Strawberry Brooks vs. Cliff Joyner 1995 Roanoke

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's game 3 and Brooks is in the middle of a run. What would you do from here? You can shoot the 5 and hit the 2,12,14 off the end-rail and have a shot at the 10 or you can shoot the 10 and hit the 2,12,14 off the side-rail and have a shot at the 5 from there or you can do something else. What would you do?

SB's Run.jpg

The co-commentators suggested either this shot:

One Possibility.jpg

Or this shot:

Another Possibility.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if the commentators suggested going into the cluster now
ill defer to their expertise and ask you to explain it to me:confused:
id clean up the 6 loose balls first
ive got alot to learn:eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:

The thread said in the middle of a run. I agree with Larry , lets get a few of these.
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
lll said:
if the commentators suggested going into the cluster now
ill defer to their expertise and ask you to explain it to me:confused:
Larry it's going to be difficult to get behind those balls that are in the open. By hitting the stack and getting some balls opened up that might give him a better opportunity to get behind those balls. With the insurance of the 10 ball or the five ball after hitting the stack there will be many more options.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would shoot the 5 and then the 10 and bank the 13 and hopefully get a good shot at the 6, or at least the top stripe in that combination, if it goes. When I run out of shots I am going uptable with the cb. This is sweet. Hit and run - right up my alley. :D

andyk

From
Tucson, Az
I like the first choice: shooting the 5 first and trying to break out the cluster. The 10 ball is a pretty good insurance ball once you go into the stack. If by chance you hit the stack a little funny, for example clipping the edge of the 14, the cue ball may end of on the side rail giving you a shot on one of those two clustered stripes (the 15 and 11?) if they go... it's a little hard to tell by the picture... With the second choice, I think one runs the risk of either ending up on the bottom rail behind the six (if whitey follows the diagramed trajectory) where possibly nothing goes clean or behind the 15 and 11 but with the 5 ball blocking a clean shot to the pocket. Either way you are almost guaranteed another good shot, but there may be less chance of something going wrong with the first choice. But who knows, maybe he'll just cross the 13 :rolleyes:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 3 and Brooks is in the middle of a run. What would you do from here? You can shoot the 5 and hit the 2,12,14 off the end-rail and have a shot at the 10 or you can shoot the 10 and hit the 2,12,14 off the side-rail and have a shot at the 5 from there or you can do something else. What would you do?

View attachment 3720

The co-commentators suggested either this shot:

View attachment 3721

Or this shot:

View attachment 3722
I'd shoot the 10 first and get an angle on the 5 to draw back betwen the 13 and 15.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
when I looked at this shot, before scrolling down and reading any comments, I had decided what I would do.

Then I scrolled down and read the comments and came to androd's post. Thanks to him, I don't have to diagram my shot.:D

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
CaliRed said:
when I looked at this shot, before scrolling down and reading any comments, I had decided what I would do.

Then I scrolled down and read the comments and came to androd's post. Thanks to him, I don't have to diagram my shot.:D

Same here Cali, the 5 is the first ball to shoot, whether you hit the stack or play position on the 10. The 10 first into the stack is nothing but trouble. If the angle was there to draw off the 5 behind the 15 and 13? I might do that.

It depends on how those two balls are spaced. I think its very possible to get all 6 lower balls. It might be all he needed. If not his last two open balls can be banked and hide behind the stack.

Rod

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
frank and andyk thanks for explaining why going into the stack now rather than later could be a good thing.
frank as rods post shows it may not be so difficult to get the cue to go between the 13 and 15 to get behind them
in this case i still think id clean up before hitting the stack

i also didnt go from the 9 to the 6
or shoot the 6 (but i was tempted)
in those other threads

senor

Verified Member
Not that I need 100% chance for success to shoot a certain shot, but I don't see how running into the cluster will guarantee enough spread for a shot. Ideally, the 2 ball will go the way Dennis diagrammed, but it doesn't have to.

I would seriously consider shooting the 5 and drawing the cue ball back between the 6/13 for position on one of those balls, and insurance with the 10. Get any kind of angle on the 13, and you might be able to open up the two stripes or the stack.

bstroud

Verified Member
You shoot the 5 and play position on the 10 so you can get cue ball position on the two stripes 15/12?. These balls are the key to running out.

You use one for position on the 6 and the stripe and the other to open up the stack with position on the 14.

The rest should be easy.

Bill Stroud

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
androd said:
The thread said in the middle of a run. I agree with Larry , lets get a few of these.
Rod.

Rod, on your diagram you show two positions for the shot on the ten ball. One with a circle and one with and arrow head. For me definitely the one with the arrow head would require for me to use the bridge because I'm right handed. This shot to get behind the balls may prove to be too much of a challenge with the crutch.

If I was left handed then it looks like a piece of cake. Our shot selections should take these things into consideration.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank Almanza said:
Rod, on your diagram you show two positions for the shot on the ten ball. One with a circle and one with and arrow head. For me definitely the one with the arrow head would require for me to use the bridge because I'm right handed. This shot to get behind the balls may prove to be too much of a challenge with the crutch.

If I was left handed then it looks like a piece of cake. Our shot selections should take these things into consideration.

You're absolutely right Frank. I should've shot the 5 ball a little harder.
In actual fact that's something I'm very aware of when playing as I don't shoot well stretched out. :D

mosconiac

Verified Member
Vapros posted my answer...clear the 5/10, bank the 13 for shape behind the 11/15 before dropping down for the 6.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
My mistake, the commentators didn't say the 10 and then into the stack would be a good shot, only the 5 ball was agreed to by them. I'm not sure how Strawberry was trying to play shapes here. It's hard to tell if he was trying to go between the 14/15 or the 11/13. Either way, he didn't get there.

SB's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left it:

SB's Leave.Jpeg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Rod.

he should have played it like rod using franks astute observation to hit it alittle harder so you dont need the rake:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
My mistake, the commentators didn't say the 10 and then into the stack would be a good shot, only the 5 ball was agreed to by them. I'm not sure how Strawberry was trying to play shapes here. It's hard to tell if he was trying to go between the 14/15 or the 11/13. Either way, he didn't get there.

View attachment 3731

Here's how he left it:

View attachment 3730
So he shot the 5 in first and then appears to have tried to open things up a bit with the 10. Like you all have suggested, if he had just shot the 10 first, he would have still had the 5 as an insurance ball -- whole different game!

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
I uploaded this video of game 3 between Strawberry and Joyner a few weeks ago. I worked with Strawberry back in 1991, would anybody like to see game #4 uploaded to YouTube? I'm thinking of uploading a few others from Allen Hopkins and Shannon Daulton soon as well.