Pagulayan vs. Reyes 2006 D.C.C. Semi-Finals

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is a continuation of the game I previously posted where Alex puts the cueball in Efren's pocket jaws.

Efren is in the middle of running some balls here. How would you proceed? I don't think Freddy or Cardone (co-commentators) will forget for a very long time, but I've been wrong before.

The 6 & 7 ball do not pass by the 4 ball.

ER's Shot.jpg

CapturedPicture_5.Jpeg

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'd use my monster/Mike Massey type stroke to go 4 rails and get behind those three balls in the top right corner of the table..:eek:...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, Ok, not really - I don't have that much stroke...

I would come out of the corner two rails to get position to bank the 7ball cross-corner - and I'll be trying to get the proper angle on the bank, so that I can shoot the 4 next, and then the 6 - from the 6, I can get down behind the other balls.

PPS, Just saw Rod's post/shot...if the angles's there, that's another possible shot - and as a backup plan, if you miss clipping the 4ball and run by it - you can shoot the 7-4 combination instead.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I don't remember doing this match with Freddie, matter of fact I don't remember doing this match period.

After looking at the layout from the picture I feel that you either play position for the 7 ball bank, or draw the cue ball two cushions into the 7 ball. Following the cue ball is a possible way to hit either the 4 or 7 balls, but this shot looks like you have to use extreme follow with speed to change the angle going into the second cushion. Not my kind of a shot, but Reyes could pull it off.

Billy I.

bbutler

Verified Member
From
In yer pocket!
I don't remember doing this match with Freddie, matter of fact I don't remember doing this match period.

After looking at the layout from the picture I feel that you either play position for the 7 ball bank, or draw the cue ball two cushions into the 7 ball.

Billy I.

I agree with this also. One other possible alternative is to load the cueball up with left english and try and play for the stripe by the left-hand side pocket. That ball blocks the scratch, so it might be worth trying. You can always have the 7-4 combo as backup.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Disagree with me on this one!

Disagree with me on this one!

After looking at the layout from the picture I feel that you either play position for the 7 ball bank, or draw the cue ball two cushions into the 7 ball. Following the cue ball is a possible way to hit either the 4 or 7 balls, but this shot looks like you have to use extreme follow with speed to change the angle going into the second cushion. Not my kind of a shot, but Reyes could pull it off.

Billy I.

I have the accustats DVD of this match. You and I did it. Would you consider that evidence enough, or do you want to continue to do your "disagree" thing?
I know what Effie did. It has been on YouTube and many other formats. It was an incredible shot. You and I, Sir Bill, just about jumped out of our chairs when he came with it.

Beard

bstroud

Verified Member
No one has mentioned the 14 ball. It goes straight in and is online for 2 rail position.

I still think position for a bank on the 7 is the wise move because it opens up the other balls.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have the accustats DVD of this match. You and I did it. Would you consider that evidence enough, or do you want to continue to do your "disagree" thing?
I know what Effie did. It has been on YouTube and many other formats. It was an incredible shot. You and I, Sir Bill, just about jumped out of our chairs when he came with it.

Beard

What are you getting so excited about? I didn't disagree with you, all I said is I don't remember doing this match, how does that sound like a disagreement?

If you're upset about my.. 'poor table management post' don't be upset, i'll give you a brush up course at the DCC before we play John and The Ghost.

'Tip for today' Keep your head down on tables with 4-1/4" pockets;)

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is a continuation of the game I previously posted where Alex puts the cueball in Efren's pocket jaws.

Efren is in the middle of running some balls here. How would you proceed? I don't think Freddy or Cardone (co-commentators) will forget for a very long time, but I've been wrong before.
The 6 & 7 ball do not pass by the 4 ball.

Well I was half-right:p After completely ignoring Cardones advice to play for a bank or combination next, Efren drew & spun two rails and hit the 7 ball to open up all three balls. This shot could've only worked on the new tournament cloth and Efren saw that. The cueball slid off the endrail and the siderail instead of rebounding as it would on a worn cloth and that changed the angle enough to hit the 7. It was a great idea and a great shot.

This pic doesn't do it justice, you must see it:).

ER's Shot.jpg

He left himself here and got the other two needed to complete a 9 & out and win the match:

CapturedPicture_8.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well I was half-right:p After completely ignoring Cardones advice to play for a bank or combination next, Efren drew & spun two rails and hit the 7 ball to open up all three balls. This shot could've only worked on the new tournament cloth and Efren saw that. The cueball slid off the endrail and the siderail instead of rebounding as it would on a worn cloth and that changed the angle enough to hit the 7. It was a great idea and a great shot.

This pic doesn't do it justice, you must see it:).

View attachment 4598

He left himself here and got the other two needed to complete a 9 & out and win the match:

View attachment 4597

Dennis, I never said to play for the combination, if you look at post #6 below here's what I said.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis, I never said to play for the combination, if you look at post #6 below here's what I said.

Billy I.

Bill,

Seriously now, when was the last time you saw me make a mistake?:)

There was a guy in booth with Freddy who sounded exactly like you and after Efren left himself this shot the guy in booth with Freddy (we'll call him Mr. X) said "Unfortunately the balls didn't separate and give him a good straight-in shot. Now he's either gonna have to play for a combination or a bank...for his next shot".

Mr. X must be your evil twin because he also interviewed Efren after the finals where he defeated Jason Miller.:D You did that match with Danny D..

CapturedPicture_10.Jpeg

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Bill,

There was a guy in booth with Freddy who sounded exactly like you and after Efren left himself this shot the guy in booth with Freddy (we'll call him Mr. X) said "Unfortunately the balls didn't separate and give him a good straight-in shot. Now he's either gonna have to play for a combination or a bank...for his next shot".

Mr. X must be your evil twin because he also interviewed Efren after the finals where he defeated Jason Miller.:D You did that match with Danny D..

View attachment 4603

I think you're wrong Dennis. I believe that's Cole doing the interview.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bill,

View attachment 4603

Dennis, like I mentioned earlier I didn't remember doing the commentary on this match so when you said that Reyes ignored what I had said, I really was thinking that you were referring to what I said in this thread. My bad.:eek:

I was able to see the shot Reyes chose off the picture in this thread, but wasn't able to envision it during the live match. I guess i'm a smarter player today as opposed to back then. Is smart the right word?:D

Billy I.