Play "The Beard"s Shark or No Shark game !

John Brumback

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Alright John, you got me. I'll come clean and be totally honest here. I can not tell a lie....

Fred is really...........NOT Guilty! :D

I'll forever be the "hung" juror who, no matter "what say ye the evidence", will always vote to exonerate the Beard. Meritorious service to pooldom & friendship not withstanding!

"Not Guilty" your honor! Release that innocent man!

In my best Ronald Reagon voice of typing......
"Mr. Cali-Red.....Tear down those walls! Er, I mean videos!"

Terry,I hate to have to ask but I got to..What the heck did Freddie teach you or give you??? Must have been some good stuff!! LOL To funny.John B.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Not guilty... or... maybe Fred got stuck bending over to adjust the cases/whatever under the table. We use to always store our stuff under the table during matches.
The benefit of the doubt for Fred. He was adjusting the cases to ge them out of the way and got stuck in the 'bent over' postition. ;)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just realized what I was doing...

Just realized what I was doing...

...I had a habit of putting my cue case and my coat under whatever table I was playing on if I was in a strange joint. (To discourage the local thieves of course) In those days I happened to be a fan of enhancements, so I was probably just digging around in my coat for the 1 gram vial. :rolleyes:

Beard

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
i think it would have been better if he had crawled completely under the table from one side to the other and come out with a piece of chalk. I might try it.

cuesmith

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
allright, as promised... I edited out that random clip I found of Freddy. I had mentioned that I found what appeared to be a "move" by Freddy, that had me laughing my ass off. I went on to describe it in great detail... but now, you can see for yourself.

Keep in mind, this just so happens to be the game ball too:)

You can read this page to get up to speed on this video.

So have some fun and post what you think it was... Shark or No Shark !!

(Video clip from US Open Onepocket Championship collection, courtesy of Sappo)

[youtube]oXnKWHGzaEc[/youtube]

I've seen him do a lot worse. He calls it "gamesmanship" lol. When he and Gary were playing in the finals of a bank tournament, many years ago, he was sitting right in Gary's field of vision any time he'd sit down and once pulled a big over-sized handkerchief out of his pocket and shook it out like he was waving a flag and another time he struck about 3 big wooden kitchen matches together to light a cigarette just as Gary was getting ready to "pull the trigger". He would also slow Gary waaaaay down and would stand right next to the table after he missed and when Gary got down to shoot he'd start limping around the table using the rails like a crutch. Since I was staking Gary, at the time, I wanted to wring his neck on the spot, but now I look back on it and just have to chuckle. I like Freddy and realize he'd just do what you would let him get away with and like I said I now find it hilarious. I haven't seen him use the "gamesmanship" in many years. He may have only used the technique when on his home court.
God bless ya Freddy! lol

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
...I had a habit of putting my cue case and my coat under whatever table I was playing on if I was in a strange joint. (To discourage the local thieves of course) In those days I happened to be a fan of enhancements, so I was probably just digging around in my coat for the 1 gram vial. :rolleyes:

Beard
I think that is certainly a plausible theory Freddy and I could go on board with that.

BUT

we still got one teeny weeny issue at hand here:).... which is the timing of said "enhancement run". First, all of us pool players know, and it's ingrained in our brain, that us being anywhere at the table when our opponent is shooting, is considered unethical and therefore falls in the area of sharking. Now, this post is not about the ethics of sharking, so let's forget all that and look at the other clues.

Let's for arguments sake, say that Freddy was wanting to get a extra "boost" to help him put away Richie once and for all. And that said "boost" was under the table in his cue case or jacket. He needs to get to his jacket or cue case to get the vial, so he question is when will he do this.

1. Will he get this at the end of the game? (remember there is only one ball left on the table.. probably going to be over soon) This would provide him with free and clear access to his cue case and it would seem the perfect time to do it.

2. Will he get this when it's his turn at the table.. once again, a perfect time to get it.

3. OR, will he go for it, when the game ball is on the line, with his opponent ready to shoot? It's a big game in a race to 4, it would be a big swing for him or against him.

After these new developments that have came to light, involving some mind altering medication, I now have concluded these 2 scenarios are most likely what happened.

