J. Breit vs. Bob Osborne 1991 Legends of One Pocket: Philadelphia Style

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Play the combo and stun the cueball to the bottom rail. :) The 14 looks like it could carry his 5 away?

Early in a match I may passively bank the high ball to my side and put him on the bottom rail if the combo/cleanout shot has risk to it.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Hit the one into the rail just above the second diamond sending it back ito the stack to knock some balls over to your side and stun whitie up table to try to die on the head rail.

If this is the same game I have on DVD, it was a real dogfight and had Buddie Hall gigglin' like crazy because both players were missing so badly.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
petie said:
Hit the one into the rail just above the second diamond sending it back ito the stack to knock some balls over to your side and stun whitie up table to try to die on the head rail.

If this is the same game I have on DVD, it was a real dogfight and had Buddie Hall gigglin' like crazy because both players were missing so badly.
i like that shot
id try to hit the 15 and avoid hitting the 9 either directly or via carum
petie usually its not good when we agree:D

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
I would ticky off the 4 ball (the ball nearest the 1 ball) into the side rail, then down to the endrail, for a safety. :)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
petie said:

This is the shot I saw.:)
Rod.
PS, looks like Red looking to shoot ? :confused:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1

bstroud

Verified Member
The shot here is not about trying to duck and leave it safe. Just look at the ball situation. You can never will this game with the balls all on the wrong side.

The shot in post #4 is the correct shot. You need to hit it pretty hard but the real part of the shot is to get the cue ball near the end rail and on the side rail.

If you hit it well you now have a change to will the game.

Having played Red a lot of one pocket I am willing to bet the even if you hit the shot perfect he will still have a way to wiggle out of it.

I learned more one pocket playing him for 20,00 than I can remember. He was a very generous player.

Bill Stroud

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
when i looked at this, i saw two shots (1) mr. henderson's and (2) mr. almanza's. i didnt like petie's/androd's because of fear of a sell out without a perfect hit.

i didn't see this shot as an option coming at all. jesus christ, i got a lot to learn.........

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Miller said:
when i looked at this, i saw two shots (1) mr. henderson's and (2) mr. almanza's. i didnt like petie's/androd's because of fear of a sell out without a perfect hit.

i didn't see this shot as an option coming at all. jesus christ, i got a lot to learn.........

Not to worry. It wasn't much of a shot.:D and you wouldn't want to learn it.
Rod.

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
I'd have to bank the one in the stack or tap the 8 ball as mentioned. Bob had no offense going for him, now Red might two rail the 8?, send whitey up table using the stripe as a blocker. Its only gets worst for big Bob.

Rod

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
just an opinion

just an opinion

I agree with Rodney here Bob's choice was not a strong one as you can plainly see, he allowed Red back at the table to put him in more trouble by shooting the 8 ball two rails and send the cue ball up table. In all fairness even though Bob is a top player one pocket has never been his best game. Bob has always been regarded as a top 9 ball player who played snooker at a high level as well, but one pocket he didn't start playing until later in life. But he stills plays pretty sporty, but this shot obviously didn't show it.

I would defer to the top players on this site as opposed to many of the shots that these illustrations depict. But then again we can and will always learn new things by going through these exercises here at one pocket.org. No one has the market cornered on knowledge playing one pocket, there will always be more to be learned.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
angles..angles...angles.

angles..angles...angles.

Thanks to Dennis and Larry in particular and all the other members who have kept this learning process going forward a great learning tool for every one.

There have been many times when the angles depicted are not the actual angle that the player sees at the table. Based on the player and the choice he makes often clears up this some what clouded area.

As an example lets take this shot Bob was confronted with. It looks like the shot that Rodney likes by banking the 1 ball into the balls and going up table with the cue ball is a good choice, providing the angle to execute the shot lays well. Since Bob chose another shot that was considerably weaker than Rod's choice i'm saying that the angle for Rods shot was not available. After all there really aren't many good choices here and Rods choice should be recognized if available by most one pocket players. It's a type of a shot that is recognizable, for the reason that it is quite often our first option.

As far as the second option is concerned there really aren't too many decent ones. So with this understanding we will try to reposition the cue ball where our opponent can't put us in trouble on the next shot. What we don't want to do, which is a common mistake, is try to force something that's not available and give up balls, or position in doing so. Maybe in this instance it's shooting the 1 ball (sorry Rod);)

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bstroud said:
A lost opportunity.

Bill Stroud
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a lost opportunity, unless every time at the table is an opportunity. I guess it's all in how we interpret the word opportunity.

Lets just say that there were better choices.:D

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
what shot's are we looking for??

what shot's are we looking for??

For all the players that want to improve their one pocket game you must never overlook the shots that are discussed as options just because there not the choice the player at the table chooses. Like I mentioned earlier that the angle often depicted in the illustration is not the actual angle the player at the table sees. But we as aspiring one pocket players should envision the angle actually being there as an option, even if it isn't it's a great learning tool in developing our imagination, and the understanding of positions.

Billy I.