A very gracious gesture from our own Sappo

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
(EDIT: I wrote a long rambling post earlier, that I've edited for brevity here.. anyone that read the previous spiel... please disregard)

I just wanted to alert you onepocket fans, you're in for a special treat, courtesy of the graciousness of our very own Sappo (Keith) from onepocket.org. 9 VHS tapes of the US Open Onepocket Championships from the Billiard Palace in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 10-15 years ago, will be posted for all of you to see for free

2 years ago, Sappo put up a thread to sell these onepocket tapes. Dick was interested in possibly buying them and paying to have them converted, then maybe selling them on DVD. Keith could have made a few hundred dollars off them.

Well he's decided to just share them with everyone. He contacted me to see if I would be interested in converting them over from VHS to Digital and upload from everyone to enjoy. I, of course, jumped at the chance to do so.

I have a few other projects I'm working on too, with the onepocket.org forum software upgrade at the top of my list. I got some finish up work to do for CD on some slides, I got 4 or 5 more matches to convert and upload for TAR of the US Open 10 Ball, and many more episodes of my visit to the DCC, and last but not least to come up with a nice creation of my DCC trip to try and inspire people to come to this years DCC. (which was my main purpose, but it turns out I've just been releasing all my footage instead of making a DVD to make a buck or two and promote the Derby)

Sappo can correct me or add to this story.. I'm just passing on what I remember when he called me. He was buying some tapes off of Ebay and won the bid. The owner of the Billiard Palace was the one selling whatever he bought and he offered to just throw in some tapes he made of the US Open Onepocket Championships at his poolroom. I am watching one of them while I type this and the visual quality is fine. Keeping in mind it's just a home camcorder and it's VHS. The camera setup is perfect for onepocket. There is no audio, but watching never before seen footage of some great players, you forget all about that. I'm watching Billy Incardona and Grady Mathews play right now.

Im selling 9 vhs tapes that contain 15 one pocket matches from the US OPEN tournaments that were held at the Billiard Palace in Kalmazoo Michigan. These are not accu-stats tapes. There were filmed be the owner of the Billiard Palace and as far as i know are the only copies that exist. There is no sound on these tapes just one pocket action at its best. The picture is not from overhead like an accu-stats tape but rather from high above looking from the foot end of the table. I must say that not all the matches listed below are 100% complete but by far most of these matches are complete. There are some terrific matches and some unbelievable moving and shooting. Listed below are whats on the tapes.

Tape 1 Bugs vs Dean Moore
Richie Richeson vs Paul Mottey

Tape 2 Cliff Joyner vs Jose Parica
Steve Cook vs Cliff Joyner

Tape 3 Bill Incardona vs Willie Munson

Tape 4 Larry Nevel vs Richie Richeson
Efrin Reyes vs Larry Nevel
Buddy Hall vs Cliff Joyner
Larry Nevel vs Efrin Reyes

Tape 5 Jack Cooney vs Bruce Perry
Freddy the Beard ve Richie Richeson {part 1}

Tape 6 Freddy the Beard vs Richie Richeson {part 2]

Tape 7 Bill Incardona vs Grady Mathews

Tape 8 Bill Incardona vs Cliff Joyner {semi final match}

Tape 9 Bill Incardona vs Cliff Joyner {finals}

So as you can see there is a tremendous amount of history here. I can tell you that a couple of the matches are just okay but most of the matches are wonderful. And you can see our own Beard give a good lesson on sharking and distracting poor Richie Richeson. And Wincardona play some world class one pocket.

Here is a couple of screenshots of a couple of the tapes. I will try and upload at least one match over the next few days.. but I want to concentrate on getting them converted from VHS to my computer, so they're safe and I can send Keith's tapes back to him. From there, I will just upload them as I get time, but due to my current situation, it's going to be a little rocky for a few months but I'll keep them coming.