1. Freddy was after his fix and he could get it when it was his turn or after the game was over or wait !!!!! He could do it while Richie was shooting at the game ball. So he went for it at that particular time knowing full well that he would be sharking Richie, but oh well:).. he was still going to sleep fine that night.

2. Freddy was in a altered state of mind and his desire to get that fix was strong enough, that getting it was all that was on his mind. He didn't intentionally do it to shark Richie,he just wasn't even thinking about that he was committing a pool no-no. His mind said "Hey.. why don't you hit that vial once, I need a fresh shot to pick me up and I'm going to kick his ass after I take it" So following what his mind was telling him, he bent down and fumbled around till he found it, got it, got up and went back to his chair.

This detective work is fun:D

(Freddy.. I hope your enjoying this too. I noted you used a Sarcastic face at the end of your post, so that made me wonder if you are having fun with this. You've made no secret that you employed all tactics to win, as did many of your opponents. So because you have openly admitted and even said that your damn good at sharking, I felt we could all have some fun with this. When the forum gets slow, we sometimes tend to get a little off beat on our topics:eek:. ) I think it's about petered out anyways. I know I've milking it for about all I can.. I'm out of material.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
cuesmith said:
I've seen him do a lot worse. He calls it "gamesmanship" lol. When he and Gary were playing in the finals of a bank tournament, many years ago, he was sitting right in Gary's field of vision any time he'd sit down and once pulled a big over-sized handkerchief out of his pocket and shook it out like he was waving a flag and another time he struck about 3 big wooden kitchen matches together to light a cigarette just as Gary was getting ready to "pull the trigger". He would also slow Gary waaaaay down and would stand right next to the table after he missed and when Gary got down to shoot he'd start limping around the table using the rails like a crutch. Since I was staking Gary, at the time, I wanted to wring his neck on the spot, but now I look back on it and just have to chuckle. I like Freddy and realize he'd just do what you would let him get away with and like I said I now find it hilarious. I haven't seen him use the "gamesmanship" in many years. He may have only used the technique when on his home court.
God bless ya Freddy! lol

haha... those are some funny ones to picture. That is what it boils down to.. there's nothing wrong with seeing what you can get away with. I think sharking is a art and needs to be honed to be good at it. You got to practice as much as you can:D Anyone can do the blatant sharking, its the guys that have all the subtle ones, that impress me. The ones that have that can pull off the "who me" look with sincerity. The ones that can look at you with a straight face and say "Oh.. sorry.. didn't know I doing that"

hehe... the thoughts of those days from years gone by bring a smile to my face. I think it's important for not only the sharker to get credit for being good at it, but also the sharkee should get credit. The sharker can be so good at his craft, that it takes a good sharkee is be equally good at recognizing them.

RedCard

Verified Member
'...another time he struck about 3 big wooden kitchen matches together to light a cigarette just as Gary was...'. ~~ cuesmith

I don't smoke cigarettes but this is going to cause me to de-closet my sneaky and attempt a one-night resumption of my formerly fair bar table game. I'll offer to give up the joint if they converge on me. It'll simply be yet another green Valley I'm not allowed to rule.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Utley J Puckett, was also a master sharker of the first order. He only used his various service station uniforms around strange big city bars. When he was in a small town, he was a fisherman, replete in fishing hat, lures dangling, and sometimes, if there was water close by...even wet wading boots.

He stumbled into a small town bar one day, and soon was hustled by a barefoot kid, probably not old enough to be in the joint. After all, he was in northern Arkansas, and the wearing of shoes was considered optional..None the less the kid wanted to bet pretty high, and challenged U.J. to some $10 9-ball.

The game commenced, and U.J. was a little upset to see the kid running out from everywhere. He tried his usual stuff, even got a little tushy, all to no avail... After losing about 5 in a row, U.J. sidled over to the bar and bought a pack of cigarettes. He had never smoked in his life, but he would fire one up, take a few puffs, and drop it on the concrete floor...He did this several times in a row, until he finally got the desired results...The kid was jumping straight up in the air, when his bare feet contacted a hot butt.

