Danny D in BCA HOF

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
AZBilliards is about to post this info on their news home page.

Danny DiLiberto and Ralf Souquet have been elected to the BCA HOF and are to be inducted at the US Open 9 Ball tournament in October

Congrats to two very deserving men and players.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Total amount of players who beat Danny..

Total amount of players who beat Danny..

SactownTom said:
AZBilliards is about to post this info on their news home page.

Danny DiLiberto and Ralf Souquet have been elected to the BCA HOF and are to be inducted at the US Open 9 Ball tournament in October

Congrats to two very deserving men and players.

...Di playing straight pool in the 60s in Miami, Fl. Total: zero. Mizerak, Cisero, etc.

Beard

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Usbma

Usbma

United States Billiard Media Association USBMA
Listed members

These are the voters of the Billiards HOF now.

• Fred Agnir — Independent and InsidePool (specializing in cues)
• Don Akerlow — On The Break News
• Carla Bonner — Photographer
• Steve Booth — OnePocket.org
• Jason Bowman — American Poolplayers Association
• Conrad Burkman — Professor Q-Ball’s National Pool & 3-Cushion News
• Robert Byrne — Independent (author, TV commentator, freelance writer, Billiards Digest contributing editor)
• J.R. Calvert — InsidePool Magazine
• R.A. “Jake” Dyer — Independent (author, freelance writer, historian)
• George Fels — Billiards Digest
• Pat Fleming — Accu-Stats Video Productions
• Jerry Forsyth — Independent (freelance writer, TV commentator, Pool & Billiard tournament editor)
• Paul Frankel — Professor Q-Ball’s National Pool & 3-Cushion News
• Mike Geffner — Billiards Digest
• Diana Hoppe — Freelance photographer, tournament reports
• Mike Howerton — azbilliards.com
• Karin Kaltofen — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Mitch Laurance — ESPN announcer
• Nicholas Leider — Billiards Digest
• Ted Lerner — Independent (international pool journalist, based in Philippines)
• Dave Merrill — Q Ball Express. Cue Times
• Mike Panozzo — Billiards Digest
• Luke Riches — Matchroom Sport
• Holly Ryan — Cue Sports International
• Sandy Schuman — Inside English
• Thomas Shaw — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Harold Simonsen — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Shari Stauch — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Rob Sykora — Billiard Club Network
• David Thomson — Medium Pool
• Sally Timko — InsidePool Magazine
• Jon L. Wertheim — Sports Illustrated
• Phil Yates — Independent (snooker journalist)

SactownTom said:
United States Billiard Media Association USBMA
Listed members

These are the voters of the Billiards HOF now.

• Fred Agnir — Independent and InsidePool (specializing in cues)
• Don Akerlow — On The Break News
• Carla Bonner — Photographer
• Steve Booth — OnePocket.org
• Jason Bowman — American Poolplayers Association
• Conrad Burkman — Professor Q-Ball’s National Pool & 3-Cushion News
• Robert Byrne — Independent (author, TV commentator, freelance writer, Billiards Digest contributing editor)
• J.R. Calvert — InsidePool Magazine
• R.A. “Jake” Dyer — Independent (author, freelance writer, historian)
• George Fels — Billiards Digest
• Pat Fleming — Accu-Stats Video Productions
• Jerry Forsyth — Independent (freelance writer, TV commentator, Pool & Billiard tournament editor)
• Paul Frankel — Professor Q-Ball’s National Pool & 3-Cushion News
• Mike Geffner — Billiards Digest
• Diana Hoppe — Freelance photographer, tournament reports
• Mike Howerton — azbilliards.com
• Karin Kaltofen — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Mitch Laurance — ESPN announcer
• Nicholas Leider — Billiards Digest
• Ted Lerner — Independent (international pool journalist, based in Philippines)
• Dave Merrill — Q Ball Express. Cue Times
• Mike Panozzo — Billiards Digest
• Luke Riches — Matchroom Sport
• Holly Ryan — Cue Sports International
• Sandy Schuman — Inside English
• Thomas Shaw — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Harold Simonsen — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Shari Stauch — Pool & Billiard Magazine
• Rob Sykora — Billiard Club Network
• David Thomson — Medium Pool
• Sally Timko — InsidePool Magazine
• Jon L. Wertheim — Sports Illustrated
• Phil Yates — Independent (snooker journalist)

So the media votes on this? No offense to the pool media, but how could a photographer, for example, possibly be qualified to vote? Who sits on the board of the BCA?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Clare said:
So the media votes on this? No offense to the pool media, but how could a photographer, for example, possibly be qualified to vote? Who sits on the board of the BCA?

BCA board members. http://www.bca.affiniscape.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=21 IMO have even less qualifications then the USBMA.