Here is a shot of Billy vs Grady (as you can see the tapes are perfectly fine for watching some championship caliber onepocket from 10-15 years ago)

billy.jpg

Here we got a young Ghost playing Jack Cooney

ghost.jpg

And this is some seriously funny sh1t:D If you read Sappo's description above, he mentions Freddy giving Richie the business in the sharking area.. well I was just scanning thru it quick to take a pic and I see Freddy looking like he might come into view. So I proceed to watch it so get a screen grab and here's what happens.. keep in mind, this is a random area of the tape. It's game ball and Freddy goes to spot up a ball he made in a pocket. He spots up the ball and immediately bends down and starts messing around in the crutch area under the table. He didn't even use the crutch on his shot, but he stays down there fiddling away and Richie is all fired up to shoot his shot. He looks at it a bit, Freddy's still fiddling away, he gets down in his stance and is stroking the ball, Freddy's still down there fiddling away, Richie finally sees that he's not going to go away, so he gets up from his shot and walks up to the head of the table and gets the chalk. You can see him shaking his head and when he turns around you can see he's laughing and shaking his head. Well as soon as Richie got up from his shot, Freddy immediately stood up and apparently he was all done fiddling around when he saw Richie wasn't going to shoot with him down there. Funny as hell. I can't wait to see all the sharking:D
freddy1.jpg
freddy2.jpg

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
oh... I wanted to add.. since we have several of the people that are in these tapes, here on this site... if you can share when you think these were taken exactly and any personal stories to go along with them, that would be fantastic. I would like to put the dates on the video before uploading them. I think Sappo has 95 and 2000 down on some of them.. need to look closer. If anyone has a link to info on results of those tourneys, post it and I'll try and pinpoint based on who's playing who. Sappo might already have some of that.. didn't look that close yet.

thanks guys, and I know all of you will really enjoy these never before seen tapes of US Open OnePocket from Kalmazoo.:) Once again... shoot Sappo you're thanks for sharing these with everyone!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Thanks Greg, I wasnt expecting a big write up. The matches are terriffic and im sure every one pocket lover well truely enjoy them. Im glad to be in a position to share with everyone. Ive enjoyed onepocket.org for many years now and ive taken alot about the game from the site and this is a good way for me to make a meaningful contribution.
Thanks to Greg for taking on this project I know he will be putting in a lot of his time and effort Keith/Sappo

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
sappo (keith)
thank you for your generosity:)
i look foward to watching and learning from the tapes
larry

RedCard

Verified Member
The only thing wrong with the old 'crutch rack' shark is it can make you dizzy if your opponent is wise to it and stalls, keeping you down there longer than planned. Helps to have an oxygen bottle and a periscope to check on what's going on up top. You simply can't keep peeking up and then resuming the shark. It loses all effect.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
RedCard said:
The only thing wrong with the old 'crutch rack' shark is it can make you dizzy if your opponent is wise to it and stalls, keeping you down there longer than planned. Helps to have an oxygen bottle and a periscope to check on what's going on up top. You simply can't keep peeking up and then resuming the shark. It loses all effect.

The "subtle shark", as perfected by Mr. Ronnie Allen...is probably the most effective shark ever. He seems to say the right thing to distract you...I have been a victim of it many times. Eventually, I learned how to tune him out...In fact, I actually learned from him, how to push his buttons...:p It was fun at times :D

PS..Thanks for the good stuff Sappo. Don't remember what happened to our negotiations...???

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Panzco's

The Panzco's

RedCard said:

There was an old famous, lifetime burglary family in Chicago, the Panzco's. In and out of jail, and busted a million times. "Pop's" and "Peanuts" Panzco were father and son and led the Panzco pack. "Pop's," under police interrogation, uttered one of the greatest lines in Chicago crime history when he was asked about a certain caper that had just gone off. To get the full value of the line you should first know that the family's overall IQ bordered on room temperature -- with the A/C on. Pop's line: "I don't know nuttin', and I can prove it!"

Beard

"the periscope" was a very witty line.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
CaliRed said:
oh... I wanted to add.. since we have several of the people that are in these tapes, here on this site... if you can share when you think these were taken exactly and any personal stories to go along with them, that would be fantastic. I would like to put the dates on the video before uploading them. I think Sappo has 95 and 2000 down on some of them.. need to look closer. If anyone has a link to info on results of those tourneys, post it and I'll try and pinpoint based on who's playing who. Sappo might already have some of that.. didn't look that close yet.

thanks guys, and I know all of you will really enjoy these never before seen tapes of US Open OnePocket from Kalmazoo.:) Once again... shoot Sappo you're thanks for sharing these with everyone!

The Kalamazoo US OPEN One pocket championships the year that Joyner beat me in the finals was my best effort ever in a one pocket tournament. I was playing the best one pocket in the country at that time and was showing it at this tournament. I have always dogged it in tournaments and never really was able to play my speed in them but in this tournament I was playing lights out, untill the finals where I didn't sleep at all the night before the finals and was weak playing Joyner. I did the same thing in the Roanoke One pocket tournament where Dave Bollman beat me in the finals to win that tournament, no, sleeping pills didn't work.

