Getting Into Trouble...Or Out???

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I guess from there its the 1 into the 14/4. not much angle to get the QB close to the corner pocket behind the 11.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
ID,

You may be aggressively underestimating the thinness of the cut on the 6 ball:).

CBD

Yeha, buts it's definitely a borderline YoYo shot with high % of make and No miscue because your at the proper angle to hit completely Thru the ball which really helps to Open up the shooting angle, as compared to the same distance with both balls somewhat in-line. The cloth conditions and Humidity would also be strong influences in the preshot process.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
As passive as it may seem, I think the best shot is the safety off the ten. Bring the ten over to your side of the table and drop the cue ball down to the bottom rail close to the eleven.

I believe this to be the best shot because with a lead of four zip you have a great advantage, but the table layout favors Scott. Shooting the six isn't a difficult shot to cinch but playing a follow up safety won't be so easy. Trying to play position on the five or fifteen off the six can lead to trouble if you don't come up with a good angle. You might end up with six balls but the positon will still be favoring Scott, and as great a shot maker as he is I want something working my way to slow him down.

By moving the ten to your side of the table you take the upper half of the table from Scott and he now has no play but a safety. From there you can start to push the balls up table and out of play. I say squeeze him tight! He hates players to squeeze him that way, and that should be one more excellent reason to do just that.

Tom

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Frank, with all due respect, why would you want to do that? What would you shoot next?

Actually I wouldn't want to do that when the 15 ball is sitting so good. I was just practicing with lines using paint.
Notice I put a little curve on the cue ball after striking the six ball.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yes Dennis,
I realize the shot is very passive and the six is an easy fifth ball with potential for more by playing for the fifteen or five, but the game can be locked up pretty tight by playing the ten back to the other side and hiding the cue ball behind that cluster of balls on Scotts side of the table. That shot if nothing else would drive Scott nuts and it would be sending him a message that if he wants a shot he's going to have to find one on his own.

One Pocket offers such a variety of styles to choose from and if you know how to switch gears at the right time many opponents will go on tilt and give you the game wrapped like a christmas present. I think this situation begs for that shot.

Tom

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Layout

Layout

Looks like you may be able to cut the 14 in. The cue ball caroms off the 4 for position to run more balls or a solid safety.

Hard to tell without actually being at the table and looking at it, but it look tempting to me.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Dennis,
This is a wonderful example of how important forethought is in One Pocket. Granted, I had the benefit of seeing Ochoa's shot and the trap he put himself in before making this statement. But I saw it coming anyway. I was not aware of his response before I made my initial choice of coming off the ten however. Sometimes NOT shooting a duck is the better play. Ochoa was not going to get out from that position so having that six ball on the table with the fifteen on the side rail and the cue ball down next to the eleven stops every agressive play Scott may have had.

Neutralizing the table position should be the primary goal when you have a good lead in a game while the opponent has the position.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dennis,
This is a wonderful example of how important forethought is in One Pocket. Granted, I had the benefit of seeing Ochoa's shot and the trap he put himself in before making this statement. But I saw it coming anyway. I was not aware of his response before I made my initial choice of coming off the ten however. Sometimes NOT shooting a duck is the better play. Ochoa was not going to get out from that position so having that six ball on the table with the fifteen on the side rail and the cue ball down next to the eleven stops every agressive play Scott may have had.

Neutralizing the table position should be the primary goal when you have a good lead in a game while the opponent has the position.

Tom
Tom, ducking behind the balls on Scott's side of the table is a very risky shot. The 5ball is a big ball for Frost, banking it straight back and traveling three rails around the table. If this shot is made there's no telling how many balls he'll get. Imo Sylver either should play the 6ball or bank the 10ball into the 1ball and drag the cue ball up table. The 6ball for a top player looks to be the choice. He then can play position for the 15ball (I believe) positioned on the rail on the other side of the side pocket, or the 5ball. I'm actually surprised that Sylver didn't play position off the 6ball.:confused: The other option would be to bank the 10 ball into the 1ball or the cluster, if the angle suggest that it's the better shot. This option will move a few balls toward your side of the table and put pressure on Frost. Playing a good cue ball is crucial when choosing this option.