Mostly a group of NON-pool players.

The USBMA members at least travel to the majority of the major USA tournaments and see the players play.

It surprizes me that the Referees and Tournament directors aren't at least given the opportunity to provide a list of 'recommendations' from their 'up close and personal' experiences with the players.

JAM

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
BCA board members. http://www.bca.affiniscape.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=21 IMO have even less qualifications then the USBMA.

Mostly a group of NON-pool players.

The USBMA members at least travel to the majority of the major USA tournaments and see the players play.

It surprizes me that the Referees and Tournament directors aren't at least given the opportunity to provide a list of 'recommendations' from their 'up close and personal' experiences with the players.

One thing for sure, I recognize all the names on that list. I don't know hardly any of the names who are members of the BCA administration. They seem to be bowlers and dart people mostly.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
...and probably are!

...and probably are!

JAM said:
One thing for sure, I recognize all the names on that list. I don't know hardly any of the names who are members of the BCA administration. They seem to be bowlers and dart people mostly.

When the BCA had its headquarter in Chicago, I attended a lot of meetings. The membership of the BCA was made up of mostly billiard supply manufacturers, and a few local pool room owners. The decisions that were made there were made by people who spent zero time in a pool room and who couldnt run 2 balls. Worse still, the people with the most influence on everything was based on who had the biggest factory. At this time Brunswick had dropped away from the BCA and the biggest magoo in the BCA was Roy Gandy, who also couldnt run 2 balls.
The chairman of the rules committee, the people who made up the BCA rulebook for the upcoming year was Nick Page. Nick owned the poolroom in Chicago, Marie's Golden Cue. Nick didnt know the five ball from a Florida orange. He determined the rules everyone was going to play by!

Then they brought a guy in from the National Sporting Goods Assn to head the BCA. He hated the job and knew less than Nick about pool.
They wanted him to run a big BCA bar tourn in Tenn. The rules hadnt been determined yet. The man was lost. He knew I was a pool player and called me to his office to consult and help him with the tourn. It was going to be a handicapped tourn, and this was the format they were originally going to go with: Playing Eight Ball, take balls off after the break. The worse the player, the more balls get taken off after the break! I finally convinced him, in my usual insulting way, that the more balls taken off helps the better player. Instead of a spot it is even more of a handicap. He finally changed it and diverted a disaster. People wonder why pool never took off.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just talked to Danny...

Just talked to Danny...

...Di. He called me this morning to invite me to speak at his induction ceremony at the US Open. He was happier than a clam, and very moved by his long overdue selection.

Still a guy with a quick quip, he remarked, "I thought they were going to wait until I was dead so they wouldnt have to buy me a ring.":) He is actually being fitted for a ring today. He says it's very nice and will cost multiple k's.

Beard

Attachments

• danny d (600 x 399).jpg
    danny d (600 x 399).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • DannyDi fighterpic.jpg
    DannyDi fighterpic.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
What is the story about his autographed photo? Was that his boxer name?

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Me, Mr. Wu from "Deadwood", and Brooklyn Butch got to congratulate an ecstatic Danny DiLiberto for his HOF honors over the phone from the pool hall in Santa Monica today.

JAM

Verified Member
JAM said:
What is the story about his autographed photo? Was that his boxer name?

Does anybody know the answer to this about Danny's autographed name on the photo in Freddy's post? :confused:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
"Stage" name

"Stage" name

JAM said:
Does anybody know the answer to this about Danny's autographed name on the photo in Freddy's post? :confused:

That was the name Danny fought under. Danny Torianie. I think Angelo Dundee picked it out for him.

Beard

Danny wants me to go to the HOF ceremony and tell the, "Danny never swears" story, but there is a "paper" shortage and it looks kind of dim.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'm sure he would

I'm sure he would

petie said:
Go Jose. I have heard Jose pine that he would like to be in the HOF. He cedrtainly deserves it.

Jose was very moved that he had been inducted into the OnePocket Hall of Fame in 2010. He gave a nice little gracious speech.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have spent most of my years playing pool, playing and watching Danny. Danny has always been one of my favorite players/person in the pool world. We have always been rivals, he beat me in the Johnston City All around championship in the year 1972. Danny has a super strong straight pool game, and a very strong one pocket game, his 9 ball game was not his best because of his weak break, but in spite of that he was always tough to beat playing 9 ball. Danny today is the best color commentator in the game and he and Jim Wych are the best duo in pool commentary. Danny has also been giving pool lessons for at least, I don't know how many years but he has given lessons to some of the best players in our game.

Danny Diliberto is a great represenative for our sport, and i'm thrilled he has been inducted into The BCA Hall Of Fame.:) :D :cool:

I believe Parica will have his time.

Billy I.