ca billiards 2012 finals bustamonte vs shmidt #1

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm forced to

I'm forced to

shoot toward Schmidt's corner - I would not consider doing anything else here. I will hit the 9 ball first, and take out the 6 on the carom. I will be trying to billiard the 9 off the 7 and send the 7 uptable and the 9 toward my pocket, hoping not to leave a bank on either the 9 or 4. Best I can do. Maybe I can draw the cb enough to avoid the return bank. If I clear out 3 of the 4 balls in that area, I will have to feel I have done pretty good. But with the cb on the head rail, I can't draw it, anyway. It's just as well, as I think both the 5 and the 8 will bank. I will pretend I did not notice the 4 ball.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
shoot toward Schmidt's corner - I would not consider doing anything else here. I will hit the 9 ball first, and take out the 6 on the carom. I will be trying to billiard the 9 off the 7 and send the 7 uptable and the 9 toward my pocket, hoping not to leave a bank on either the 9 or 4. Best I can do. Maybe I can draw the cb enough to avoid the return bank. If I clear out 3 of the 4 balls in that area, I will have to feel I have done pretty good. But with the cb on the head rail, I can't draw it, anyway. It's just as well, as I think both the 5 and the 8 will bank. I will pretend I did not notice the 4 ball.

WOW:eek: that has danger writen all over.

Tough spot, I might just hit straight into the 6 and leave the qb on the bottom rail. I dont think there will be much of a return bank from there.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I would kick at the six from the side rail just hard enough to sent it to the bottom rail. CB will stay there and not give anything away. I think.---Smitty

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
As Ronnie Allen would say "What's the score?" In the absence of that information I'd try to move the six and leave Qb down at the end rail. I know it's not very imaginative but the table as it stands presents him with a lot of risk and not much upside.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
As Ronnie Allen would say "What's the score?" In the absence of that information I'd try to move the six and leave Qb down at the end rail. I know it's not very imaginative but the table as it stands presents him with a lot of risk and not much upside.

there are 15 balls on the table plus the cue ball......:D
just sayin
p.s.
they each owe one ball

Jimmy B

Verified Member
three or the fourteen going home

What are you saying sidepocket (Schofield) Kid?? Are you saying that he has a dead one? He does appear to be looking at something like that, but I don't see it. Would Larry double steer us in such a cruel manner?? Stay tuned. This one is exciting to me/.........

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
cut the eight in

cue ball takes out the six off the rail

agressive but ...
I agree, this is a very difficult situation to deal from, looks like any safety chosen has problems attached to them. I would cut at the 8 ball with a soft to medium speed trying to over cut the 8ball slightly, you can't afford to under cut the 8ball...automatic loser...By over cutting the 8ball with a soft speed there are several good things that can happen for you. One, hanging or positioning the 8ball where several return banks could easily be blocked. Two, going into the side of the 6ball and creating congestion with the 6ball, protecting the 8ball that should be positioned close to your pocket, unless you pocket the 8ball.:D Vapros shot on going into the 9ball and then into the 6ball has scratch implications, too risky, even though that's the easiest hit it's not right for me. All other options are difficult hits with no chance of improving your position. The hit on the 8ball is no tougher than the hit on the safety options, at least shooting the 8 ball you can either pocket some balls or improve your position, not so with any other option that carries the same degree of difficulty.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I believe I'd try to rearrange the furniture and hope I got lucky. :p:D
Rod.

That's not a bad choice but I passed on it figuring that there was to much of a kissing possibility with that choice. Of all the options that are available, other than the 8ball option I would possibly lean to that one but wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I actually went to my table and tried to set up the balls the way they are positioned and tried both shots ( Rod's shot and shooting off the 8ball) It's difficult to set up the balls accurately with Rod's shot but I did the best I could and shot it three times. I got a decent return without kissing on two of the 3 attempts but on one attempt I scratched off the 9ball. It looks like if you're assured of hitting the 9ball thinly then Rods shot is a good shot. I then set up the 8ball option and realized that the 8ball was positioned too low to play the 8ball and drop behind the 6ball, but hitting the 8ball thicker and dropping behind the 6ball wasn't a problem. There is a good 10" area where you can hit to drop behind the 6ball safely. But if Rods shot was laying where I felt that I would hit the 9ball thinly I would play his shot.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well this was a tough one to diagram
because of the speed of what happenned and with lennys dvds there is no replay of the shot or commentary
so heres the best i can do
bustie came off the long rail into the 6 which hit the stack and moves a bunch of ball to his side
the q and 6 kissed in a favorable way for bustie
heres the gist of the shot and the result
also look at how jacked up bustie was to shoot it
bb5.jpg

bb4.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What are you saying sidepocket (Schofield) Kid?? Are you saying that he has a dead one? He does appear to be looking at something like that, but I don't see it. Would Larry double steer us in such a cruel manner?? Stay tuned. This one is exciting to me/.........[/QUOTE]

moi double steer???:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Attachments

• 3424597-two-examples-of-highland-cattle-a-scottish-breed.jpg
    3424597-two-examples-of-highland-cattle-a-scottish-breed.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
there are 15 balls on the table plus the cue ball......

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the match score. If it was a race to 4 and Bustamonte is up 3-0 vs. the other way around he might loosen up a bit on that shot. If it were I and I was down 0-3 I would focus on getting the Qb to the end rail whereas if I were up 3-0 I might work with the 6 ball and try improving my side of the table.