Nice to see you posting.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hi Bill,
I agree with your perplexity at Ochoa's choice not to play position off the six. If he's going to shoot the six he should also play shape too. Draw up for the fifteen or go two rails for the five. But either way if he fails to get that shape he leaves himself in a very difficult positon. I still like crossing the ten back to Ochoa's side of the table forcing a low percentage shot on the five (even for Scott) or a safety which keeps the cue ball down table and pushes one more ball up table.

Banking the ten into the one and drawing up table could be risky too. Having more loose balls at the business end of the table with Scott shooting would not make for a comfortable moment in the chair for me. This is the beauty of One Pocket, Bill. The complexity of situations which offers multiple reasonable solutions is commonplace in this game. Personalities, playing styles, and abilities, require a variety of answers to these kind of situations.

Scott is a very dangerous opponent. He is a shot maker and that five ball is something he would want to take a flyer at, but with that ten ball helping defensively that shot becomes far more dicey.

Bill, I want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. That goes as well for all the rest of you here on Onepocket.org
Merry Christmas & happy Hanukkah!

And please keep fresh your thoughts and prayers for the families and friends of the 26 innocent lives who were lost last week in Connecticut.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I just set the situation up on my table here at home and there may be another possible shot to consider. How 'bout four railing the four ball and drawing to the side rail? The cluster will hide the four. The angle may not quite be there but it is worth a look. Sylver might even be able to position the cue ball behind the eleven with this shot.

I love this kind of stuff.

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I just set the situation up on my table here at home and there may be another possible shot to consider. How 'bout four railing the four ball and drawing to the side rail? The cluster will hide the four. The angle may not quite be there but it is worth a look. Sylver might even be able to position the cue ball behind the eleven with this shot.

Tom
Yeah, you could
Pinch draw the four with lower right,come off long rail and land behind Frost's stripe on lower rail, allta speed on the four, it appears to sit well controlling whitey for this shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Tom
Nice shot, and one that is often overlooked!!

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Nice shot, and one that is often overlooked!!

first choice for good player has to be shoot the 6 ball and play shape. The only other shot i like is 4 railing the 4 ball but you have to hit it with left not right english. The angle of the 4 railer is laying the that the ball needs to be cut wide a little, inside english will stiffen the so you would have to cut it more with inside english thus having to hit the cueball harder to get the 4 ball around the table.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
first choice for good player has to be shoot the 6 ball and play shape. The only other shot i like is 4 railing the 4 ball but you have to hit it with left not right english. The angle of the 4 railer is laying the that the ball needs to be cut wide a little, inside english will stiffen the so you would have to cut it more with inside english thus having to hit the cueball harder to get the 4 ball around the table.
I looked at that shot from the angle shown in the diagram and passed it because I believed it was too straight of an angle. But if the angle allows you to play the shot it is a very strong shot, especially for situations like this one.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
You guys can overthink this layout all you want, that's why it's up there, but let me ask a question; If you were staking Ochoa for $1000 a game and he didn't shoot the 6 ball right here what would you think? It's the only shot and tomorrow it'll still be the only shot.

Dennis

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The only other shot i like is 4 railing the 4 ball but you have to hit it with left not right english.

So no Pinch with right hand draw, then where does whitey go and not leave a shot ?

The way the shot is laying i would hit it with left english but hitting it with a stun shot. The 4 ball only has has to be cut the slightest bit. Since im hitting the 4 ball so full the cueball even though im hitting it hard should travel slowly right above the 3 ball hitting his side rail a quarter diamond above the pocket and should die next to the 3 ball and on top of the 11 ball..... All that being said i am personally shooting the 6 ball.
If you do shoot the 4 ball 4 railer you better get it close to your hole because Scott will be banking the 5 ball and coming 3 rails with the cueball for sure.