Buisness Plan

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Does anyone out there have a buisness plan for opening a pool hall? I am retireing soon and have really thought about opening a place... simple, food, pool, bar...

B

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bille, I expect you will get plenty of advice here - it's the most readily available commodity in the world. However, I recommend you get your information from business people, and not pool players. No doubt there are business plans you can get, and from successful operators. If you're serious, ask the experts.

Best of luck. Good rooms and good operators are needed, and in short supply.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Vapros,
figured me and Doc need a quality place to play besides my house... Shannon is supposed to help me with this but was hoping for insight from what the players would want... besides the hustler special... hotdog and coke, and a tooth pick...

B

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Vapros,
figured me and Doc need a quality place to play besides my house... Shannon is supposed to help me with this but was hoping for insight from what the players would want... besides the hustler special... hotdog and coke, and a tooth pick...

B

You'll need hackers, suckers, and fun players to be a success.
Rooms full of players mostly go broke.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Bille
pool rooms are closing all over the country
that should tell you somethng about investing in a pool room
your friends are those who will sometimes tell you what you dont want to hear
my 2 cents my friend
over "there "(azb) there is a forum
called "room owner discussion"
you may want to post there for some advice
http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Bille
pool rooms are closing all over the country
that should tell you somethng about investing in a pool room
your friends are those who will sometimes tell you what you dont want to hear
my 2 cents my friend
over "there "(azb) there is a forum
called "room owner discussion"
you may want to post there for some advice
http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

I know of many pool rooms that are doing well. Offer the right combination and you can win with a pool room.

Ray

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I know of many pool rooms that are doing well. Offer the right combination and you can win with a pool room.

Ray
ray thats great to hear....:)
i hope bille makes a ton whatever he decides to do
( then he can treat me to come and play him all expences paid...:D....:heh)

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Open a bar that just happens to have a few tables, to start with. Liquor can sell sometimes for 800 % ...let me say it again so you can "hear" my typing , five hundred percent profit on a beverage containing alcohol is very common.

GoodLuck Sir !

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
room

room

Contact Greg Sullivan of diamond tables, and he can guide you and possibly help you get set up. This is what he does.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Vapros,

Heh, heh. Well, there is no finer equipment than what's at your house.:cool: I guess the room would have to be in Biloxi or Gulfport. But remember, R.D. is on the Gpt city council, so the permits there might be hard to come by...:( I could be wrong.

Doc

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Doc

Doc

Hadn't thought about Ricky being on the council, but you are right... they are closing the blockbuster in the strip mall next to winn dixie in long beach... right size, great parking, next to sicily's pizza, with 24 hour police...
traffic is optimal for location, USM college reopens this year within a mile...

Should work out, we will see...

B

PS was playing G. Kelley last night at skeeters when you called, will get with you today... $42 in table time because he says I have an unfair advantage at the house...jeez

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
A golf game on a big (12 foot) snooker tabole can go a long way toward paying your monthly nut. You need a "ringmaster" to organize the golf game. Also, close ball, pay ball, ring 9 ball and 10 ball are all games that can entertain up to six players at a time on one table all paying for time.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
A golf game on a big (12 foot) snooker tabole can go a long way toward paying your monthly nut. You need a "ringmaster" to organize the golf game. Also, close ball, pay ball, ring 9 ball and 10 ball are all games that can entertain up to six players at a time on one table all paying for time.

Many room owners do not realize the value of a daytime golf game in their pool room. Once they get going the regulars will be there from morning til dinner time.

In the 50's/60's/70's many of the rooms in CA had 5 x 10 or 6 x 12 snooker tables with daily golf games. They are few and far between now. I have to drive two hours from Sacramento to the South Bay to play on a 6 x 12. The room owners who took the tables out cite the amount of space they took up but did not try to promote the game and get it going when the tables were there.

California Billiard Club in Mountain View, CA has three 6 x 12 Riley's. Two are set up for snooker with the bi-directional snooker cloth and the other table has Simonis for the golf players. There is a huge Oriental and East Indian population in the area (Silicon Valley) that likes to play snooker.

The main push now is for league play and even adding more bar tables and taking regulation tables out. While that makes sense to increase the evening business, I wish there was a room with an active golf game a little closer to me. I would be there almost every day.

As an oldtimer, in my mind a pool room is not a pool room without a snooker and billiard table in it.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Many room owners do not realize the value of a daytime golf game in their pool room. Once they get going the regulars will be there from morning til dinner time.

In the 50's/60's/70's many of the rooms in CA had 5 x 10 or 6 x 12 snooker tables with daily golf games. They are few and far between now. I have to drive two hours from Sacramento to the South Bay to play on a 6 x 12. The room owners who took the tables out cite the amount of space they took up but did not try to promote the game and get it going when the tables were there.

California Billiard Club in Mountain View, CA has three 6 x 12 Riley's. Two are set up for snooker with the bi-directional snooker cloth and the other table has Simonis for the golf players. There is a huge Oriental and East Indian population in the area (Silicon Valley) that likes to play snooker.

The main push now is for league play and even adding more bar tables and taking regulation tables out. While that makes sense to increase the evening business, I wish there was a room with an active golf game a little closer to me. I would be there almost every day.

As an oldtimer, in my mind a pool room is not a pool room without a snooker and billiard table in it.

Amen to that sir. What I would do (this is just me) is that I would never open unless I could run at least 5 or 6 of the video poker type machines and have beer AND liquor AND stay open all hours if I desire. Then you can make it and have snooker, a billiard table and get a golf game going. Alcohol and Poker Machines will free you up and keep you open. Just get those machines going just half way like they should be, and it'll be good to go.

Machines like this available for less than 2k each. Buy your own if at all possible. No use giving half of your profits to some vendor who will only come each week to count money. If a machine need repairs normally it involves only taking out a pc board and taking it in for repairs, which is all your vendor would do, so..

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Some good....

Some good....

.....idea's here.Be sure to contact room owners DIRECTLY from around the country also even though demigraphics are important.Try and do without partners if at all possible.Best of luck,cheers,James

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Heh, heh. Well, there is no finer equipment than what's at your house.:cool: I guess the room would have to be in Biloxi or Gulfport. But remember, R.D. is on the Gpt city council, so the permits there might be hard to come by...:( I could be wrong.

Doc

who is RD??

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I agree with you there, John. We used to have a golf game back in the 60's on the 5 X 10 snooker table at the Hollywood Musician's Union all day, every day, except Sundays.

There's a snooker table at the room in Gulfport, however golf never caught on. But if it's started with the right rules, and a good core of guys, the game is always going. ~Doc