A. Hopkins Practicing

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Hopkins had a guy setting up the object balls and he shot them repeatedly(10-12 times) to the designated pocket. Which english would you use to cut these object balls in?

AH1.jpg

AH2.jpg

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Whatever your....

Whatever your....

comfortable with.Some guys like to have the edge of the ball to shoot at and some dont need it,cheers,Jack

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I think the only hope I would have on that shot is extreme right. I have more control with low right. I use to call it helping english or throwing the ball uphill a little bit. About the same as if the cue ball were in the head spot area and you were trying to bank it into the left hand pocket.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Inside=left. :frus
Rod.

Maximum inside (left english) will also work well. Not spun, but stroked.

Beard

Using inside is the only way I'd ever shoot this ball in a one-pocket game or just to make the ball practicing. I used to practice the 1st shot from even tougher angles than that.

Hopkins used outside and never made the ball one time. He was just half-horsing around though but I was surprised to see him use outside.

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Using inside is the only way I'd ever shoot this ball in a one-pocket game or just to make the ball practicing. I used to practice the 1st shot from even tougher angles than that.

Hopkins used outside and never made the ball one time. He was just half-horsing around though but I was surprised to see him use outside.

Dennis

We shot the prop below often in the late sixties. I got pretty good at it. The secret is to hit down on the CB a little and get it hopping, for every fraction the CB rises you get twice as thin a hit.
Rod.
P.S. The guys trying to spin it in gave up quickly. It would be made every 12/18 shots or so. When made the CB didn't scratch.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 0

backplaying

Verified Member
I would say than anyone that said they would shoot these shots with inside would catch me for a chip or two compared to throwing the ball in with outside.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I doubt that

I doubt that

I will spend any time at all practicing such a shot. If I ever have to shoot it to save my life . . . well, I'll just save you a place by the fire. See you later.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
We shot the prop below often in the late sixties. I got pretty good at it. The secret is to hit down on the CB a little and get it hopping, for every fraction the CB rises you get twice as thin a hit.
Rod.
P.S. The guys trying to spin it in gave up quickly. It would be made every 12/18 shots or so. When made the CB didn't scratch.

my 2 cents
icbw
the deflection and swerve augmented with downward angle and hop
causes the cue ball to come into the object ball at a less severe cut angle
increasing your your chances of making it:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'll have to try those ultra thin cuts with inside. If it works, my guess is that it's the same principle as with the reverse bank shots: the added squirt from using inside causes a thinner hit on the OB. When an OB is cut that thin, it doesn't cause collision induced spin like it would with a thicker hit.

Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would say than anyone that said they would shoot these shots with inside would catch me for a chip or two compared to throwing the ball in with outside.

Amen to that. And i'd just like to state for the record, I really hate to argue here, I just like to state my dum opinion and get the heck out... but for me there are 2 things at play here....

Let's face it, the harder you have to hit the cb, the more magnified any slight stroke error will be with your aim. What does extreme spinning like crazy relative to how fast the cb is going type stroke do for you here? It one (pay attention young boys and girls) tends to give the ob quite a bit more speed when considering how fast the cb is going. second, you can hit this ball thicker with outside and make it, i dont care what anybody says, and no i dont care about any dumb doctor dave videos either, save it all. shoot this ball with a shitton of outside, and dont hit the cb hard kids. thanks me when you win the world championship.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Amen to that. And i'd just like to state for the record, I really hate to argue here, I just like to state my dum opinion and get the heck out... but for me there are 2 things at play here....

Let's face it, the harder you have to hit the cb, the more magnified any slight stroke error will be with your aim. What does extreme spinning like crazy relative to how fast the cb is going type stroke do for you here? It one (pay attention young boys and girls) tends to give the ob quite a bit more speed when considering how fast the cb is going. second, you can hit this ball thicker with outside and make it, i dont care what anybody says, and no i dont care about any dumb doctor dave videos either, save it all. shoot this ball with a shitton of outside, and dont hit the cb hard kids. thanks me when you win the world championship.

I can spin the balls in very well. I'll say this when you're a half table or more away from your target it's very, very difficult.:eek:
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'll have to try those ultra thin cuts with inside. If it works, my guess is that it's the same principle as with the reverse bank shots: the added squirt from using inside causes a thinner hit on the OB. When an OB is cut that thin, it doesn't cause collision induced spin like it would with a thicker hit.

Doc

Great rationale. It is no wonder you were able to graduate doctor school.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Wow!

I really thought there were more sharp people on here than it looks like.

All you inside shooters can ALWAYS have this proposition from me.

We shoot shot for shot...bet what you want to win...only loser can quit.

You inside shooters line up and take a number, you WILL be going off.

P.S. $100 a shot minimum and put up for 5 shots.

Man, what a bunch of suckers on here. I hope I get a ton of you going for this. Jeez, the cops might arrest me for stealing.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Wow!

I really thought there were more sharp people on here than it looks like.

Man, what a bunch of suckers on here.

Steve, you guys have had a lot better luck on our travels through the gambling dens.
Every time I bet on someone's prop, that he could do some seemingly impossible thing or I couldn't do something that looked easy. :)
I lost, so I quit betting against other peoples games.
Good luck to the sharp guys !
Just add me to the bunch of suckers list.
Banana Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If we do this on a 6x12 its even better.

Steve, if you dont think I, or any good player, cant make those shots with inside english then you are craaaazy!:lol

Beard

(it happens to be a favorite way of Earl and Larry Nevel by the way when they shoot these as trick shots.)
Of course it can go with outside also.