I try not to brag about my game but every now and then I kinda owe it to myself to do it.:eek: Yea you should see my beat list:D :D :D wow, that really felt good.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
CaliRed said:
(EDIT: I wrote a long rambling post earlier, that I've edited for brevity here.. anyone that read the previous spiel... please disregard)

I just wanted to alert you onepocket fans, you're in for a special treat, courtesy of the graciousness of our very own Sappo (Keith) from onepocket.org. 9 VHS tapes of the US Open Onepocket Championships from the Billiard Palace in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 10-15 years ago, will be posted for all of you to see for free

2 years ago, Sappo put up a thread to sell these onepocket tapes. Dick was interested in possibly buying them and paying to have them converted, then maybe selling them on DVD. Keith could have made a few hundred dollars off them.

Well he's decided to just share them with everyone. He contacted me to see if I would be interested in converting them over from VHS to Digital and upload from everyone to enjoy. I, of course, jumped at the chance to do so.

I have a few other projects I'm working on too, with the onepocket.org forum software upgrade at the top of my list. I got some finish up work to do for CD on some slides, I got 4 or 5 more matches to convert and upload for TAR of the US Open 10 Ball, and many more episodes of my visit to the DCC, and last but not least to come up with a nice creation of my DCC trip to try and inspire people to come to this years DCC. (which was my main purpose, but it turns out I've just been releasing all my footage instead of making a DVD to make a buck or two and promote the Derby)

Sappo can correct me or add to this story.. I'm just passing on what I remember when he called me. He was buying some tapes off of Ebay and won the bid. The owner of the Billiard Palace was the one selling whatever he bought and he offered to just throw in some tapes he made of the US Open Onepocket Championships at his poolroom. I am watching one of them while I type this and the visual quality is fine. Keeping in mind it's just a home camcorder and it's VHS. The camera setup is perfect for onepocket. There is no audio, but watching never before seen footage of some great players, you forget all about that. I'm watching Billy Incardona and Grady Mathews play right now.

Im selling 9 vhs tapes that contain 15 one pocket matches from the US OPEN tournaments that were held at the Billiard Palace in Kalmazoo Michigan. These are not accu-stats tapes. There were filmed be the owner of the Billiard Palace and as far as i know are the only copies that exist. There is no sound on these tapes just one pocket action at its best. The picture is not from overhead like an accu-stats tape but rather from high above looking from the foot end of the table. I must say that not all the matches listed below are 100% complete but by far most of these matches are complete. There are some terrific matches and some unbelievable moving and shooting. Listed below are whats on the tapes.

Tape 1 Bugs vs Dean Moore
Richie Richeson vs Paul Mottey

Tape 2 Cliff Joyner vs Jose Parica
Steve Cook vs Cliff Joyner

Tape 3 Bill Incardona vs Willie Munson

Tape 4 Larry Nevel vs Richie Richeson
Efrin Reyes vs Larry Nevel
Buddy Hall vs Cliff Joyner
Larry Nevel vs Efrin Reyes

Tape 5 Jack Cooney vs Bruce Perry
Freddy the Beard ve Richie Richeson {part 1}

Tape 6 Freddy the Beard vs Richie Richeson {part 2]

Tape 7 Bill Incardona vs Grady Mathews

Tape 8 Bill Incardona vs Cliff Joyner {semi final match}

Tape 9 Bill Incardona vs Cliff Joyner {finals}

So as you can see there is a tremendous amount of history here. I can tell you that a couple of the matches are just okay but most of the matches are wonderful. And you can see our own Beard give a good lesson on sharking and distracting poor Richie Richeson. And Wincardona play some world class one pocket.

Here is a couple of screenshots of a couple of the tapes. I will try and upload at least one match over the next few days.. but I want to concentrate on getting them converted from VHS to my computer, so they're safe and I can send Keith's tapes back to him. From there, I will just upload them as I get time, but due to my current situation, it's going to be a little rocky for a few months but I'll keep them coming.