After about the 3rd time, the kid became so concerned with where he was stepping, he couldn't make a ball, and Puckett finally won a few games back.
All of a sudden, the kid says, "Dagnabbit, lets us'n just play a race to 5 for a $100"...U.J. thinking he had him weakened now, said "y'all got a bet young 'un.

The money was posted, and the kid went over to a friend, and borrowed a pair of shoes, and proceeded to shoot U.J.'s nuts off...Final score..5 to 1...:rolleyes:

That was U.J.'s first meeting with "Country Calvin Harcrow". I think his brother David told me that story. Hope you enjoyed it.

PS..By the way, yours truly played Mr.Puckett several times, before we became good friends...None of the wins were easy, He would pull out all the shark moves, (some very original)...and afterwards, the bite was brutal... But he was a good guy to have on your side in a strange spot.....RIP "Ugly" (our pet name for him, but not to his face :))

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The greatest shark move I ever saw was when Alphonse "Fonzi" Daniels was playing One-Pocket on a 5' x10' table in my joint, North Shore Billiards, with a high-roller named "Watusi." Watusi was being spotted 8 to 7, and with two balls left on the table, he was frozen to the back rail with a long shot to his pocket and his game ball. Fonzi had his game ball also hanging in his pocket; but if Watusi made his shot he would win the game.
Sweat poured off Watusi's forehead as he stroked and stroked at the ball. They were betting very high, and this was a critical game to win. Watusi finally began to deliver the stick to the cue ball. At the exact instant the cue tip was about to make contact with the cue ball, Fonzi quietly remarked, "You better chalk up." Watusi miscued so badly that the cue ball didn't travel over a foot. Fonzi shot in the hanger to win and deadpanned, "I warned you."

Beard

(sp)County Calvin's last name was Hargrove.

Attachments

• 8 Alphonse Daniels (292 x 600).jpg
    8 Alphonse Daniels (292 x 600).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Unbelivably...

Unbelivably...

SJDinPHX said:
View attachment 3681

Then they've both been spelling it wrong all their live's (not impossible)... David Harcrow and I exchange e-mails and PM's all the time..;)

PS..Heres an old war story David posted, a few yrs. ago, involving the 3 of us..

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=1619087&postcount=1

...you are part right. I somehow knew Harcrowe was wrong, so I looked it up on Steve's Pool Nickname Page in a file I had. (I did notice that you edited your post to correct the spelling of Calvin's last name. My incorrect correction was based on your original misspelling)
I played Country Calvin many times, as he hustled a lot around the Hot Springs AR area in the 80s and 90s when there was good action around there. Calvin was also a very big fan of enhancement. Matter of fact, I never got to play him when he was un-enhanced.

Beard

However, in those days I was also a fan of enhancement, so there was no significant edge to anybody in that dept. Although, if we rated our condition by floors, you could say I was hovering around the 5th floor, while Calvin was looking down onto the roof.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
...you are part right. I somehow knew Harcrowe was wrong, so I looked it up on Steve's Pool Nickname Page in a file I had.
I played Country Calvin many times, as he hustled a lot around the Hot Springs AR area in the 80s and 90s when there was good action around there. Calvin was also a very big fan of enhancement. Matter of fact, I never got to play him when he was un-enhanced.

Beard

However, in those days I was also a fan of enhancement, so there was no significant edge to anybody in that dept. Although, if we rated our condition by floors, you could say I was hovering around the 5th floor, while Calvin was looking down onto the roof.

Yeah and I'm pretty sure neither one of you kept your stash under the table. :D
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Actually, I did...

Actually, I did...

androd said:
Yeah and I'm pretty sure neither one of you kept your stash under the table. :D
Rod.

...I was always paranoid of the pool room being raided and me getting searched. If so, I was prepared to kick my coat a little further under the table.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
A thousand pardons...

A thousand pardons...

fred bentivegna said:
(I did notice that you edited your post to correct the spelling of Calvin's last name. My incorrect correction was based on your original misspelling)

Beard

A thousand pardons sir...I added an 'e' on the end, from memory (which ain't been too sporty lately)..:rolleyes:
I shall accept all the blame for your gross [sic] misspelling...As further penance, I shall shoot myself in the head,
until dead...:cool:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Example of such...

