Player sponsorship to Derby City

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bernie is another player that would well represent us, if he is up for going this year.

Deeman likes Banks too I think... whereas Bernie it would be One Pocket.

bernie p

Verified Member
Bernie is another player that would well represent us, if he is up for going this year.

Deeman likes Banks too I think... whereas Bernie it would be One Pocket.

Steve,

I appreciate the nomination. I am planning on attending and typically just play in the One Pocket event only.

I don't have as much time as I used to, to post on here, and feel the sponsorship should go to someone who contributes on a regular basis, but I would be honored to represent OnePocket.org if the opportunity arose.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks Pel!

I appreciate my name being mentioned but I support others this year. I going to repeat my suggestion of Deeman for Banks and Bernie P for One Pocket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We could not have a better representative in the one-pocket event than Bernie P. He's not only one of the top players, but his demeanor and good sportsmanship are unsurpassed.

Doc

bernie p

Verified Member
We could not have a better representative in the one-pocket event than Bernie P. He's not only one of the top players, but his demeanor and good sportsmanship are unsurpassed.

Doc

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the compliments.

I would gladly accept if the nomination came my way.

Hope to see you at Derby.

Cheers. Bernie.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve
ill donate annonymously ro 1p.org for whomever you(1p.org) select
:)

Last edited:

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I am with Steve in this. I think Deeman for banks and Bernie for one-pocket would get my vote.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't believe that we've established any particular criteria for selection for these two honors. If there are no other qualifications besides popularity, then that's fine. But if we have any standards like we do with the HOF, we all ought to be aware of them.;)

Doc

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Just My Two Cents

Just My Two Cents

I still feel the best way to have a person or 2 people represent this site is by having a raffle, like was done 2 years ago when Deeman won. It does a couple of things: first all verified members are eligile to particate and possibly win. Why limit who goes simply because they are real good players? Just as anyone can buy their way into the event we should let anyone of our members have a chance to win thru the raffle. Of course, just like Deeman did, the winner could choose another member to go in his place.

I would also recommend the raffle tickets cost a certain amount of money and that money be given to Steve to improve the quality of the site or to go to the maintaince and upkeep of the site. Keith

THood

From
Westford, MA
I still feel the best way to have a person or 2 people represent this site is by having a raffle, like was done 2 years ago when Deeman won. It does a couple of things: first all verified members are eligile to particate and possibly win. Why limit who goes simply because they are real good players? Just as anyone can buy their way into the event we should let anyone of our members have a chance to win thru the raffle. Of course, just like Deeman did, the winner could choose another member to go in his place.

I would also recommend the raffle tickets cost a certain amount of money and that money be given to Steve to improve the quality of the site or to go to the maintaince and upkeep of the site. Keith

I'm real new here, but I'd be up for that. Not in hopes of winning, I suck, but I like the boards and I'd be happy to kick in for upkeep.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
sponsorship

sponsorship

I think the raffle worked well in the past... but more importantly the player who is sponsored should be who we believe represents the game well... It is why JohnH, BernieP, Deeman have been nominated time and time again... Don't really think it is a popularity contest... more of who the members think represent one pocket with dignity and a little skill...

B

lfigueroa

Verified Member
My opinion is that the player sponsored by the site should be the player that has contributed to *this site* enough that they deserves recognition from their peers.

To be honest, I look at some of the guys nominated -- great guys though they are -- and I wonder if I can remember their last post, the substance of whatever posts they've made, look at their post count, and am left scratching my head. If it's all about how well a player plays, then by golly, that's a different thing and you might as well sponsor Efren, Scott, Shannon, or whomever and be done with it.

BUT, if it's about who contributes to "OnePocket.org" then it's whole different enchilada. Whatever the case is, and taking into account the uber secret council behind the scenes pulling the strings here, it is my thought that the rules for sponsorship should be laid out *nice and clear* once and for all.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My opinion is that the player sponsored by the site should be the player that has contributed to *this site* enough that they deserves recognition from their peers.

To be honest, I look at some of the guys nominated -- great guys though they are -- and I wonder if I can remember their last post, the substance of whatever posts they've made, look at their post count, and am left scratching my head. If it's all about how well a player plays, then by golly, that's a different thing and you might as well sponsor Efren, Scott, Shannon, or whomever and be done with it.

BUT, if it's about who contributes to "OnePocket.org" then it's whole different enchilada. Whatever the case is, and taking into account the uber secret council behind the scenes pulling the strings here, it is my thought that the rules for sponsorship should be laid out *nice and clear* once and for all.

