the OB on the rail, or slightly off?

Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
Bill,

Thanks for taking a look at that shot.

I set up the same shot but at the third diamond. Shot it a few times. Came very close to making it. Once I even over cut it so that it was going toward the end rail. All with inside English.

Went on to my regular practice.

I am in a very dry climate so I think it is easier even on a Diamond.

Bill S.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
To Freddie, thanks for the above...

I tried the shot on my table about like Buggs had it in the video, about 2" off the rail directly opposite the 2nd diamond, and shot it with outside. I made it twice, overcut it once, and hit it bad a bunch of times. Anyway, on the attempts where it went, the CB went around 3 rails and scratched in the same pocket once, and the other time came within one inch of scratching.

When Buggs and other high level guys went for this shot, would they come close to scratching? Is it a shot you only go for if other balls are near your hole? Or am I missing something to make the scratch not so big?

Thank you.