Short vs. Long rack

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've never played full rack banks (FRB), but I realize that it's the best bank pool game. I'm sure there's much more safety play in full rack in comparison to short rack. After all, short rack starts the action in mid game.:) And if the break is a safety break, it probably takes several innings to get balls opened up.

I'm also curious as to the average time per game in FRB as opposed to one-pocket. 1P would seem to be quicker, although there is undoubtedly the possibility of longer runs in 1P than in FRB. On the other hand, in banks the players use all of the pockets, so that might even out the time.

If FRB is not much different in length of play from 1P, it seems as though they'd play it in tournaments. What's the skinny here?

Doc

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
full versus short

full versus short

I think most top bank pool players prefer full rack. It's easier to get a leave on your opponent and you can control the tempo of the game better. If your opponent banks in 4 balls, you can still catch him and end up winning the game. It's much more difficult to play good defense playing short rack. Often the player who moves the best wins the game. Easier to move with full rack.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am promoting a new bank game. 11 ball rack. First one to 6 wins. Rack em like 10 ball and put the 11 ball behind the last row in the middle. Not as much strategy as full rack but much more manuevering than 9 ball rack.

Beard

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
bank pool breaks

bank pool breaks

I've never played full rack banks (FRB), but I realize that it's the best bank pool game. I'm sure there's much more safety play in full rack in comparison to short rack. After all, short rack starts the action in mid game.:) And if the break is a safety break, it probably takes several innings to get balls opened up.

I'm also curious as to the average time per game in FRB as opposed to one-pocket. 1P would seem to be quicker, although there is undoubtedly the possibility of longer runs in 1P than in FRB. On the other hand, in banks the players use all of the pockets, so that might even out the time.

If FRB is not much different in length of play from 1P, it seems as though they'd play it in tournaments. What's the skinny here?

Doc

I'm curious if anyone here recommends particular safety breaks for full rack bank pool?

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Breaking safe

Breaking safe

It depends on how strong a bank player you are playing. I was gambling with Do-Funny from Indy. His real name is Willie Ridley i think. Anyway i broke em wide open, didn't pocket a ball, and do-funny ran 8 and out. After that i broke safe by nicking the end ball and doubling that corner to the long side rail back to the end rail.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I am promoting a new bank game. 11 ball rack. First one to 6 wins. Rack em like 10 ball and put the 11 ball behind the last row in the middle. Not as much strategy as full rack but much more manuevering than 9 ball rack.

Beard

Fred, may I suggest to implement the rule of having to "bank a ball before you can shoot again".I think that might be an awesome game like that.That way the rack and break would not be such a pain the arse.Whatda say? JB

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'm curious if anyone here recommends particular safety breaks for full rack bank pool?

I like the straightpool break.And if you hit em just right the corner balls will go back into the stack.JB

John Brumback

Verified Member

Doc

I've had a few OP matches that lasted from 3 to 4hrs (race to 3) I have never had a race to 3 FR last over 2 hrs I don't think. JB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fred, may I suggest to implement the rule of having to "bank a ball before you can shoot again".I think that might be an awesome game like that.That way the rack and break would not be such a pain the arse.Whatda say? JB

Since I have such a pitiful break, I am all in favor of that rule. I would like that implemented in 9 ball banks also. It is too strong breaking and getting an easy layout. You are beat without coming to the table.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
Since I have such a pitiful break, I am all in favor of that rule. I would like that implemented in 9 ball banks also. It is too strong breaking and getting an easy layout. You are beat without coming to the table.

Beard

Exactly what i was thinking.And It would do away with the wiring the rack and wiring the break problems.You could rack em with your hands and it wouldn't even hardly matter.Throw the stinkin racks away,is what i say:lol I hate messin with the rack.I don't even like rack your own cause i give myself slugs half the time:eek::lol JB

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Exactly what i was thinking.And It would do away with the wiring the rack and wiring the break problems.You could rack em with your hands and it wouldn't even hardly matter.Throw the stinkin racks away,is what i say:lol I hate messin with the rack.I don't even like rack your own cause i give myself slugs half the time:eek::lol JB

Dear CatFishBreath,

If you ever played me you'd get a lot of practice racking..................for me:):D:p

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've had a few OP matches that lasted from 3 to 4hrs (race to 3) I have never had a race to 3 FR last over 2 hrs I don't think. JB
Well you see what I'm getting at: if the average race to 3, FR banks on average takes less time than does race to 3 1P, then they ought to just use FR in tournaments rather than short rack.:)

BTW John, how would that work, banking a ball before you can shoot again?

~Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
Well you see what I'm getting at: if the average race to 3, FR banks on average takes less time than does race to 3 1P, then they ought to just use FR in tournaments rather than short rack.:)

BTW John, how would that work, banking a ball before you can shoot again?

