Did BD Dis the onepocket.org HOF?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
So, I'm thumbing through the most recent copy of BD (Sept '11) and get to Mike Panozzo's, "From the Publisher" column. It's about the induction of Danny D and Ralph Souquet into the BCA HOF and it's a very nice column and all and then I get to the next to last sentence which goes:

"So now, Souquet joins the list of primarily American pool stars in the sport's only true Hall of Fame."

I know there's some disagreement in the sport over Charlie Williams' new 14.1 HOF, but I thought he was out of line in regards to the one pocket.org HOF.

What say you?

Lou Figueroa

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
I would think he was taking a "shot" at Charlie Williams. I don't normally pay attention to the HOFs, but HOW is there a 14.1 HOF and "Willie" not the first inductee? Anyhow, you know to the guys that make balls in order one pocket is not "legit" pool.

Skin

Verified Member
In the year of our Lord 1432, there arose a grievous quarrel among the brethren over the number of teeth in the mouth of a horse. For thirteen days the disputation raged without ceasing. All the ancient books and chronicles were fetched out, and wonderful and ponderous erudition such as was never before heard of in this region was made manifest. At the beginning of the fourteenth day, a youthful friar of goodly bearing asked his learned superiors for permission to add a word, and straightway, to the wonderment of the disputants, whose deep wisdom he sore vexed, he beseeched them to unbend in a manner coarse and unheard-of and to look in the open mouth of a horse and find answer to their questionings. At this, their dignity being grievously hurt, they waxed exceeding wroth; and, joining in a mighty uproar, they flew upon him and smote him, hip and thigh, and cast him out forthwith. For, said they, surely Satan hath tempted this bold neophyte to declare unholy and unheard-of ways of finding truth, contrary to all the teachings of the fathers. After many days more of grievous strife, the dove of peace sat on the assembly, and they as one man declaring the problem to be an everlasting mystery because of a grievous dearth of historical and theological evidence thereof, so ordered the same writ down.

-attributed to Francis Bacon (probably apocryphal)

Moral: just ask Panozzo.

Youthful Friar Skin :rolleyes:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
In the year of our Lord 1432, there arose a grievous quarrel among the brethren over the number of teeth in the mouth of a horse. For thirteen days the disputation raged without ceasing. All the ancient books and chronicles were fetched out, and wonderful and ponderous erudition such as was never before heard of in this region was made manifest. At the beginning of the fourteenth day, a youthful friar of goodly bearing asked his learned superiors for permission to add a word, and straightway, to the wonderment of the disputants, whose deep wisdom he sore vexed, he beseeched them to unbend in a manner coarse and unheard-of and to look in the open mouth of a horse and find answer to their questionings. At this, their dignity being grievously hurt, they waxed exceeding wroth; and, joining in a mighty uproar, they flew upon him and smote him, hip and thigh, and cast him out forthwith. For, said they, surely Satan hath tempted this bold neophyte to declare unholy and unheard-of ways of finding truth, contrary to all the teachings of the fathers. After many days more of grievous strife, the dove of peace sat on the assembly, and they as one man declaring the problem to be an everlasting mystery because of a grievous dearth of historical and theological evidence thereof, so ordered the same writ down.

-attributed to Francis Bacon (probably apocryphal)

Moral: just ask Panozzo.

Youthful Friar Skin :rolleyes:

I found this to be wonderful and it would be applicable to several of the threads here recently. ;)
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lfigueroa said:
So, I'm thumbing through the most recent copy of BD (Sept '11) and get to Mike Panozzo's, "From the Publisher" column. It's about the induction of Danny D and Ralph Souquet into the BCA HOF and it's a very nice column and all and then I get to the next to last sentence which goes:

"So now, Souquet joins the list of primarily American pool stars in the sport's only true Hall of Fame."

I know there's some disagreement in the sport over Charlie Williams' new 14.1 HOF, but I thought he was out of line in regards to the one pocket.org HOF.

What say you?

Lou Figueroa
The main press does by and large fawn over the BCA HOF and not give much coverage to the One Pocket HOF. I just think they (mainstream press & BCA) have been so intertwined for so long they cannot help themselves. That is why I appreciate the coverage some quarters do give us... thank you.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
The main press does by and large fawn over the BCA HOF and not give much coverage to the One Pocket HOF. I just think they (mainstream press & BCA) have been so intertwined for so long they cannot help themselves. That is why I appreciate the coverage some quarters do give us... thank you.

Personally I think as the publisher of BD, the main pool rag, Panozzo should be a bit more even handed on this subject. As I said, and John pointed out, there is some quarrel over CW's new 14.1 HOF. But the one pocket.org HOF has been around for a while now and should not be so easily and throughly dismissed.

Lou Figueroa

markgriffin

Verified Member
Hof

Hof

I think there is a lot of difference between Bca and one pocket HOF.

There is room for both because they address a lot of different players and different games.

On the other hand, CW HOF is a total joke and all it does is degrade the value of the proper HOF's.

I am in no way am trying to dismiss mr. Martin's contributions. He is a great player and more - but the 14.1 new HOF is totally not needed.

Mark griffin

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
As a life-long salesman, I see most problems as problems of communication. It might be worthwhile to make a concerted effort to develop and maintain a relationship with the mainstreem pool and billiard media. A little networking can go a long way.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
markgriffin said:

There is room for both because they address a lot of different players and different games.

On the other hand, CW HOF is a total joke and all it does is degrade the value of the proper HOF's.

I am in no way am trying to dismiss mr. Martin's contributions. He is a great player and more - but the 14.1 new HOF is totally not needed.

Mark griffin
Thank you Mark -- that is certainly the idea. It only makes sense for the BCA HOF to focus on the "clean image" side of pool & the industry favorites. One Pocket resides much more on the action side of the game. That is why the BCA HOF and the One Pocket HOF make good contrast, not conflict.

cuesmith

Verified Member
markgriffin said:

Mark griffin
I find this to be true with most things CW is involved in!

Sherm