Example of such...

Originally Posted by androd
Yeah and I'm pretty sure neither one of you kept your stash under the table.
Rod.

...I was always paranoid of the pool room being raided and me getting searched. If so, I was prepared to kick my coat a little further under the table.

Beard

Here is one of my favorite related stories:

Efren Reyes was giving an exhibition on the South Side of Chicago. His opponent was Bugs Rucker. They were playing in Roosevelt Askew's poolroom on 63rd St. I was in there enjoying myself when the joint got raided. The poolroom was on the 2nd floor, and about 15 coppers suddenly came flying up the stairs. "Everybody up against the wall with your hands up!" Was shouted out. They had their guns out so we all complied. "If you have any weapons, lay them on the floor." "Don't worry, this is just a weapons sweep, nobody is going to jail today." Guns, needles, pipes, coke and heroin bags started hitting the floor. I had a big 2 gram bottle of coke on me and I dropped it onto the floor. They were going around collecting everything in big garbage bags. Even though they had promised to not arrest anybody, I was worried about that 2 grammar that was lying at my feet.
Since I have never gotten around to fully trusting law enforcement, I surreptitiously tried to kick it down the line with my foot. Pushed up against the wall, and all around the pool hall was a no-back bench for seating. Every four feet under the bench were wooden supports, and every time I tried to kick the little jug away it would bounce off the support and rebound back to me. Very disconcerting. Propped up against the wall and next to me, was an old scuff, pool player named, Cab Driver Joe. Joe had been sweating my efforts to shit-can the little bottle. What was a dilemma for me became an opportunity for him. Smoothly, and cool as a breeze, Joe stepped out of his right shoe and scooped up the bottle with his toes, and then stepped back into the shoe taking the jug along for the ride!

True to their word, the cops left without arresting anybody, taking with them about 20 or more pistols, knives, and enough dope to retire on. The funny thing was, if this bust had occurred on the North Side it would have made headline news. And no, I did not get my jug back from Cab Driver Joe. Fair is fair.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
A few years ago,Fred and I were bsing around at the dcc and I said I remember you used to use that ole cue that was always covered In powder. I said why did you use so much and he didn't miss beat and said that he used all that powder so he could get It all over the table, balls,
chalk, cloth..everything he could get some on.Ya know to kinda shark em he said.If ya'll ever saw his cue back then(It might still be just like that) you would not believe how covered It was from the bottom of the butt to the top!! You remember that Fred? When I ask you about that?
Thanks for telling me the truth Fred.You ole sharker you,haha John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Are you sure?

Are you sure?

John Brumback said:
A few years ago,Fred and I were bsing around at the dcc and I said I remember you used to use that ole cue that was always covered In powder. I said why did you use so much and he didn't miss beat and said that he used all that powder so he could get It all over the table, balls,
chalk, cloth..everything he could get some on.Ya know to kinda shark em he said.If ya'll ever saw his cue back then(It might still be just like that) you would not believe how covered It was from the bottom of the butt to the top!! You remember that Fred? When I ask you about that?
Thanks for telling me the truth Fred.You ole sharker you,haha John B.

I was probably lying.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
...As further penance, I shall shoot myself in the head,
until dead...:cool:

Could you please wait to do that until you-know-who gets re-elected??? That way we'd get a two-fer:p . You can leave this country and THEN shoot yourself in the head until dead. Of course, we do have to wait for awhile, on second thought just go ahead and kill yourself:D .

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
The greatest shark move I ever saw was when ..................

Beard
Let me tell all of you deep f@@king thinkers of the best shark move I've ever employed. When I'm directly in the line of vision of an opponent down to shoot I hold perfectly still. They are waiting for the shark move that never comes (if they are that type creep who does it to me) and if they repeatedly shark me I just quit anyway and let them go sleep in their car.

The greatest shark is running those balls right up his ass and taking his cash, they all act like good little boys when you do that.

The only thing that a "sharker" shows is his own self-doubt and timidity about what he's doing.

This is no special comment on any of the funny posts in this thread, just a general comment that you cannot shark me except by beating me, and then I don't care.

Dennis