One Pocket Books

bstroud

Verified Member
I read all the books listed and half to say that while there are some things to be learned in all of them nothing takes the place of curiosity. Seeing a shot that you do not know and looking for the solution. It usually comes from hours of practice and repetition.

Playing with better players is another solution. I never play another player giving up a big spot that they don't shoot a shot that they learned from me in the same session. It would drive me crazy if I didn't expect it.

Other ways to improve are to practice bank, straight and 9 ball. All will help your one pocket.

I just spent the last 5 days practicing straight pool 8 hours a day and never intend to play a game. It helps me to move balls out of the way and practice little spin position shots. It teaches you to open up paths and to move balls just a little to make runs easier. Without this kind of knowledge you will never be a good one pocket player.

I am 70 years old and continue to learn something about pool every day. All you have to do is play and practice. It will come.

Reading a book is only good if you practice what you have read.

Bill Stroud

naji

Verified Member
Does anyone know why Efren does not have a book or teaching video out in one pocket, or does he?? I am sure as hell he will sell lots of them?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Rick said:
Eddie Robin's books are obviously in great demand, and the few copies available for sale are beyond the budget for a lot of us. In addition, the used copies sold do not earn a dime for Eddie Robin. I would pay a reasonable amount for ebook versions of his one-pocket books. If he sold each ebook for even $20, he would sell thousands of copies.

It seems like a win-win situation: we all get access to the books, and he makes a ton of money with little or no additional effort. I don't know Mr. Robin, but anyone who does might suggest this idea.

At least you admit you are too cheep to pay the real price for these books. I'd like to ask you why you don't think they are a bargain? You pay the real price, read them, improve your one pocket game, and sell them for the same price. What a bargain. Oh, you can't buy mine. They aren't for sale.

Rick

From
Camarillo, CA
You're Missing the Point

You're Missing the Point

Petie, you're missing the point. I'm not the issue here. Instead, the issue is one of an artificially created shortage of something in demand. Unlike things like oil or diamonds, which are finite in supply, and the sellers of which will someday run out, the information in books will continue as long as we allow it to continue.

Because Mr. Robin doesn't want to have his books re-released in any form, access to the information is limited to those copies already in existence. As the number of those copies that are for sale shrinks (people buy, then keep the books), the price goes up. Again, if this were oil or diamonds I would understand; the supply of those are not artificially limited. Eventually, they will run out. In contrast, the information in books can be duplicated infinitely, and with little or no effort. Additionally, it's not the book itself that we find so valuable (this isn't a Gutenberg bible), it's the knowledge contained within the book. That's why it doesn't matter to me what form of book it is, physical or ebook.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Rick said:
Petie, you're missing the point. I'm not the issue here. Instead, the issue is one of an artificially created shortage of something in demand. Unlike things like oil or diamonds, which are finite in supply, and the sellers of which will someday run out, the information in books will continue as long as we allow it to continue.

Because Mr. Robin doesn't want to have his books re-released in any form, access to the information is limited to those copies already in existence. As the number of those copies that are for sale shrinks (people buy, then keep the books), the price goes up. Again, if this were oil or diamonds I would understand; the supply of those are not artificially limited. Eventually, they will run out. In contrast, the information in books can be duplicated infinitely, and with little or no effort. Additionally, it's not the book itself that we find so valuable (this isn't a Gutenberg bible), it's the knowledge contained within the book. That's why it doesn't matter to me what form of book it is, physical or ebook.

And how does Eddie derive income on the endless knockoffs that will inevitably occur?

Rick

From
Camarillo, CA
Reasonable Prices

Reasonable Prices

petie said:
And how does Eddie derive income on the endless knockoffs that will inevitably occur?

Make the price reasonable, and it won't be worth the effort to duplicate the book. When Mr. Robin's books first came out, and were selling for under $40, I doubt that anyone was photocopying them for distribution. Why? Because for a reasonable price anyone could buy a copy. Even mainstream authors have their books pirated, but those are a small number compared to the number sold, and from which they derive income. If that weren't the case, who would write books for a living?

Make the books available in print, and make them available in ebook form with Digital Rights Management (DRM) for some level of protection from duplication. Is it a perfect system? No, but what is. Sell the ebooks through Amazon, and Mr. Robin would earn about 70% of the purchase price for each copy sold. He wouldn't become a millionaire, but he would earn a lot more money for the sale of his books than he does now. Remember, each time someone purchases one of his books used, Mr. Robin earns exactly zero.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rick said:
Make the price reasonable, and it won't be worth the effort to duplicate the book. When Mr. Robin's books first came out, and were selling for under $40, I doubt that anyone was photocopying them for distribution. Why? Because for a reasonable price anyone could buy a copy. Even mainstream authors have their books pirated, but those are a small number compared to the number sold, and from which they derive income. If that weren't the case, who would write books for a living?

Make the books available in print, and make them available in ebook form with Digital Rights Management (DRM) for some level of protection from duplication. Is it a perfect system? No, but what is. Sell the ebooks through Amazon, and Mr. Robin would earn about 70% of the purchase price for each copy sold. He wouldn't become a millionaire, but he would earn a lot more money for the sale of his books than he does now. Remember, each time someone purchases one of his books used, Mr. Robin earns exactly zero.

There's not enough people interested in these books to make your argument valid.
I have several limited edition artist prints, so maybe artists also limit their work.
Rod.
PS. Toughen up or fu'gidaboutit

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
ebooks

ebooks

Rick said:

You got it backwards. Amazon KEEPS 70% of the purchase price. And the purchase prices do not go above $10. Maybe $11. I know because both my books are Digital on Amazon. Also it is a nightmare to convert a book with diagrams into Digital format. Amazon themselves are not much help. It took me six months to make the conversion.

I also believe the books were $50 when they first came out. I could be wrong. I got mine for free because I was one of the players Eddie consulted when he was writing the book.

I am pretty sure Eddie has a stash of books and I think that one of the people leaking copies out thru ebay and et al, is Eddie himself. So he does get paid, like $200 or $300 a pop. You must realize that you are dealing with the New York mind.

Beard

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Rick said:

Why not do another book and make it even better than those old books. He can't claim pool shot diagrams can he? If so, then move the balls a little bit and do it even better. Get some folks from right here to help you. Don't think like a pool player all the time or you're ****ed. Just because they look like encyclopedias and people make treasured keepsakes out of them and get them signed by everybody and all of that, I say **** that. Do a better book and don't worry about Robbins. He can look out for himself

Rick

From
Camarillo, CA
I'm getting the feeling that most or all of you are content with the way things are now. Fine, you own your copies and everyone else can get theirs. And I have a copy on its way to me from an out-of-state library, so my problem, at least with the first book, Winning One-Pocket, is solved. But that isn't the point. All of us love this rather arcane game, and I, for one, would like to see its popularity spread. I'm tired of watching only nine-ball on ESPN. But until one-pocket becomes more well known to the general public it will remain a game for the few of us that know of it and appreciate it.

Books would at least help to give one-pocket some visibility. My suggestions about the books aren't perfect, but why make the perfect the enemy of the good? If Mr. Robin is unwilling to re-release his books in any form, then maybe Jimmy B is on to something, absent the copyright issues.

Any other ideas?