Here is a shot of Billy vs Grady (as you can see the tapes are perfectly fine for watching some championship caliber onepocket from 10-15 years ago)

View attachment 3661

Here we got a young Ghost playing Jack Cooney

View attachment 3662

And this is some seriously funny sh1t:D If you read Sappo's description above, he mentions Freddy giving Richie the business in the sharking area.. well I was just scanning thru it quick to take a pic and I see Freddy looking like he might come into view. So I proceed to watch it so get a screen grab and here's what happens.. keep in mind, this is a random area of the tape. It's game ball and Freddy goes to spot up a ball he made in a pocket. He spots up the ball and immediately bends down and starts messing around in the crutch area under the table. He didn't even use the crutch on his shot, but he stays down there fiddling away and Richie is all fired up to shoot his shot. He looks at it a bit, Freddy's still fiddling away, he gets down in his stance and is stroking the ball, Freddy's still down there fiddling away, Richie finally sees that he's not going to go away, so he gets up from his shot and walks up to the head of the table and gets the chalk. You can see him shaking his head and when he turns around you can see he's laughing and shaking his head. Well as soon as Richie got up from his shot, Freddy immediately stood up and apparently he was all done fiddling around when he saw Richie wasn't going to shoot with him down there. Funny as hell. I can't wait to see all the sharking:D
View attachment 3663
View attachment 3664

That's some funny shit, iif the truth was known Freddies beat list wouldn't have been nearly as long:) ;) Just kidding.:p

Billy I.

RedCard

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
There was an old famous, lifetime burglary family in Chicago, the Panzco's. In and out of jail, and busted a million times. "Pop's" and "Peanuts" Panzco were father and son and led the Panzco pack. "Pop's," under police interrogation, uttered one of the greatest lines in Chicago crime history when he was asked about a certain caper that had just gone off. To get the full value of the line you should first know that the family's overall IQ bordered on room temperature -- with the A/C on. Pop's line: "I don't know nuttin', and I can prove it!"

Beard

"the periscope" was a very witty line.

There is an old guy down here, IQ a bit lower than what you ascribed to the Panzco mob. His son was the manager/bartender at a bar I used to drink at, him and his dad were pretty well liked and came up with some gems. A few years ago the dad's (much younger) girlfriend was found dead under suspicious circumstances. The dad was the prime and only suspect. Before he got a lawyer he allowed his brilliant self to be interviewed on camera by a TV reporter. At one point during the piece he blurted out that he had passed the lie detector test…TWO of 'em. Nobody was ever charged. They are both pretty tough so most of the OJ jokes about finding the real killer were said in private.

Not relevant to this, but after the probable killer's son was promoted from the side of the bar which was a deli to the bar proper, carrying the weight of the Panzcoian IQ he had a little trouble learning to pour an acceptable drink. Me and a buddy were drinking there one day and he only filled my glass about three fourths full. I asked my friend if he could speak to RJ about filling my glass all the way up. (The top ½-¾" or so is very important since the glass sort of flares out there, holding more). At the time my buddy was representing him on a minor pot charge and, being the consummate attorney, puffed up and looked at me and said 'he's my client, I'll not hear any bad about him…'. Then he looked at my glass, which was a big one to start with and had about a half pint of straight Johnny Walker Black in it, and burst out laughing.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Redcard said:
wincardona said:
That's some funny shit, iif the truth was known Freddies beat list wouldn't have been nearly as long:) ;) Just kidding.:p

Billy I.
I'm telling you, and you guys will have to see this for yourself... but it had me laughing out loud. I played it back about 10 times, it was so funny. In fact, I may just post that few second clip tonight, just so you guys see what the hell I'm talking about.

Freddy, in one motion, goes from spotting the ball to immedietely bending down to fiddle around under the table. He doesn't look up once and seems very intent on whatever the hell he's doing. Richie is looking at this options, then he steps into the shot and gets down on it.. he takes a few strokes.. he wants to shoot it really bad.. He really believes that Freddy will be out of there any second.. but Freddy shows no sign of getting whatever he's doing down there "done". Richie at that point realizes that he's not doing anything under there but trying to shark him so he gets up from his shot and walks up and gets the chalk to kill some time to wait Freddy out. he was laughing and shaking his head in disbelief.

And the funniest part of the whole thing, was as soon as Richie took off to kill some time, Freddy miraculously got "done" with whatever he was doing and got up and went back to his chair. He never looked at Richie or nothing.. he was playing it all the way to the bank. Now at that point, Freddy knew he had been busted, but he appeared to keep up with the "Good Samaritan" act all the way back to his chair.

All I can say.. is it must be a treat to play Freddy... since he will look out for any equipment failures or any hazards while you're playing him.:D

It just might he tends to those "issues" when you're trying to shoot the game ball.:eek:

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
The "subtle shark", as perfected by Mr. Ronnie Allen...is probably the most effective shark ever. He seems to say the right thing to distract you...I have been a victim of it many times. Eventually, I learned how to tune him out...In fact, I actually learned from him, how to push his buttons...:p It was fun at times :D

PS..Thanks for the good stuff Sappo. Don't remember what happened to our negotiations...???