~Doc

Doc,It just means that you have to play safe off the break.You would not be able to just bust em wide open,make a ball on the break and keep shooting.;)
hence the "bank a ball before you can shoot again" term.
That's the real way FR is/used to be played.

IMO the race to 23 balls is the best format for BP.That way everyone will get a chance to play the game instead of maybe just watching your opp run the set out.I think everyone should get the same number of chances.I'm just wishing there was a way to get rid of the breaking and racking problems,two things that I don't feel should have much bearing on the outcome of any pool match.( a big problem that's comes with SRB) I would like to barr all racks and rack gimmicks and rack machanics :eek:

IMO,that's what's so good about FRB and OP,the rack and break is about the same for everyone and not such a big deal. JB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The way I handled the disparity of breaking and shooting again in "the old days," was I wouldnt allow my opponent to break the balls wide open. If we were playing for serious money the stipulation was my opponent would have to do what I did and that was make a safe break.

I never thought to try and make it an official rule, but that doesnt look like too bad of an idea.

Let me tell a story here that cements what we are talking about. After watching Brian Gregg demolish the bank ring game one year and then hearing that Tony Chohan was looking to play bank pool for $500 a game, I approached Brian and told him I would get Harry Platis to stake him against Chohan for the $500. In my mind I couldn't see a West Coaster beating a top notch Midwestern banker. Tony may have terroized the West Coast playing Bumps but things are a little different here in the heart of bank country. I beat every human playing banks on the West Coast so I figured Brian was a lock.
But this is how it all turned out. Later that day Brian approached me and thanked me for my effort to put him into action. Then he said something that became an immediate deal breaker. He said, " I cant wait to play that Chohan so that I can break the balls wide open and bank 8 and out." That line ended my influence with Harry Platis and Brian's chances of getting staked. That one line told me that Brian must have had very little experience playing big money bank pool. That was a line that a $30 a game player might make.

You see, all the great bankers that I knew, Bugs, Taylor, Donnie Anderson, Youngblood, etc., great as they were they all broke safe. (When playing for serious money) I figured if it was good enough for them it was good enough for me.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
The way I handled the disparity of breaking and shooting again in "the old days," was I wouldnt allow my opponent to break the balls wide open. If we were playing for serious money the stipulation was my opponent would have to do what I did and that was make a safe break.

I never thought to try and make it an official rule, but that doesnt look like too bad of an idea.

Let me tell a story here that cements what we are talking about. After watching Brian Gregg demolish the bank ring game one year and then hearing that Tony Chohan was looking to play bank pool for $500 a game, I approached Brian and told him I would get Harry Platis to stake him against Chohan for the $500. In my mind I couldn't see a West Coaster beating a top notch Midwestern banker. Tony may have terroized the West Coast playing Bumps but things are a little different here in the heart of bank country. I beat every human playing banks on the West Coast so I figured Brian was a lock.
But this is how it all turned out. Later that day Brian approached me and thanked me for my effort to put him into action. Then he said something that became an immediate deal breaker. He said, " I cant wait to play that Chohan so that I can break the balls wide open and bank 8 and out." That line ended my influence with Harry Platis and Brian's chances of getting staked. That one line told me that Brian must have had very little experience playing big money bank pool. That was a line that a $30 a game player might make.

You see, all the great bankers that I knew, Bugs, Taylor, Donnie Anderson, Youngblood, etc., great as they were they all broke safe. (When playing for serious money) I figured if it was good enough for them it was good enough for me.

Beard

That's good. You do know and remember that race to 23 years ago (my first real bank tourney) at Chris's Billiards when Tough Tony won it.It was played "u had to bank a ball to shoot again.That to me is what I call real BP and always will.
I lost to Buggs and Tony.I think they were both in the fianls and I know Tony beat Buggs.What year was that? Mid to late 80's? I can't remember.

That was a tuff feild of bankers,right there I can tell ya:eek: I don't know if Donnie A. was there or not?

I don't think I've ever seen B.G. break safe.He broke em wideopen on me
not long ago at the Brickyard tourney:lol It was a little scarey for me. I would rather have him break em safe.:eek::lol JB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That's good. You do know and remember that race to 23 years ago (my first real bank tourney) at Chris's Billiards when Tough Tony won it.It was played "u had to bank a ball to shoot again.That to me is what I call real BP and always will.
I lost to Buggs and Tony.I think they were both in the fianls and I know Tony beat Buggs.What year was that? Mid to late 80's? I can't remember.

That was a tuff feild of bankers,right there I can tell ya:eek: I don't know if Donnie A. was there or not?

I don't think I've ever seen B.G. break safe.He broke em wideopen on me
not long ago at the Brickyard tourney:lol It was a little scarey for me. I would rather have him break em safe.:eek::lol JB

Forgot the year. It was Bugs and Tony in the finals. Cant remember if Donnie played or not.

Beard