Handicapping Question

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Finally, after 2 yrs you said something that made sense, and that I can agree with. To any seeker of knowledge, that is sage advice.

Beard

A curious mind should wonder why that is.

Skin,

Please disregard my entire post #17. I was drunk and on heavy medication.

Otherwise, how could I possibly have said ANYTHING the Beardman agrees with..:eek:

San <---deepest apologies if I mis-lead anyone.

beatle

Verified Member
if you can beat someone even than most times you can beat them giving 9 to 8. that is true. but only for those cases that you can beat them 9 to 8. you should have said if you can beat them giving 9 to 8 then you can beat them even. that would be true.

to make an analogy, suppose you could beat someone in a foot race. does that mean you can spot them a half a second as well. maybe, but may be not.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Skin,

I have always felt, that anyone I can beat even, I can give up 9/8. And that goes likewise for anyone who can beat me even.
The big difference is when you start talking 9/7, 8/6, all the breaks, etc.

I know, for example, anyone I have way the best of it with, I was always (well almost always) able to go up in the balls I needed, compared to the balls the avg. B or C player needed to make. For instance, if I could keep the guy going to 8 balls, I could often go well into the teens, before he could get 8.

A big difference, IMO....is when you start matching up those 8/4, 8/5, type games. I'm sure Rod, Senor, and others will agree, thats a whole different ball game.

Your margin for error, or risky shot taking...goes way down. Even if you are playing a novice 1P player, if he can draw his ball, he'll get some if you screw up too much.

I have given up some ungodly spots, but you really need to be careful. Because as long as the guy you are playing, has even minimal smarts and pool skills, he will figure out that you are rarely going to put a 10-12, or 14 and out on him.
Henceforth, while he knows he can't out move you...HIS risk reward goes way up, and if he figures that out...you could be in big trouble if you have money frozen up.

I point these things out, not only from the outlook of the better player, but for the weaker player's to help them match up better.

San <---may have become a "knocker" in his old age..:eek:
dick if you want to recant some of this post would you critique what you consider sound advice even if given in a clouded state of mind,?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dick if you want to recant some of this post would you critique what you consider sound advice even if given in a clouded state of mind,?

Larry,

The Sand Belt Lunatic has been posting for years in a clouded state of mind. There is no difference between this post and any others.

The primary point is that all players who beat someone even, think that they can also beat them 9-8 after that. That's quite frequently true, but not necessarily true in all cases. One case in point: If you played someone even for 30 hours, and wound up 13 games ahead. If you gave that person 9-8 next time, you would probably lose. It all depends on how you won and how long it took. But still, most good players feel like they can give up 9-8 to a guy they beat even, generally speaking.

P.S. His post that you quoted actually made rare sense, coming from him.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

The Sand Belt Lunatic has been posting for years in a clouded state of mind. There is no difference between this post and any others.

The primary point is that all players who beat someone even, think that they can also beat them 9-8 after that. That's quite frequently true, but not necessarily true in all cases. One case in point: If you played someone even for 30 hours, and wound up 13 games ahead. If you gave that person 9-8 next time, you would probably lose. It all depends on how you won and how long it took. But still, most good players feel like they can give up 9-8 to a guy they beat even, generally speaking.

P.S. His post that you quoted actually made rare sense, coming from him.

Dennis

Thats it !!!... Now you have pissed me off. Even at my advanced age of 63, I have taken the heat...my nose is open... You have got 9/8, for an evening with Bubbles. ( 6 ahead of course)

PS...Bubbles will give me an exact dimension of your "Johnson"...which I will post on You-tube..:eek:

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Skin,

I have always felt, that anyone I can beat even, I can give up 9/8. And that goes likewise for anyone who can beat me even.
The big difference is when you start talking 9/7, 8/6, all the breaks, etc.

I know, for example, anyone I have way the best of it with, I was always (well almost always) able to go up in the balls I needed, compared to the balls the avg. B or C player needed to make. For instance, if I could keep the guy going to 8 balls, I could often go well into the teens, before he could get 8.

A big difference, IMO....is when you start matching up those 8/4, 8/5, type games. I'm sure Rod, Senor, and others will agree, thats a whole different ball game.

Your margin for error, or risky shot taking...goes way down. Even if you are playing a novice 1P player, if he can draw his ball, he'll get some if you screw up too much.

I have given up some ungodly spots, but you really need to be careful. Because as long as the guy you are playing, has even minimal smarts and pool skills, he will figure out that you are rarely going to put a 10-12, or 14 and out on him.
Henceforth, while he knows he can't out move you...HIS risk reward goes way up, and if he figures that out...you could be in big trouble if you have money frozen up.

I point these things out, not only from the outlook of the better player, but for the weaker player's to help them match up better.

San <---may have become a "knocker" in his old age..:eek:
dick i must admit i never thought about new york blackies odds of runnining 10 and out when he spotted me 10-4. i never thought about going for "high risk low reward " shots because i felt if i gave him a chance he would get X number of balls and then i would be trying to breath. why is that not true??? giving the lower spot i agree can be trickie since even c players can run 4 balls. so 10- 8 or 10-6 is always better than 8 -5. imho your feed back is greatly appreciated. sometimes you should let dennis's comments roll off your back like a duck does to water:D :eek:

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
giving up a spot

giving up a spot

beatle said:
the best way to handicap is to learn to judge how much better someone plays than you and know how to translate that into balls of spot. you take in to effect how he plays others and how they play you. then how your two styles will affect the outcome.

then add a ball or two so you have the best of it or why waste your time. then add a little so if you are off your game or he is on you still win. then add a little in case he gets lucky. then add a little so you can get him stuck right away so he goes off.
then add some more so you can stall and not show your speed so this game doesnt ruin all the others you play.

OMG ... so true, gimme 20 to 8

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Someone has dredged up a two year old thread, that may well have been the ebryonic beggining of the Beardmonster and my ongoing war of words. (actually, more like a slaughter, him of course being the slaughteree) :D :D :D

See posts 17, 20, and 21..Please ignore the ensuing posts by a somewhat green RBL. He could barely form sentences that early on...:p

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Where's the Love?

Where's the Love?

Uncle Dick, just tell me which one of these guys to "whack"!:D :cool:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Please ignore the ensuing posts by a somewhat green RBL. He could barely form sentences that early on...:p
Dear Mallard Breath,

I agreed with your assessment that most players who beat someone even think they can give the guy 9-8. You tell people to ignore my statements AGREEING with you??? You are slipping further away from us every day:p .

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Bufflohead said:
He's got a long "whack list" BH, it'll keep you busy for a long time. I'm waaaaaaaaay down at the bottom of it, just below the Pope.

P.S. What is a Bufflohead?

RBL

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Bufflohead said:

I've been trying to keep you under wraps...But, actually there are several... The Rust Belt Lunatic (Cowgirl Dennis) is first, his address is "Skidrow", Detroit...While you're back east, I have a lot of other "work" for you..:eek:

(actually, skidrow encompasses the entire city of Detroit, but you should have no trouble finding him, as there are only 8 people still living there. (soon to be 7)