The subtle sharks that work on your opponent's mind are the most effective and draw the least heat. They also occupy mental resources that could otherwise be directed at planning game strategy. I learned that late. I once dropped a full can of beer, in timely fashion, in back of a guy that shot in front of a friend in a seven handed $20.00 nine ball game in St. Pete. He shot immediately up in the air. One of those good players from Louisville, can't remember his name right now, started laughing and said 'you wouldn't shark anybody, would you?'. He was the only one who thought it was funny, I ended up with a fair amount of steam directed my way over that.

Later, when I realized that sharking was a bigger part of my game than my game was, I pretty much quit playing. Probably added years to my life.

RedCard

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
I'm telling you, and you guys will have to see this for yourself... but it had me laughing out loud. I played it back about 10 times, it was so funny. In fact, I may just post that few second clip tonight, just so you guys see what the hell I'm talking about.

Freddy, in one motion, goes from spotting the ball to immedietely bending down to fiddle around under the table. He doesn't look up once and seems very intent on whatever the hell he's doing. Richie is looking at this options, then he steps into the shot and gets down on it.. he takes a few strokes.. he wants to shoot it really bad.. He really believes that Freddy will be out of there any second.. but Freddy shows no sign of getting whatever he's doing down there "done". Richie at that point realizes that he's not doing anything under there but trying to shark him so he gets up from his shot and walks up and gets the chalk to kill some time to wait Freddy out. he was laughing and shaking his head in disbelief.

And the funniest part of the whole thing, was as soon as Richie took off to kill some time, Freddy miraculously got "done" with whatever he was doing and got up and went back to his chair. He never looked at Richie or nothing.. he was playing it all the way to the bank. Now at that point, Freddy knew he had been busted, but he appeared to keep up with the "Good Samaritan" act all the way back to his chair.

All I can say.. is it must be a treat to play Freddy... since he will look out for any equipment failures or any hazards while you're playing him.:D

It must might he tends to those "issues" when you're trying to shoot the game ball.:eek:

I told my wife about it after you posted it. She knows nothing of pool or the kind of stuff I've done. She does have a good sense of humor. I gave her enough background that by the time I got to the part about Freddy finally strolling away from the table she got the picture and was laughing out loud.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bottom line...

Bottom line...

CaliRed said:

It just might he tends to those "issues" when you're trying to shoot the game ball.:eek:

Who won that match, by the way? Richie was playing the best pool of his life then.

Beard

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
Who won that match, by the way. Richie was playing the best pool of his life then.

Beard
I don't know hopefully its all there. Do you happen to remember that particular incident? I assume it is safe to say there wasn't a emergency under the table:D. If that was a move...which it. Appeared to be....was it very often used? What would you say if someone grilled you on what the hell you were doing under there:D

crystal cue

Verified Member
sappo said:
Thanks Greg, I wasnt expecting a big write up. The matches are terriffic and im sure every one pocket lover well truely enjoy them. Im glad to be in a position to share with everyone. Ive enjoyed onepocket.org for many years now and ive taken alot about the game from the site and this is a good way for me to make a meaningful contribution.
Thanks to Greg for taking on this project I know he will be putting in a lot of his time and effort Keith/Sappo

Thank you Sappo,I will watch every match thats posted,Calired,you are an asset to onepocket.org.Thank you both.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Don't remember

Don't remember

CaliRed said:
I don't know hopefully its all there. Do you happen to remember that particular incident? I assume it is safe to say there wasn't a emergency under the table:D. If that was a move...which it. Appeared to be....was it very often used? What would you say if someone grilled you on what the hell you were doing under there:D

I truthfully dont remember the incident. I dont even recall it being a regular in my repertoire. I dont know what I was doing down there, but I'm sure I would have had come up with a good reason for it.

For a veritable tour de force of some classic examples of gamesmanship, here is a link. http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=540#ofGamesmanship

Beard

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
I truthfully dont remember the incident. I dont even recall it being a regular in my repertoire. I dont know what I was doing down there, but I'm sure I would have had come up with a good reason for it.

For a veritable tour de force of some classic examples of gamesmanship, here is a link. http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=540#ofGamesmanship

Beard

well hell then... freddy.. it might have been legit then :)

I'm getting the last part of your match converted off now as we speak... you got some pep in your step , i think this the last game.