Owen vs. Chohan 2007 U.S. Open final

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here's the situation: Gabe has come back to win the first set (has to win two sets in true dbl elim) in the finals match. This is the second game of the second set, races to 4. Gabe has won the first game. Now in the second game Gabe needs one; Tony needs all three. This is a tricky situation. What would you do; and what do you think Gabe did? ~Doc

View attachment 7256

Just slightly cut the 15 with a 9 o'clock Spinner and land it on the bottom rail, cue will not have enough speed to get to the side pocket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
On the cut shot did the qb hit below the side pocket? I was wondering if top right would have sent the qb three rails not selling out an easy shot.
Yes, it hit the long rail below the side pocket. I think if he had hit it hard enough to go three rails he would have been in danger of a kiss, or of leaving the 15 in a sell-out position.

I'm sure in this case, Gabe mulled over all the options, then made a snap judgement to try to win the game right there. It was a dumb decision, but we all make them...:( He'd had control of the match until then, which tied them at 1-1.

BTW, Gabe went on to lose the set to Chohan after winning the first of the two matches. Whether he learned from that, it's hard to say, but he did go on to win the DCC 1P several months later.;)

Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I would like to run into Gabe sometime in my travels. Looks like I'll be in L. A. after Thanksgiving. Think I'll try hard times this time.

I'm heading to New Orleans right now. Will be there for a week. Maybe we could meet in Slidell.

Yes, it hit the long rail below the side pocket. I think if he had hit it hard enough to go three rails he would have been in danger of a kiss, or of leaving the 15 in a sell-out position.

I'm sure in this case, Gabe mulled over all the options, then made a snap judgement to try to win the game right there. It was a dumb decision, but we all make them...:( He'd had control of the match until then, which tied them at 1-1.

BTW, Gabe went on to lose the set to Chohan after winning the first of the two matches. Whether he learned from that, it's hard to say, but he did go on to win the DCC 1P several months later.;)

Doc