Owen vs. Bustamante 2008 DCC

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I might try this if it's laying right. If the three goes into the four, it's still ok, but I think Vaps shot is laying better. Otherwise I will just cut in the one and break out balls and run out. Looks easy (on the pc) Off the record and on the qt..oh snap....

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I might try this if it's laying right. If the three goes into the four, it's still ok, but I think Vaps shot is laying better. Otherwise I will just cut in the one and break out balls and run out. Looks easy (on the pc) Off the record and on the qt..oh snap....

Yep, but park whitey on the right side of the seven ball is 99% of the shot, just be Close....

backplaying

Verified Member
Yep, but park whitey on the right side of the seven ball is 99% of the shot, just be Close....

You would have to choke that ball to make it go there and the cueball is not going there. I would cut the ball in and try and break some balls out.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well this layout didn't generate a lot of interest, so I won't let it go the full "Billy I. 24-hour rule".;) A couple of the guys guessed pretty well. The commentators were screaming at Owen to cut in the 1-ball, which seemed like the obvious shot. Have whitey knock out the 3, or maybe open the stack a little. But Gabe did this:

Owen-Busty 2.jpg

And it ended up like this:

Owen-Busty 3.jpg

Danny D. said, "Oh, well if he can do THAT..." The mastery in the shot was getting enough speed on the OB to bust open the pile, but yet stun/kill the CB enough to 2-rail softly and snuggle up against the 7. Nice shot, tough leave, and he could have gotten even a better spread on the stack.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well this layout didn't generate a lot of interest, so I won't let it go the full "Billy I. 24-hour rule".;) A couple of the guys guessed pretty well. The commentators were screaming at Owen to cut in the 1-ball, which seemed like the obvious shot. Have whitey knock out the 3, or maybe open the stack a little. But Gabe did this:

View attachment 7429

And it ended up like this:

View attachment 7430

Danny D. said, "Oh, well if he can do THAT..." The mastery in the shot was getting enough speed on the OB to bust open the pile, but yet stun/kill the CB enough to 2-rail softly and snuggle up against the 7. Nice shot, tough leave, and he could have gotten even a better spread on the stack.

Doc
Heckuva nice shot. It calls to mind the Ghost's point about aggressive defense.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Naji, I think the simplest answer to your question is that Owen couldn't win by making the 1 ball, but he would most likely lose if he missed it. A lot of guys would go for the 1 ball slice, and the shot is makeable, but difficult; and it would be unlikely that the CB would break anything out of the stack that he could then shoot into his hole (absent a trick shot). Whereas there are 8 balls that go fairly routinely into Busty's pocket.

All these thoughts, and more, obviously went through Owen's mind. He elected to open up balls that he could make later, while freezing Busty in a very bad position, thereby completely turning the situation around for himself.

Doc