Newb Hit A Good One

mosconiac

Verified Member
I'm not much of a 1P player, but I'm trying hard to improve & learn this game (I run a league out of my local poolhall so I can keep learning).

I was playing a seasoned player last night & hit one of the best shots of my life. I've always been a decent "kicker" (purely math-based stuff), but I've learned a lot of practical knowledge from "Little" Joe Villalpando.

Below is what I faced a few shots into the game. After a mediocre break by my opponent, I was able to clear all balls from his side...and put most of them on my side. What you see on page 1 is the result of his bank to his hole.

I knew I had to clear the 4B, but didn't want to scratch so I went lightly into it.

My opponent responded by clearing the 10B from my side & sticking my back on the rack. Oops, I should have avoided that!

Knowing it would get worse from here, I decided to go for a clearance right now on the 4B. Check pages 2 & 3 for what happened.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA3DVtQ2EUdn4FAEt4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe4JbPw4KCpd3LBKO4MNhI4NBal3OBJl4PEUN3XVtQ3XalI3XYGF4kEUN4kbiI3kNUk3kThV@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA3DYOF2EUdn4FAEt4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe4JbPw4KCpd3LBKO4MNhI4NBal3OBJl3PThW4ebPw4eQbI3kThW4kYlK4kcGM4kFCH@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA3DYOF2EUdn4FAEt4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe4JQSJ4KCpd3LBKO4MNhI4NBal3OBJl4PFCI3XYOF3XbKH4XNtn4XbSX4kFCI4kbxu3kJdl3kVlB3kail2kSdQ@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
mosconiac said:
I'm not much of a 1P player, but I'm trying hard to improve & learn this game (I run a league out of my local poolhall so I can keep learning).

I was playing a seasoned player last night & hit one of the best shots of my life. I've always been a decent "kicker" (purely math-based stuff), but I've learned a lot of practical knowledge from "Little" Joe Villalpando.

Below is what I faced a few shots into the game. After a mediocre break by my opponent, I was able to clear all balls from his side...and put most of them on my side. What you see on page 1 is the result of his bank to his hole.

I knew I had to clear the 4B, but didn't want to scratch so I went lightly into it.

My opponent responded by clearing the 10B from my side & sticking my back on the rack. Oops, I should have avoided that!

Knowing it would get worse from here, I decided to go for a clearance right now on the 4B. Check pages 2 & 3 for what happened.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA3DVtQ2EUdn4FAEt4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe4JbPw4KCpd3LBKO4MNhI4NBal3OBJl4PEUN3XVtQ3XalI3XYGF4kEUN4kbiI3kNUk3kThV@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA3DYOF2EUdn4FAEt4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe4JbPw4KCpd3LBKO4MNhI4NBal3OBJl3PThW4ebPw4eQbI3kThW4kYlK4kcGM4kFCH@4AALW4BCpA3CCYA3DYOF2EUdn4FAEt4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe4JQSJ4KCpd3LBKO4MNhI4NBal3OBJl4PFCI3XYOF3XbKH4XNtn4XbSX4kFCI4kbxu3kJdl3kVlB3kail2kSdQ@[/CUETABLE]
Those are a very nice pair of shots by you and a pretty good one from him too!

Dennis

treeMan

Verified Member
Like Chris Gentile

Like Chris Gentile

I was watching some us open matches posted by TAR/Cali (thanks guys it is awesome to be able to watch those), and saw Chris put that shot on Alex; he didn't make it but got it on his side and the cue got safe.

When I saw that I thought to myself: "damn he went for that". If I'm feeling real good I'll try a one rail kick bank but a two rail kick bank ?!#%&$!

Great shot by you to make it!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
mosconiac said:
I've always been a decent "kicker" (purely math-based stuff),

want to share your "math based stuff" how you calculated to hit it???:)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Mosconiac. Nice shot
A very good example of how to get away from head ball or kick breaks.
As pictured below.
Rod.

Attachments

• map 003.jpg
    map 003.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0

mosconiac

Verified Member
I put this illustration together to demonstrate how I calculate these types of kicks...but I changed it a bit so it's more easily imagined. I just treat the table as a grid & calculate the number of diamonds I need to move the CB in X&Y coordinates, determine the ratio, & calculate the number of diamonds to offset on the first rail.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
My head hurts. You're sayin' you have to go 2 diamonds to the side rail in the vertical and 4 diamond to the opposite rail, right? Then you have to go two diamonds to the bottom rail in the horizontal and 1/2 more to hit the 4 which is on the 1/2 diamond path up from the rail, right? Then you calculate the ratio between the two numbers to give you .416, right? Then you double that because the cb is 2 diamonds away from the end rail, right? I just have to try this until I get it. It sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Verified Member
You got it petie...here's another example to further illustrate the math.

There are two ways to attack this kick, 2-rails & 3-rails. Each way is pretty easy to calculate...if you just give it a chance. Pretty soon the calcs become second nature & come very quick.

Naturally, this system will break down in certain cases due to the natural spin the CB picks up off the rails, which bend it away from the mathematically perfect lines. Also, slick cloth can be a challenge.