Alex v. Scott: The Good, the Bad, and the ...

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I haven't read that book but suspect you're speaking of The Broken Window Theory that Giuliani implemented in NYC back in the 90's. As it applies to pool, I agree.

In a nutshell the theory is that small things -- like broken windows in a neighborhood -- sends the message that the community has a lack of informal social control. It's not the actual broken window that's important, but the message people receive from the broken window. Groups that have a strong sense of cohesion will fix broken windows and assert social responsibility.

Small things, like how we dress, sends signals too as to what we, as a group, are willing to put up with, the type of behavior we'll tolerate, and whether we're willing to police ourselves.

I guess right about now we're willing to put up with just about anything, will tolerate just about anything, and have zero will to police ourselves.

Lou Figueroa

Yep Guliani, and your way of reiterating what I said, expressed my thoughts allot clearer and with....heck you just write better. But the tipping point comes up, like the gal in India gang/raped/killed on that bus, that was a tipping point. Gabby Gifford another.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
So all that concern in the billiard magazines about pool's image, about making pool acceptable, about trying to make pool an Olympic sport, about cleaning up pool for ESPN, about attracting sponsors did not happen because you say it did not happen? Can't you just admit that your well known contrarian proclivities are clouding your reason? And the "so what about T.S. Eliot" was to contrast your inability to understand simple metaphor. It's amazing that someone like you who has such insight at the gambling and tournament level of pool can be so clueless about other levels of the pool scene.

...vague assertions and arguments, squadoush to support them, and no first hand knowledge of anything. It's not much of a discussion if you're just going to flail your arms around in the air.

At this point it's pretty obvious that further exchanges with you would be fruitless.

Lou Figueroa
sometimes the better man
just has to walk away ;-)

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
...vague assertions and arguments...

At this point it's pretty obvious that further exchanges with you would be fruitless.

Lou Figueroa
sometimes the better man
just has to walk away ;-)

Vague assertions? What's vague about the pool industry's concern about cleaning up its image to attract sponsors and to be accepted as an Olympic sport? Your reference that your background is in public relations might explain it -PR people often are often clueless about real marketing. You've got to admit that it is ironic that someone like you with a long history of contrarian rants and ad hominem attacks on the pool forums would have a PR background. :D

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Tell me I did not hear ...

Tell me I did not hear ...

.... dressing for ESPN.

*&#^ ESPN. The Cretin organization will suck the blood out of whatever they lay hands upon.

" Well folks, we are back from commercial break and the score is now 4-2 with three racks having been played in the interim; here are the three great shots you missed " [show three 9 balls being made .... 6 seconds]. Implicit is that you do not wish to see all thet boring shootin' at balls 'n playin' safe and stuff .... you want excitement .... ! ... and they will give you what they think you want even if it destroys the sport in the process.

I have seen cranksters with more class than ESPN.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Looks like somebody's finally heeded my advice to market the dramatic and controversial side of pool. :D Last night in Los Angeles at Hardtimes Billiards a reality TV show film crew showed up with Shannon Daulton and Corey Duel and filmed some one pocket gambling action between Hawaiian Jimmy and Kentucky Jim. Fatboy and Kentucky did a lot of loud woofing on camera.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Looks like somebody's finally heeded my advice to market the dramatic and controversial side of pool. :D Last night in Los Angeles at Hardtimes Billiards a reality TV show film crew showed up with Shannon Daulton and Corey Duel and filmed some one pocket gambling action between Hawaiian Jimmy and Kentucky Jim. Fatboy and Kentucky did a lot of loud woofing on camera.

demon...

this is intriguing. have any idea who the film crew is associated with? network or independents? properly done showing/illustrating the nuiances and brilliance of the game, highlighting some cool shots, casting a favorable light on some of the main sticks/characters out there, this could be great (think Deadliest Catch), improperly done (think Honey Boo Boo, Lizard Lick Towing, etc...) could be the proverbial nail....

tylerdurden

Verified Member
demon...

this is intriguing. have any idea who the film crew is associated with? network or independents? properly done showing/illustrating the nuiances and brilliance of the game, highlighting some cool shots, casting a favorable light on some of the main sticks/characters out there, this could be great (think Deadliest Catch), improperly done (think Honey Boo Boo, Lizard Lick Towing, etc...) could be the proverbial nail....

It sounds very cool to me. I had front row seats watching that very type of stuff in that poolhall for 10 years, and it was no doubt entertaining. In fact, I used to tell some non-poolplaying buds what went on sometimes, and they were totally intrigued. I think it is viable.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
demon...

this is intriguing. have any idea who the film crew is associated with? ....

No. A couple of friends texted me while it was going on. I was over on the West Side at the time watching One Pocket Rich playing Justin Hall. Fatboy is the one who would know who the producers are.