Is That 526 Table Still Around? (Mosconi!)

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
If so, it might be interesting to see some of today’s players take a same-table attempt at that legendary run.

My crack research team delved deeply into the history books (okay, I lifted this from Wikipedia):

526 high run
Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954. To this day the record has not been toppled and many speculate it may never be bested.[10][11] A handwritten and notarized affidavit[12] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat.

The record was set on a 4*×*8*foot Brunswick table with 5*1/4*inch corner pockets at the East High Billiard Club. Today's standard for tables may be considered more difficult to play on than this exhibition table in the sense that longer shots are required (today's standard tables are 9*x*4*1/2*ft) with 4*1/2 to 4*3/4*inch pockets, but today's tables may be considered easier to play on in the sense that there is more room for the balls to spread, creating unfettered shots. Mosconi competed successfully on 4*1/2*×*9 and 5*x*10*ft tables. The 526-ball record just happened to be on a 4*×*8*ft table, a size seldom used in professional play, but used for the billiard club exhibition that day. In fact, the room owner expected the exhibition to take place on the room's 9 foot table.[citation needed] That table was not a Brunswick, so Willie was required to play on one of the Brunswick 8 foot tables.[citation needed]
[edit]

Now, I realize it’s probably a long shot that that particular Ohio table is extant.

But I would imagine that a similar, commodiously-pocketed Brunswick 8-foot table could be found?

So -- putting on my stream-producer / events-director caps -- I (and by ‘I’ I mean some corporate entity totally unrelated to me) would consider inviting Jasmin and four other top straight pool players.

To earn the right to compete, I’d have each team put up, say, $10,000. (That’s pocket change to most billiards competitors, no?)

Then each player, one turn at a time, would have three chances to make the longest run possible. Winner takes home the cheese. Special $100,000 bonus for besting the record. Hey, as long as it’s OPM, I can afford to be lavish!

Of course, protecting my own bottom line, I’d go PPV (or I’d auction the broadcast rights to some mythical company suddenly fascinated by pool). And sell DVDs. And audience admittance tickets. And tees, signed posters, etc.

Announcers? Hmm … we’d need to think about that one. So much talent out there.

Is it likely that any sane executive would take this project on? Of course not! Still, wouldn’t it be absorbing …

Dreaming the improbable dream is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Who would the other four players be? John Schmidt? Niels*? Are Europeans better straight-poolers than Americans? Filipinos? I would love to include Efren. If he felt he would be competitive.

* Shouldn’t there be a rule -- make that a law -- that married boys have to wear wedding bands? Just a false-advertising observation!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
The rest of the story

The rest of the story

My friends in Dayton have told me this back-story. Mosconi had prepared himself to play the legendary world beater George Ruud. He respected George's game like no other as he had played him and lost to him (an experience he shared with almost every champion of that time). When he got to Dayton he learned that George was out of town for a couple of weeks and so he continued on to Springfield (a mere 30 miles away) where he set his record.