Lou Figueroa
Speaking of Lou -- he would be another good one to sponsor -- plays well, always gives 100% effort, handles himself with dignity and also generally writes a very nice follow-up afterwords. Probably the only reason I didn't think of him is that he doesn't post that regularly, lol. I don't mean this as a knock, either. I understand that not everyone is going to post every day or every week or even every month. Lou is a streaky poster :D

You guys are right, we don't have "rules" about the sponsorship. I have been trying to just leave it to whatever seemed like the whim of the forum members that participate in the discussion. We had some years where we had a small two or three man "committee" that made the choice (with Deeman when he donated the sponsorship he won). We also did have a raffle the first year. I definitely like the idea of a raffle and they are fun and they do raise some money -- all good. But I generated a warning from Paypal because apparently they frown on them, so I have backed off raffles. However, if that is the way to go then I can do it, or something similar, accepting donations toward our HOF and picking our sponsor from those that donate. I could also post a poll to choose the sponsored players too.

I believe so far we have sponsored John Brumback at the US Open One pocket 2011, The Ghost for One Pocket at DCC 2012, while Freddy & I split a Banks sponsorship, and John Henderson in the US Open One Pocket 2012.

I am open to suggestions. I would say that the reasons Greg and Mark G have been willing to donate these entry spots is because they like our participation in these game (One Pocket & Banks), they like to support these games and of course to help stir some buzz for their tournament.

What do you all prefer -- a committee? a raffle? a poll? Donations are good both for the sponsorship and for supporting the site -- should a donation be a requisite for consideration, or optional? I am fine with all of the above.

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Raffle....

Raffle....

.....20$ a ticket.2 tickets max chances,the money goes 50% to the players who go and 50% to the site.....next....

thebaby

Verified Member
Guidelines......

Guidelines......

I would like to see what the guidelines would be, if there is any. Cuz my choice would be Billy Palmer, out of California. Iv'e seen this man play this game all my life. And you know what has stuck out in my mind the most?. It's how this man has changed his life over the years, and still plays at a level most of you only dream about. This man is a true ambassador to the game. Just ask anybody who has known him over the years. The lord has truly shown this man the light. We talk on a regular basis. All i can say is he walks by a different step then most so called pool players. i'm proud to call him my friend on the green felt ,and away from it. He has beaten alot of strong players in our life time . Just look it up, see for yourself. So that would be my choice to represent me in a tournament, hands down over all these names mentioned here. Not really sure if he post here often or not. But once again ,what are the guidelines if any? .Personally , my belief is the guidelines should be directed towards first, how a individual conducts themselves in the game. 2nd, how good you play the game. And third who have you beaten.
Just my thought. The Baby

Designed By A Player, Worn By Players!
www.playthegameclothing.com

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve
this is an idea
im not completely sure how this works
but what if we blend a raffle and a pool by having a sort of calcutta
players can be nominated by committee and/or by a member buying a ticket
in support of his nominee(which can be yourself to get on the ballot)
you can support(ie vote for) your player by buying a calcutta ticket for that player
the player that generates the most support is the sponsored played
the total amount generated is divided in some way between the site and the player
just an idea
the calcutta ticket could be a to be determined amount $ (or minimum)made as a donation to the site in support of players name

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would like to see what the guidelines would be, if there is any. Cuz my choice would be Billy Palmer, out of California. Iv'e seen this man play this game all my life. And you know what has stuck out in my mind the most?. It's how this man has changed his life over the years, and still plays at a level most of you only dream about. This man is a true ambassador to the game. Just ask anybody who has known him over the years. The lord has truly shown this man the light. We talk on a regular basis. All i can say is he walks by a different step then most so called pool players. i'm proud to call him my friend on the green felt ,and away from it. He has beaten alot of strong players in our life time . Just look it up, see for yourself. So that would be my choice to represent me in a tournament, hands down over all these names mentioned here. Not really sure if he post here often or not. But once again ,what are the guidelines if any? .Personally , my belief is the guidelines should be directed towards first, how a individual conducts themselves in the game. 2nd, how good you play the game. And third who have you beaten.
Just my thought. The Baby

Designed By A Player, Worn By Players!
www.playthegameclothing.com

I think for now we generally like the idea of sponsoring someone who has at least some genuine connection to OnePocket.org -- and generally the more the better. I am not sure if Billy Palmer is a member, but he is certainly welcome to get involved -- that would be a requirement as far as I am concerned.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks to Greg Sullivan and Pelican, we can sponsor both Banks and One Pocket initial entry and both player's buybacks!