Traveling with the best. Eddie Taylor

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
I never played banks but I traveled for years, with Eddie Taylor and was his close friend until his passing, when I held his hand.
When I was a kid in Johnston City he played me a game of bank pool for five dollars, eight or no count to my eight. What a scam. Eddie would bank one or two in each shot and spot them up in line. When enough were on the spot he positioned himself across from the line and wop, wop, wop across the side until he had five, then he turned his head and smacked the last three in. It was great having so many top hustler's watching my game with such admiration, even though I wasn't who they were watching.

Anybody who ever knew Eddie would know he wouldn't think of taking my money. Eddie Taylor was a gentleman of the old school. In the words of the inimitable Thomas C. Shaw, from P&B Mag., "Eddie was just plain likable." I wrote some stories about our time on the road together in my new book,
The Other Side Of The Road...A Pool Hustler's Tale.
Keep it nice. Alfie

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Your an interesting read.....

Your an interesting read.....

......Alfie.You first say you never play banks and then you get into a bank game routine where you played another cat named.appro enough,Taylor!Where are you from and what are you doing here?Welcome,its a pleasure to meet another lover of billiards.......Jack

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I never played banks but I traveled for years, with Eddie Taylor and was his close friend until his passing, when I held his hand.
When I was a kid in Johnston City he played me a game of bank pool for five dollars, eight or no count to my eight. What a scam. Eddie would bank one or two in each shot and spot them up in line. When enough were on the spot he positioned himself across from the line and wop, wop, wop across the side until he had five, then he turned his head and smacked the last three in. It was great having so many top hustler's watching my game with such admiration, even though I wasn't who they were watching.

Anybody who ever knew Eddie would know he wouldn't think of taking my money. Eddie Taylor was a gentleman of the old school. In the words of the inimitable Thomas C. Shaw, from P&B Mag., "Eddie was just plain likable." I wrote some stories about our time on the road together in my new book,
Keep it nice. Alfie

Alfie,

I think I told you once, I just missed you in Shreveport. I was there shortly before Eddie passed..He was still coming by the pool room occasionally... He was also one of Mike Jame's, all-time heroes...I, of course, had seen Eddie around, but Mike formally introduced us, and we had some good talks about some mutual friends (you, Beanie, and other's) Sure glad I got to spend at least a few hours, with the grand old man...He was one of a kind for sure..Irreplacable !!!

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member

Keep it nice. Alfie

Cool stuff! I was lucky and got to talk to Mike James for a very good while also about Mr. Taylor.He was one of kind for sure.Mike told me that his main thing was to keep it simple.I liked that quote.John B.