efren/scott

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
The first shot I saw was three railing the strip by Scott's pocket. I am new to one pocket and noticed that no one else suggested that. Why not? It looks like a free shot to me.

Rick

I was thinking the same thing at first, but then you could leave a short bank real easy like. If you want to avoid doing that, then you'd need to juice up the CB from that angle, it seems, and the whole shot becomes a lot more difficult. That's what I figured anyhow. :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The first shot I saw was three railing the strip by Scott's pocket. I am new to one pocket and noticed that no one else suggested that. Why not? It looks like a free shot to me.

Rick

Could be a reasonable shot. Not my favorite, have to duck hitting the side pocket and there is a chance of a kiss after the 3rd rail on the OB. Both could have bad results. :eek: If successfully executed could work well. :)
Rod.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Bill, if you notice the action on the cue ball after the z bank was executed than you must agree that positioning the cue ball into the balls on the end rail was not possible. You either play the bank like he did, or look else where. Reyes just hit the bank bad, it really wasn't a bad shot. It looks to me that if the bank would of been hit accurately than the cue ball (if drawn) would be tracking toward the corner pocket, he over compensated and guarded against the scratch.

Nurse Bill:D

Nice view of what went through Efren's head. A little more cut on the object ball and the cue is headed to the corner pocket. But he could have hit it just a bit better.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
so no one likes back kicking the stripe??
why??

hit into the stripe from the end rail ( back kick it) the stripe goes into the long rail and towards the grouping of balls in the diagonal corner
cue ball stays near scotts pocket
somebody PLEASE comment on that shot:frus

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
why??

hit into the stripe from the end rail ( back kick it) the stripe goes into the long rail and towards the grouping of balls in the diagonal corner

Larry, you know the Ghost is always here for you..;)...

...the reason that most of us aren't mentioning that shot, is because that shot doesn't have to be resorted to in this spot - since there are offensive opportunitys available....if there were no offensive opportunitys available, then kicking that striped ball away would be the very common defensive shot to be chosen here.

- Ghost

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

There's a very good chance that's the shot I would shoot, which should tell you all you need to know. That, or I'd cut the stripe with the expectation of making it. Depends on who I'm playing and the stakes.

ETA: I should say that if the stipe went, the nine would then go away. If I were lucky enough to get the cue ball back to the left rail, I'd probably go for the doube bank on the nine. If not, it'd just go away.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

...the reason that most of us aren't mentioning that shot, is because that shot doesn't have to be resorted to in this spot - since there are offensive opportunitys available....if there were no offensive opportunitys available, then kicking that striped ball away would be the very common defensive shot to be chosen here.

- Ghost

thanks ghost:)
at least you didnt think it was one of these:D
cc1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm guessing that the rock would've hit the stripe after contact and maybe came downtable for a shot at Scotts pocket if Efren missed the 8.

View attachment 4277
Cutting the 8 ball in for Reyes is definitely an option, but even Reyes can't disregard the angle he will be going into the stripe after contacting the 8 ball. He can go into the stripe three ways, thinly, 1/4 of the ball, or directly into the side of the ball. He can possibly get a double kiss hitting 1/4 of the ball if it is close or frozen, and he certainly won't like that. The other two ways are workable. I'm assuming he was shooting into a possible double kiss with the cue ball and decided it wasn't worth the risk. I guess he should of tried it, the way things turned out.

Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

- Ghost
I agree totally, it was definitely an option, but one further down the line of others.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In regard to the three rail option:eek: I would opt to two rail kick it out of there before attempting that shot. Rod's right on with his reasons.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The reason why this shot is not one of the better options is because you have less control of the kicked ball then you need. The 8 ball is a problem ball if the kick option is chosen. If you happen to kick the stripe into the 8 ball you could possibly lose THREE balls. :eek: Now would you like that?

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
and ah, excuse me, but I don't think Efren's pocket speed would be off enough for the cueball to bounce back up almost a diamond, to where your arrows have indicated it would have...:rolleyes:.
- Ghost

And just how many examples of Efrens speed being off by a diamond do you need to see to convince you that it could easily happen???:):p:D

Cowboy "got all the time in the world" Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And just how many examples of Efrens speed being off by a diamond do you need to see to convince you that it could easily happen???:):p:D

Cowpoke.....The point is, it's all about likelihood and percentages - if you were to show me, let's say for example, 10 times that Efrens speed was off by a diamond, correspondingly there'd be about 500 times that his pocket speed was perfect or not more than an inch off...:)

- Geaust

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
why??

Larry,

In my opinion the stripe ball is good for both players... Not only Scott. (Even though it is closer to Scott's side) It banks or cuts to Efren's pocket.

Given that Efren only has a 1 ball lead having another ball in the open is a good thing. If he made the 2 railer he could still cut that ball towards his hole.

If he had a larger lead it might be time for defense.

Dud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
why??

Sorry for the confusing post #31. I was thinking Larry was referencing two different kicks. The first was the stripe to the right of the cue ball. I believed he was suggesting to back kick that stripe toward his pocket narrowly passing the 8 ball.:eek: (which also is an option) The other kick was the two rail kick on the 13 ball, removing it from Scott's side of the table. Sorry Larry, you were really suggesting to back kick the 13 ball using the foot rail as the first rail struck. That option is a good option, but as The Ghost said not as good as some of the other options. So when I explained why the first kick was not a good option I believe I confused people and I probably did, my bad, I was locked into what I was thinking you were saying, when I should of read your post more carefully.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
evaluate all balls

evaluate all balls

Larry,

In my opinion the stripe ball is good for both players... Not only Scott. (Even though it is closer to Scott's side) It banks or cuts to Efren's pocket.

Given that Efren only has a 1 ball lead having another ball in the open is a good thing. If he made the 2 railer he could still cut that ball towards his hole.

Dud
Good observation, especially with upper echelon players. As a rule of thumb a 2 to 1 lead in balls is not a big enough lead to change strategy, and should be treated as if the game were tied. As a rule of thumb. And your observation on why the 13 ball was good for both players was right on and also supports why Reyes chose the option that he did. By Z banking the 8 ball Reyes was thinking that if missed not only would Scott have to defend against the missed 8 ball but also against the 13 ball.;)

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Dennis, if Reyes would of chosen the 8 ball option, and as a result the cue ball would of been double kissed by the stripe he was going into, then even a soft speed would of been a sell out.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sorry for the confusing post #31. I was thinking Larry was referencing two different kicks. The first was the stripe to the right of the cue ball. I believed he was suggesting to back kick that stripe toward his pocket narrowly passing the 8 ball.:eek: (which also is an option) The other kick was the two rail kick on the 13 ball, removing it from Scott's side of the table. Sorry Larry, you were really suggesting to back kick the 13 ball using the foot rail as the first rail struck. That option is a good option, but as The Ghost said not as good as some of the other options. So when I explained why the first kick was not a good option I believe I confused people and I probably did, my bad, I was locked into what I was thinking you were saying, when I should of read your post more carefully.

Billy I.

billy i was thinking you may have had a senior moment when i read that post:lol

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry,

Dud

good points
as you mentioned and billy emphasized if efren did get a ball closer to his hole
scott would have to be mindfull of the 13 when playing safe

i guess i saw the 13 close to scotts hole and wanted it out of there since that to me was the only "threatening" ball.
im glad you guys are teaching and im learning:)