tips?

Skin

Verified Member
Billie, you might try choking up on the cue. It helps me.

Skin

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Elevating has always been bad news for me, until I tried to adopt a Keith McCready sort of posture - elbow in and wrist cocked outward. I'm not able to play much any more, but when I do I hit those shots a lot better than I ever did before. Maybe it's just me . . .

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
anything over 20 to 25 degrees... i figured that there was a trick or thought process I am missing on it...

Yeah, well I don't know. I elevate to turn banks and jump the edge of balls but still hit the CB center, only low to masse. I don't do anything different.
Sorry I'm no help.
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I also have this problem. I think it is in the way elevating sort of takes you off the center view of the cuestick. I.e. you sort of stand aside a little bit to allow for the cue stick. If you can figure out how to still aim along the cue stick even though it is elevated, you might help the situation. Try aiming at something far away like a spot on the wall. Move the cuestick up and down and see what happens to your line of aim.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Elevating has always been bad news for me, until I tried to adopt a Keith McCready sort of posture - elbow in and wrist cocked outward. I'm not able to play much any more, but when I do I hit those shots a lot better than I ever did before. Maybe it's just me . . .

This is what I was getting ready to tell him to try.I've fixed a few folks by getting them to shoot jacked up with a side arm stroke. John B.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This kinda shot puts my body in a position that causes me to Follow Thru differently than ALL my other shots and therefore I get different results. All I do is set it up and adjust my approach to compensate for the over or undercut. It starts to feel like a pinch shot thats easy.

Skin

Verified Member
One other thing not mentioned when jacked up, if you are not looking at the cue ball when you strike it (v. object ball), try doing that.

So, the way I do it is line up with a forward grip, no tippy-toes, and look at the cb last. I've found that gives me the best accuracy that I personally can get. Good luck.

Skin

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
The problem is not you, it's the cloth.

Elevating you cue causes the Simmonis cloth to exaggerate everything.

It is really crap to play on.

One think that has helped me is to stay very close to center ball.
Don't try to be too fancy. Don't shoot very hard.

Bill S.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Your putting....

Your putting....

.....english on the CB when you elevate.As Bill S recommends stay in the center as much aS POSSIBLE.Regardless you need to allow for the unintentional english.Its actually great fun when you shoot a couple hundred and see how the english takes,cheers,James

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ask shannon
he is supposed to be good at that
and frozen to the rail also i think
correct me if im wrong

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Lotta good tips Bille !

Lotta good tips Bille !

I am having an accuracy issue when elevating the cue..<--Not surprising Bille, everyone does..:frus... is there a trick to this or just hit a couple (HUNDRED) thousand shots?

B

Bille,

Never having seen you, or a video, of your stroke, or style of your approach to the table, its hard to render an opinion or try to give advice...First of all, I don't know what you mean by "elevating your cue"...Are you talking about when you are over a ball or on the rail, trying to get some juice on the cue ball...or what ?...I'm also not understanding some of the 'tips' being offered... 'Simonis cloth' (?) etc.. (C'mon Billy S., What have you been playing on all these years.) :p :confused:

Let me point out, that over 80% of all shots, in any game, can be executed just fine, (english, center ball, whatever)..IF you keep your cue stick, as level as possible, in relation to the the table...Beginner up to shortsop, this is probably the FIRST thing any good instructor, will be sure to advise you of..(Unless you wanna be a 'trick shot artist' or shoot a lot of masse shots) IMO, a level cue is a VERY important component, of a good, dependable stroke.

Obviously, there are times when you HAVE TO elevate the butt of your cue. If you will notice, when ANY player does this, (especially to the extreme)...please notice a good, knowledgable commentator, (like Dr Bill, or Grady) will usually say, "Uh, oh..I don't like this"...That is because even with the best player's, the more you elevate, the bigger the chance for a poor result to occur...They know that, thats why they cringe..They've been there..! :eek:

With someone, or anyone, at your level of play (I'm assuming here) you can only multiply those chances for a bad result... So my advice would be...Don't beat yourself up, over a bad result under those conditions... there are lots of really good player's, that don't like those 'elevated' type shots...Try and learn the 80+ % of the game first..(that should keep you busy for a while :p)..If you feel that you are 'exceptionally' weak at that part of your game, don't get frustated...Just spend more time practicing it...It ain't easy for anyone, and you won't get better at it overnight...Try and not 'fear' the shot, just do the best you can, and move on..There are many times your own position play, will get you in those spots, (over a ball, etc)...Concentrate on learning to avoid those pitfalls.

PS.. Glad to share my take on this, with you and the other guys...I have screwed up my share of these elevated shots..If a decent player is not in dead punch...often, myself, I prefer finding another shot (if available) ;)

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I watched Tang Hoa hit an elevated shot one day in a tournament. I happened to have a straight on view looking right down his cue. What I noticed was how straight it all looked even with the follow through. I tried concentrating on my follow through more after that, and had some success with it. It depends how elevated you are though.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
To check on your alignment and possible hook in your follow through, go to the foot of the table and put a ball on the spot and line up your cue ball for a straight in shot to the far left or far right corner pocket and shoot it in while drawing straight back. Switch between the far right and far left corner in case the angle is also screwing you up. Start with the cue ball maybe 3" inches off the end rail and then work your way closer. You should be able to observe if you are consistently missing either to the left or to the right of the pocket and adjust your stance and/or bridge and/or head over your cue stick and/or your grip and/or your follow through accordingly -- you get the picture.

Like someone else already mentioned, really pay attention to whether you are stroking through the center of the cue ball -- the slightest bit left or right is magnified when you elevate.

PS., if your misses are haphazard to the left and right, this might not help, lol.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I agree totally with SuperDuck and his thoughts. I use to go into Jimmy Hodges place now and then and see Gullyassy practicing long range jack up shots all the time. I didn't see how he could stand to do it but he was making some amazing shots with regularity. Earl was always incredibly consistent with these kinds of shot too. Takes lots of practice, but jacking up will always lower your percentages. The ball leaves the bed of the table and causes you to overcut the object ball sometimes. It deflects and swerves. These shots need to be avoided at one pocket as much as possible...